PDA

View Full Version : Alysrazor

Lore
07-14-2011, 03:27 PM
1t7xzTtr1pk

What's up everyone and welcome back to the Firelands Raid Guide. My name is Lore, and I'll be showing you the normal difficulty version of the Alysrazor encounter. You'll need 2 tanks and 6 or 7 healers for this fight.

Shortly after pulling Alysrazor, she'll knock everyone back and start channeling a large AOE damage over time effect for 10 seconds. On the very first pull, Majordomo Staghelm will actually root your raid in the middle of the room before the knockback occurs, which makes healing everyone up kind of annoying. On subsequent pulls, however, your raid can group up in a corner, minimizing the knockback and allowing you to use raid cooldowns to help save some mana early on.

Phase 1 begins with Alys charging through the center of the room, dealing a massive amount of damage to anyone who doesn't get out of the way. Throw any extra damage you can at her while she's doing this - her hitbox is very large, so even melee DPS can hit her without having to worry about getting hit themselves. She'll also drop feathers on the ground -- these are very important.

Picking up feathers increases your run speed and also allows you to cast spells while moving. On top of that, if you pick up 3 feathers, you get shot into the air and gain the Wings of Flame buff, allowing you to fly around and DPS Alysrazor. This buff doesn't last very long -- only about 20 seconds. Fortunately, Alysrazor will be spawning rings of Blazing Power from time to time. Flying through one of these rings will refresh your Wings of Flame buff, give a stacking haste buff, and also restore some of your class's main resource - mana, energy, holy power, etc. There will also be some Incendiary Clouds, which should be avoided as they deal a large amount of damage. Any DPS you assign to air duty should pick up their 3 feathers immediately when phase 1 begins. Then it's just a matter of avoiding the clouds and going through the rings. Now, you can assign up to 6 DPS for air duty, but the damage your air team does is really just to speed up the fight. 2-3 is a good starting point, and once you've gotten a handle on the rest of phase 1, you can send more.

While all that is going on, there's a lot of important stuff happening on the ground. First up are the Blazing Talon Initiates. These are druids of the flame that will fly in from time to time and start casting two spells. Brushfire creates a patch of fire that slowly moves along the ground - it can't be interrupted, but it's easily avoidable, so just stay out of it. They'll also try to cast Fieroblast. Aside from just dealing a lot of damage to a random raid member, every time they successfully cast Fieroblast they'll get a stacking buff that increases their damage and casting speed by 10% per stack. It is very important that every single Fieroblast gets interrupted to keep things from spiraling out of control.

Fortunately, Initiates spawn in a set pattern every single time. We found them pretty easy to deal with by just splitting our ground DPS into two teams, one to handle initiates that spawn on the north side of the room, and one to handle the ones on the south side. Occasionally there will be a gap where your side doesn't have any Initiates active - this is a good time to run over and grab feathers. Everyone on the ground should aim to have at least one feather, preferably two, by the time phase 1 ends. Just make sure you don't pick up a 3rd one by accident and get shot into the air.

Of course, your tanks will be busy while this is going on also. Two Molten Eggs will be dropped in the center of the room that will eventually hatch into Voracious Hatchlings. Both tanks should be standing next to an egg before it hatches, as the Hatchling will imprint itself onto whoever is closest when that happens. The imprint not only causes them to only attack that target, but also increases their target's damage to the hatchling by 1000%. That's particularly helpful, considering they have a huge amount of health and the DPS is going to mostly be busy with the Blazing Talon Initiates. DPS can still help from time to time, but it's going to be primarily the tanks' responsibility to make sure the Hatchlings die in time for Phase 2.

Now, the hatchlings deal a decent amount of damage on their own, but when they're hungry, they can throw a tantrum, which makes them deal even more. Like any good mom, the tanks should feed them by moving them over to the Plump Lava Worms. They'll eat the worm, which not only satisfies their hunger, but the Lava Worms will be breathing fire around in a circle as long as they're alive, and being eaten stops that as well. So basically just make sure you're standing on top of the eggs when they hatch, feed the lava worms to the hatchlings, and also beat the crap out of them. You know what, you're a terrible parent.

