PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Need some help with threat

bluecomp3
07-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Hello my name is hitma, just registered but have been using your site for a long time. Usually I can find out whats the problem by reading forum posts but, this time its serious...

Here is my Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/norgannon/Hitma/advanced

I (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/norgannon/Hitma/advanced)ve been tanking for a while but here is the problem. Ive been gone for a really long time as well. I came back when cata first came out and got some gear ( blues and some epics ) and then quit again. I missed two patches the Zul one and the 4.2 i came back about... 5 days ago.

Ive been mostly doing heroics and ect i did a pug BWL the other day but, it was a pug >.< didnt get far. I like to consider myself a mastery fanatic. I like mastery and as far as i understand its the best stat to this date as long as nothing has changed. I use to raid alot in 10mans back in LK but have not tanked much, except heroics in Cata and some BWL and BoT 10 man. Long story short my threat it seems is terrible. I tryed doing heroics today and failed on threat. I use to be unstoppable on threat single and aoe. And i use to be a great tank because my threat, even with dps pushing ungodly numbers from the start.

My main questions are as follows:

1) What rotations should I be using for single and aoe threat.
2) Is there something wrong with my spec, and is there a threat + aoe, or Just general tanking spec i could use since i do like to dps as well. ( arms ) Im really look for a threat or aoe spec. I know a surv spec.
3) I have just started back, so i know my gear is not that good. But is it that bad? ( except weapon im working on that... or is that my problem a crap weapon?)
4) Could it be that im just doing heroics and maybe some how getting rage starved?
5) Has something changed with aoe threat / single target that i didn't see in patch notes?

Im sure you guys see this question 100 times a month but, im really at a loss of words. This is really annoying, and i dont think its just because im rusty.

IF you have questions I Have answers! so please ask.

Thanks alot for your time.
-Hitma-

Loganisis
07-18-2011, 12:41 PM
My main questions are as follows:

1) What rotations should I be using for single and aoe threat.
2) Is there something wrong with my spec, and is there a threat + aoe, or Just general tanking spec i could use since i do like to dps as well. ( arms ) Im really look for a threat or aoe spec. I know a surv spec.
3) I have just started back, so i know my gear is not that good. But is it that bad? ( except weapon im working on that... or is that my problem a crap weapon?)
4) Could it be that im just doing heroics and maybe some how getting rage starved?
5) Has something changed with aoe threat / single target that i didn't see in patch notes?

1 - I'm not 100% up to speed on the premire single target, 4.2 changed some things and Teng and Airwird are still chatting about it :-). As a stop-gap:

A) Single Target - Opening = HT -> Charge + SB -> SS > Dev > Dev > Rend. Then SS > Dev > Dev > other. Other = TC to keep rend up (ideally if it has less than 3 seconds left, but especially if your target has the bleed debuff, 6 seconds or less) Or CB or SW. If SnB procs, hit SS and start over. (Teng or Airowird may correct me here). You should be close to being able to spam heroic strike.

B) Mark Skull, Mark X -> AoE -> HL > Rend -> TC -> SW. When mob are active again, SB w/ inner rage macro'd and cleave spam. If you have Imp Rev, hit it when up for 2 targets.

2. Yes. You have blood craze. Blood craze is useless... yes, it's some fraction of your healing, but an irrelevent fraction. Put the 3 points in Deep Wounds, which is one of the best uses of talent points for threat a WarTank has. Also, I'd drop the 2 points in Imp Rev and put them in Incite to grab more crit Heroic Strikes.

3. Prismatic slots = 40 mastery, not hybrids (blacksmithing slots + ebonsteel beltbuckle). You have 2 60 stam gem, hybrid it with mastery/stam. You have yellow sockets with hybrids in them - these should be pure mastery.

4.2 with the change that agility no longer gives plate tanks dodge changed the balancing of dodge/parry for warriors. It's much closer now, only a few hundred apart. Your 1000 or so rating difference is now sub-optimal. askmrrobot.com is probably the best place to go to reforge.

This also means the leg enchants have changed to the stam/dodge enchants since the the stam/agi enchants now only give stam and a little crit.

4) Not really. You shouldn't be rage starved unless it's a predominately magic fight (looking at you Vortex Pinnicle)

5) Such as? That's really, really open ended. lol

Threat isn't burst anymore. You shouldn't expect to have godly threat in the first 10 seconds. Though you should be okay not long after that in most cases. If DPS go early, it will be rough. If they pop CDs too early without threat dumps, it will be rough. But if you hold to the priority (as opposed to a strict rotation), you should be fine...

Now just waiting for Teng to rip the rotations apart XD

Rystrave
07-18-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm sure Logan will be here shortly to steer you in the right direction, but I'll post my two cents until then :)

Your parry is considerably higher than your dodge. I've noticed a 2-3% difference is optimal. Replace those yellow gemmies with mastery/stam ones, and you'll be golden. There's a new leg enchant out there, too. With Dodge instead of Agility. Doit.

Solid stam gems are kind of looked down upon, especially since you can benefit more from having a mastery gem in there. Sure, you won't get your socket bonus, but you'll get mitigation bonuses.

Single rotation: SS > Dev > Dev > Other, like CB or Rev, or HS when rage allows. HS is a huge threat booster, especially with Vengeance up. I see you're only clicked into Incite once... take the two outta Cruelty and put them in there. I also suggest putting the three from Blood Fury into Deep Wounds.
Also, keep Rend up. Especially if you have Deep Wounds spec'd.

AoE: Rend > TC > Shockwave > Cleave. Throw up SB, a Demo Shout, and hit Inner Rage so you can span the hell outta cleave.

Rystrave
07-18-2011, 12:50 PM
lol I got busy at work and didn't get my reply posted when I wanted. Oh well, Logan FTW.

Tengenstein
07-18-2011, 04:44 PM
5) yes: we've all gotten access to better gear, this means you're DPS are pulling more numbers which means they're pulling more threat, and you as a tank are taking less damage. Less damage means less Rage, which means less heroic strikes, which means less threat, Less damage also means less vengeance, which means less threat.

I'm not sure you need to especially keep Rend up with Deep Wounds specs, the two don't really have much interplay, I assume Rystrave means if someone is providing the bleed debuff instead.

I'm gonna run some sims on the whole rend thing, I'm not too sure wether SnB cycling or maintaining rend has priority, i suspect that if you have a T12HC weapon and the bleed debuff or if vengeance is particualrily low. SnB cycling fall behind, but i want to check the numbers first.

bluecomp3
07-19-2011, 07:16 AM
OK ill go ahead and make the changes as soon as it comes back up again, and just an update i did some FL trash last night my threat was...GREAT so i hope this helped. Thanks for Helping me refresh on tanking again. =)

Giliandrix
07-19-2011, 08:50 AM
For raid progression boss pulls, your initial threat is very important. If DPS have to hold back, that's DPS lost on your part. People have talked about what moves you should use and when so I won't go into that, but something that has helped me out a lot is, Prepotting Golem Blood + Popping Recklessness right off the pull!

bluecomp3
07-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Ok well ive got fire lands rep and ect now and ive made the changes Seems in raids im doing great havnt tried a heroic >> will do so today! Thanks again =)

I took out IMP Rev and added incite again. Is that an ok spec? i kinda didnt like the fact rev is two targets with that, ive accidently broke cc b4. Thanks for your input. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/norgannon/Hitma/talent/primary