PDA

View Full Version : Tanking New to Tanking

xenodude
07-18-2011, 06:17 AM
Hey guys,

I'm new to tanking and i know that all of the information is somewhere in these forums, there are just so many posts... Anyway, i was wondering if i make a new toon, should i start tanking right away or should i go another route and if so which? start raising which profession(already have enchanting on another toon)?

thanks

Loganisis
07-18-2011, 08:15 AM
If you're interested in tanking, read my primer in my sig. It's desgined for Warrior Tanks, but a lot of the concepts are transferrable, outside of the rotation. Which I probably should update soon. As for when to start - no reason not to start now, just realize you'll need to add abilities into what you use as you gain them. For now however, you'll be gaining experience on managing threat, pull rate, positioning, etc.

Airowird
07-18-2011, 08:26 AM
I'ld advise to go tank through lower instances already, pick up dual spec for questing when you can. If you really wish to level fast, go DPS first till 40, then pick up tanking offspec and start learning. Once you hit Outland or Northrend, only do instances once or twice for the quests, but whenever you're bored or got spare time, try doing quests as tank, find yourself interesting situations and tank mobs to death!!
I'ld seriously advice against not trying out tanking pre-85. Not only is not everyone in a PuG friendly for new tanks, but it would be a shame if you find out tanking is not really your thing at 85.

For professions, if you're levelling I'ld suggest Mining + Blacksmithing or Jewelcrafting. The major reason being that mining allows you to level the other profession and still gives a useful tanking stat. Here are pro's & con's of BS vs JWC:
Blacksmithing:
+ Profession benefit with most options (any 2 gems of your choosing).
+ Can create your own gear (unless you're a Druid).
+ Craft cheap higher level items that you can mail to your enchanter and get enchants back for it on your tank.
- Lacks decent crafts at early levels, can't make money untill you hit high skill and have access to Chaos Orbs.
- The 'good' recipes can be expensive (they cost several bars per recipe).
Jewelcrafting:
+ Get 3 more Stamina than Blacksmithing.
+ Plenty of jewelry at lower level to use or disenchant.
+ Easy-ish money at higher level once you can cut some blue Cataclysm gems.
- Prospecting can be a pain, even with macros.
- Recipes require tokens from dailies, which means time investment.
- You can't get the full profession benefit untill your gear actually has enough sockets.

So they're about equal. If you are planning on rolling a Druid, I would suggest thinking of Skinning & Leatherworking as well. Skinning gives crit, which is useful for Bears (and you can still keep it if you decide to go DPS instead) and LW provides some nice rewards & gear as well.

xenodude
07-18-2011, 08:34 AM
thanks for the quick replies. im planning on rolling a Warrior. Gonna check out loganisis' guide right now.

Theotherone
07-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Really don't need dps spec to level with, I leveled pally and warrior as prot, what I lost in fast killing, I gained by being able to aggro the zone and live to tell about it.

Michultradk
07-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Really don't need dps spec to level with, I leveled pally and tank as prot, what I lost in fast killing, I gained by being able to aggro the zone and live to tell about it.

Agreed.

I would start tanking at level 15, as soon as you're able to que for dungeons, the way they have nerf'd everything it's really fairly simple to tank at the lower levels and it will gradually get more intense as you level but by then you'll have a good understanding of what's to be done.

Norsebaldur
07-18-2011, 10:39 AM
I've rafed with two friends and have tanked the crap out of warrior and Pali (gonna try bear this week if we have time before expiration) and vanilla instances are a joke. I had never end game tanked before and found it incredibly easy. With the instant q in df you never have to worry about a quest spec. Now that RAF goes to 80 I'm finding tanking to start being challenging and actually teaching me what to do instead of button mashing. Starting northrend tonight. Let you know how that goes. But I did take my Pali ret after hitting 60 in RAF and will tell you first hand vanilla DOES NOT teach you anything about tabking

Jericho
07-19-2011, 04:24 AM
Really don't need dps spec to level with, I leveled pally and warrior as prot, what I lost in fast killing, I gained by being able to aggro the zone and live to tell about it.'

When was this though? In Wrath it was actually better to level as Protection for both paladin and warrior. Most of what made this easier was the simple fact that both specs had fairly early access to some sort of reflective damage. Toss in the fact that old Consecration was actually useful not as it is now.

--

That being said, tank queues in instances are rather quick. The problem with leveling as a tank through instances from 1-60 is the simple fact that most leveling instances are basically a bum rush to the end of the instance. There are very very few instances that you should ever be in danger, even if you overpull a little. Most of the general tanking mechanics can be overlooked as dps can tank a mob here and there while you tank 6, 8 or 10. It will not be until you hit Outland until you even start to get the feel of actual tanking, and even then these instances have not been touched since the ability, scaling and other changes that Cataclysm brought forth so they are facerolls as well. Once you reach Northrend you will start to actually have to pay attention.

If you want to level as a tank, go for it, but do not expect to actually get much of a feeling of being or learning how to be a tank til 68+ when things actually stop being trivial.

--

Oh and what tank class did you want to be? You failed to mention. Most of us tend to assume warrior tank, but there are 4 different kinds after all.

xenodude
07-19-2011, 05:28 AM
'
Oh and what tank class did you want to be? You failed to mention. Most of us tend to assume warrior tank, but there are 4 different kinds after all.

I'm planning on rolling a warrior tank. It is said to be one of the most challenging. Right?

I appreciate all the advice. I do believe that tanking right from the start is the best way to go, since i have absolutely no idea what to do. :P I might as well start learning the skill rotation and effective use of skills right away.