After Alys has made three passes down the center of the room, phase 2 will start. She'll fly low to the ground and start flying in circles. Anyone on air duty should get to the ground quickly, as she'll remove your Wings of Flame buff after a few seconds and you don't want to take fall damage. Your only real goal during this phase is to not get hit by tornados. That can be more difficult than it sounds, but a simple way to avoid them is to just follow one, and when another one passes you, turn around and follow it. You end up just running in circles and aren't really ever in danger of being hit. Oh and don't bother trying to just hide in the center or at the edges of the room - her Blazing Winds will immediately kill you if you do.

This goes on for about 30 seconds before Alys gets tired and decides to take a short breather in the center of the room. This is the big DPS burn phase. In fact, hitting her with spells actually restores your mana, so everyone - even the healers - should be putting as much DPS into her as possible. The only exception is the two tanks - shortly into this phase, two Blazing Talon Clawshapers will appear and start channeling a spell called Ignition that restores Alys's Molten Power. Since she gets back up when she reaches 50 Molten Power, this is a bad thing, and they should be interrupted as much as possible. Since your DPS should be focusing on burning her, it makes the most sense to have the tanks focus on interrupting the two Clawshapers.

Once she reaches 50 Molten Power, she stands back up and will need to be tanked normally. DPS should still be burning her as much as possible, but this phase is primarily in the hands of the tanks and healers. She'll be doing an incredibly large amount of damage both to the tanks and to the raid, so put all that mana you just gained to good use. Rotating through raid cooldowns as well as tank cooldowns is very helpful as well.

Tanks, make sure to point her away from the raid, as she'll be spamming an ability called Blazing Claw that does a massive amount of physical damage to anyone in front of her. It also stacks up a debuff that increases your damage taken by 10% per stack, so you'll need to swap tanks at some point - around 6 or 7 stacks is ideal. Make sure to save your biggest cooldowns for this phase - you'll be taking a lot of damage.

At this point, the fight simply repeats itself starting back at phase 1. The only difference is that, instead of flying through the middle of the room at the start of the phase, she simply drops a bunch of feathers where she was standing and flies up into the air immediately. DPS on air duty should grab those immediately, and everyone else should just head back to their phase 1 assignments. Rinse and repeat until Alys dies. If you like, I've attached raw footage of our kill so you can see the fight in its entirety. Otherwise, good luck, and have fun!

Lore
07-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting this one up! Had some internet difficulties. FYI - Internets don't like it when they get struck by lightning :(

Jwoo160
07-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the video! One question my guild is a 10m guild and we are having alot of trouble getting the hatchlings down in time for P2 we are even using thorns with thorns glyph on cd. As far as dps assignments we have a ranged and melee on each side our first priority is the initiates and then the hatching however were just not getting enough dps on the bird for some reason on all other fights most of our dps is pushing 20-25k. Would it be possible for our one melee/interupter to solo the initiate in time for the next one to spawn and have our ranged dps on the hatchling full time?

Garbid
07-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Yes that is possible. 1 Melee can take down the initiates by them selfs, BUT unless he's a shaman he might not get every pyroblast. But if your raiders can avoid all other extra dmg such as brushfire and worms aoe, it should be easily healable, as first phase is really easy on healers, just tank healing. If your only problem after that is Hatchlings, and not tank deaths, you might wanna encourage your tanks to wear some expertise/hit trinkets as that boosts tank dps the most, and it's them doing 60-70k dps on the hatchlings. With good healers and communication, you can let tank drops to 50% fast when they get the bleed debuff so healers don't have to worry about that at the same time a hatchling does tantrum. Might sound risky but is a lot less riskier then having bleed + tanrum at the same time, cause thats like having a tank with only half a healthpool.
When we did it, we had a mage on 1 side along with a ret pally. The ret took out the initiate, interrupted first pyro, called out to the mage for the second, interrupted the third himself and the initiate was dead before the fourth.

Karoht
07-15-2011, 02:25 AM
The imprint not only causes them to only attack that target, but also increases their target's damage to the hatchling by 1000%.This also includes any damage caused by things such as Druid Thorns, Paladin's Ret Aura, and Warrior's Retaliation. For example Thorns normally ticks for 2K per hit, on this fight it ticks for about 20K. Just a quick tip to help make DPS a bit more relaxed on those mobs, meaning you can focus a bit more on properly kiting the birds.

Hnetto
07-15-2011, 05:05 AM
If your tanks are having DPS problems to down the hatchling i suggest getting a 1h weapon with Landslide. It increased my DPS alot and most of the time i down my hatchling long before the other tank, usually mine dies when the other is around 15-20%.

I would recomend putting a few DPS on the adds on 10 man also.

doom1992
07-15-2011, 06:39 AM
Wow, looks like a hard fight. I don't think my guild is going to get that down for a while lol. As a tank myself, I know numerous ways to increase tank dps. If they are a paladin or warrior tank, get them to make 2 armour sets which they can switch between in the fight. One of these armour sets should be the normal tank armour set, the other should be with dps 1h, dps shield and dps ranged or relic. That I know of, there is only 1 melee dps shield at appropriate level atm. This is the previous arena season's epic pvp shield. It has crit on. Also, if a tank is doing low damage, on other fights they are probably doing low threat too, so they should make a bit more an effort to cap hit rating and expertise. Also, I play a warrior so I am unsure what utilities other classes have, but if you are a warrior, it is a requirement in this fight more than anyother (although this should be the case all the time), Vigilance MUST be on the other tank. This stacks vengeance quicker. Also, you could use shield block and recklessness at the same time, change into battle stance, and start doing a dps prot rotation (basically, devastate, heroic strike, rend, collossus smash, shield slam ect.) I am unsure about a paladin's wings but if possible it can be used to increase dps? Another option is to take tank classes who's threat is majoritally caused by damage, such as a blood death knight. This will also really help for the ground tanking phase since she hits hard.

reasonyousmile
07-15-2011, 09:55 AM
More tips for warrior tanks:
- 24 is the expertise cap for these mobs (lvl 87); going beyond that is a waste
- It's not an awful idea to macro Inner Rage into Heroic Strike here
- Keep that Rend ticking with BnT, it's very GCD-efficient damage here
- Ask for Thorns (it's affected by the 1000% multiplier)

snifit
07-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Our group put our first attempts at this encounter in 10-man last night. We've got the mechanics down, but it seems we're on track for it to be a very long fight; at our current rate, we're going to need four burn phases to finish off Alysrazor (which comes out to about 20 minutes). Lore's group drops Alysrazor shortly after the second burn phase, and from checking online logs most fights are lasting in the 700-800 second range, which is just a little bit longer than Lore's group.

Are other groups sending two DPS into the air to focus on Alysrazor? We're only sending one into the air, because we're just barely getting our hatchlings down in time for the fire vortex. I suppose we'll just need our tanks to focus on upping their damage for this fight so that we can get that second DPS into the air. That should bring our fight length down to three burn phases.

reasonyousmile
07-15-2011, 12:05 PM
The tanks are responsible for the majority of the damage done to the hatchlings; having several DPS on them full-time comes out to a FRACTION of what's necessary to get them down.

That said, as a tank even in heroic-mode gear I can attest to the fact that it can be hard to do all that damage in time for the tornado phase. Lesser-geared tanks may well have trouble with this fight without some serious tweaking. If you DO assign DPS to the adds, make sure you're maximizing their effect on the tanks' damage, and not on their own. A few things DPS could do QUICKLY without dedicating too much of their time to help tanks:

- Tricks of the Trade - 6s of 15% extra damage, potentially every 30s
- Physical Vulnerability Debuff (i.e. Brittle Bones, Savage Combat) - 1min of 4% extra damage
- Sunders & Faerie Fire if not a Warrior tank

Tanks could stand to use Golemblood Potions on one set of birds, and then some other damage cooldown on another set. While I haven't done any of that personally, it's something I've considered to be able to climb higher on the WOL rankings ;)

EDITS:
- Additionally, do get a Landslide enchanted weapon, as another posted specified
- If subbing out with DPS gear, concentrate on Expertise & Hit, making sure that you stay at or under the cap for a ***lvl 87 mob*** (use your Character Sheet as a basic guide to know when you stop adding more); stat priorities are pretty much Expertise -> Hit -> AP -> Crit

GW2375
07-17-2011, 04:24 PM
My guild has not yet gotten to Alys - I wanted to find out recommendations for the DPS to chase after Alys. I have seen both melee and ranged arguments for it - looked like in this vid it was melee. Since this is just for added damage, is it better for melee to be up and ranged to be down burning on the adds?

Karoht
07-18-2011, 02:18 AM
Wanna see crazy damage on them baby birds?
Get a Warrior Tank and a Paladin and a Druid.
Druid casts Thorns on Warrior Tank.
Paladin picks Ret aura.
Warrior uses Retaliation.
Every time the baby bird says 'peck' the warrior peck replies with OWNED!
Thorns was doing 20K a hit, Ret aura was something like 30K, and Retaliation... I don't even want to think about that one.

Hinkakan
07-18-2011, 04:27 AM
So far, my guild has used 1 dps in the air, 4 dps on ground.

So far, we've had a rogue in the air, but we are thinking of putting a firemage up instead, since from what we've heard they can do a LOT of damage up there.

We are just managing to kill the hatchlings before vortex. We have two dps on each side of the area, primarily handling the initiats, and dpsing the hatchlings when their initiates are dead. With the help of the dps every now and then, we manage to kill the hatchlings.

We are killing it after the 3rd burn phase atm. But I believe we will have to redo the tactic a bit for heroic. Perhaps with the firemage on top, to get more dps on boss

Minisharkx
07-18-2011, 05:19 AM
The tanks in my guild(10m) were having a bit of trouble killing the hatchlings. We would get to tornado phase and one would have 3m hp and the around 1m. We found a sound strategy was to have them equip dps trinkets (License to Slay, Heart of Rage) and killing the hatchlings became a nonissue. Granted it results in less mitigation for your tanks (I had both reforged to mastery but the other tank had mastery/haste reforges for his offspec) but it helped us get a kill with little dps help since they were busy with initiates.

Zxian
07-19-2011, 02:52 PM
One of the advantages to having melee in the air is that ranged can deal with the Initiates while on the move and avoiding Brushfire much more easily than melee can. Fire mages would also do well with the Blaze of Glory buff, but you likely want them on the ground helping out with Initiates and hatchlings if need be.

Ganet
07-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Today we were doing Alysrazor on 10 man normal and on the 3rd cycle we got her below 25% and she stayed on the ground, has blizz changed the fight or was it just a bug?

Reiseki
07-26-2011, 02:25 AM
Greeting's TankSpot creator's/reader's, i come to you in need of helpe.
My guild has managed to clear all but Alysrazor before going for Staghelm and Ragnaros (10 man raiding), and as 1 of the tank's for that fight i would like to know if anyone here know if this fight is harder for a DK tank than for other tanking classes.
I can manage fine on all the other boss encounter's whit out felling like a wet paper bag, but the small hatcling's just REALY make a number on me just outright killing me or making it near imposible for the healer's to keep up on me even tho the other tank (a warrior) aparently is having no issues at all, so if anyone got any tip's i would realy be gratefull.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostwhisper/Ayaney/advanced (armory page if anyone want's to point out anything =P)

Ghladum
07-26-2011, 03:36 AM
Reiseki - are you properly removing the Tantrum buff from the chickens when they get upset by feeding them a worm? You either need to use a cooldown to survive while that buff is up or you'll be a huge pain to keep up. Also, I've caught my other tank crossing pretty close into my "half" of the room and stealing one of my worms before, leaving me with no way to remove a tantrum a couple of times. Try to communicate about how to take care of that. Also, your healers need to be able to identify a tank with the debuff, let him come down to 50% HP and then heal them back up quickly. (All of which is included in Lore's explanation, but these are the two things that can impact chicken tanks most directly. Well, now that I think about it, you're not getting melted by the worm fire spray, are you?)

Reiseki
07-26-2011, 03:51 AM
Yes im trying to position myselfe close to a worm but out of the fire spray range so i can quickly go to it when the chicken goes in to a tantrum, sometimes i actualy survive this but more and more on last night's raid i found myselfe dead almost the second the tantrum started or just as the bird was in range for the worm, i try to manage to use either a dodge trinket or Icebound Fortitude when tantrum is up and my Magick shell if the bird has tantrum and the closest worm's spray is gona hit me while i move to it.
and the issue of other tank stealing the worm is a non issue, we got the room split in 2 half's so 2 worms in each ''half'' and all that is good, my problem is just that i keep geting hammered by flaming chicken of doom =P

Bladesong
07-29-2011, 01:32 PM
My ten man group found that the single most important part of the fight is making sure that no Fieroblasts go off (as noted in the guide). Once we managed that we further reduced raid damage by tanking both birds in the center of the room on the shaman totems, moving out only to feed a hatchling or avoid Alysrazor coming through the center. This allowed for:
1) Better AoE healing
2) Only the tanks got hit with bleed/debuff the hatchlings put out
3) Tanks are always close to all the worms, so there is less movement and more time for dps

After you've run the fight a few times, you can sort of predict when a Tantrum is due and preemptively move to a worm. This lets you choose a worm that isn't breathing fire towards you and gives you time to dodge Brushfires. We found that waiting for a Tantrum meant not only taking the tantrum damage, but often involved a panicked run to the nearest worm and eating a lot of fire and the possibility of turning your back on the hatchling. On occasion this left us with a (near-dead) hatchling having a tantrum with no worm, but it was much easier to survive this with a cooldown than the above panic scenario.

smep
08-01-2011, 06:40 AM
@Ganet, that is right. At that point, it's just a matter of burning the boss and tank swapping when stacks drop off.

Pacans
08-03-2011, 05:21 AM
Will this debuff increase damage for DK army or only direct hits from DK and pets don't get bonuses?

Quinafoi
08-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Only the person with the imprint buff gets the benefit. Pets aren't imprinted so no they do not benefit.

Shambells
08-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Greetings. On our attempts in 10 man last week we had major issues killing the hatchlings in time. The one on my side (solo hance + dk tank and heals) died JUST before the tornadoes spawned. On the other side (ret + hunter + rogue + war tank with thorns from his two healers) the hatchling is at like 20% when tornadoes spawn. I dont know what else to do as RL. The only thing left is to pull our fire Mage down from his superman thing. All dps is at least 20k. Both tanks are neck and neck at 80k. The war tank is getting roflstomped by his chicken, necessitating the two healers for the spikes. I have no other consistent raiders, but I don't think it's a personnel issue. Suggestions?

Narina
08-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Shambells,

Thorns, Ret Aura, Retaliation (war move) work insanely well. If you still need tanks to do more dps make sure they hit cap/exp for a level 87 mob. We spend about 2 hours perfecting HOW to kill them in time ourselves the other night, a little reforging (or possibly switching in a few dps pieces - not sure exactly what they did) and they were pulling over 100k during p1 and adds dropped in time. Healers didn't mind healing them with the few changes. Make sure the tanks switch back afterwards though - we ran into that problem lol

Nimuryl
08-05-2011, 12:29 PM
We wiped something like 50 times on normal mode (blah) before coming up with this, which worked nicely:

Left side:
Prot Warrior
Holy Paladin
BM Hunter
Rogue

Right Side:
Prot Warrior
Resto Shaman
Destro Lock
Feral Cat (me)

Air:
Boomkin
Shadow Priest

We were not having major problems previously downing the big adds, mostly because warrior tanks do insane damage here. We were previously 3-healing with one flyer, but having problems getting enough damage on Alysrazor (we had one attempt at 13 minutes, where she was still at over 30%). The add on the right side seems to "bug" more often and sometimes double up on the Firoblasts, even when interrupted, so we put the more durable melee on that side (feral). Each melee interrupted their add on the first and 3rd casts, and we had enough dps on them that often there was no 3rd cast. I don't know how random the targeting is on the Firoblast, but frequently the 2nd one would target me (much more than 1/10), so I'd pool combo points, Barkskin, and Ferocious Bite (glyphed) for some health back. There were lulls every 3(?) casters where I could jump on the spiders and throw some dots. Feral Charge's CD is *perfectly* timed to reaching every single caster.

I believe we had Alysrazor down to about 47% after the first ground phase, and killed her shortly after the 2nd. Now that our mage is back, this will be even faster.

If you can 2-heal this, do it. There's really not a lot of raid damage going out provided things die in a timely manner.

Karoht
08-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Also, I discovered the other day that I can use Tranquility while running on the tornadoes phase. My goodness does that ever help increase survivability. Every druid should be hitting tranq on that phase if possible, priests need to do the same with Divine Hymm. Heck that phase is a fantastic time to use Hymm of Hope even.

Motark
08-09-2011, 12:38 AM
If you have 2 feathers stay near the center for the tornados. When they spawn try to run behind one inner tornado. You are a bit slower than the tornado. Thats ok. If you do it well you do not need to change your path.
-> save without getting hit by any tornado.

This way you can save your tranq or hymn for 50+ energy where she is going to rape pretty hard. (esp. on heroic with 2 healer)

Deiyanarra
08-09-2011, 04:30 PM
is there a vid for Alys Heroic? i can't seem to find it.

mathijs0334@hotmail.com
08-30-2011, 03:40 AM
do you also use pitbull for the boss frames?? was wondering because i use my focus for the boss because i cant find the boss frames

Shambells
09-02-2011, 03:30 PM
So a couple of things we've learned. Any shaman can solo interrupt a caster on that side on ten man. Just make sure and interrupt the cast late so it doesn't try to double cast it. I've done this as both enhancement where I just solo'ed my add and in one memorable night as resto with a lock to dps the add down while simultaneously healing my tank. That sucked but it's doable in a pinch (how dare my raid healers have real lives?!). The big plus of this it allows you to send up two flyers, which REALLY shortens and simplifies the fight. Also, to update on our earlier problems getting the adds down, we haven't had any problems killing the birdies since calling put to your flyers when the last add spawns to come down and add their redonkulos dps to the hatchlings. This also prevents them from tunneling and staying up too long, which had been a problem. Alys seems to think that more than 0 yards off the ground constitutes still flying and frowns heavily on that, so make sure you come down early. The last tip I have to offer is that when Alys flies through the center of the room she apparently makes no distinctions about cleaving you 100 yards off the ground. Pretty funny to see a dead gnome rain followed by a chorus of WTF on vent though. Seriously, stay out of the center, even if you are flying.

Loganisis
09-03-2011, 02:25 PM
A few things I've seen:

A) Tranq during tornadoes - this is bad. People shouldn't be taking damage. I almost always tank this fight, I have zero feathers, and outside of the tornadoes first spawn, I never take any damage. Now, this isn't supposed to mean I'm awesome - what it means is your people shouldn't be taking damage. There are 2 great ways to avoid damage:

A1) Mouse turning
A2) Get 2 feathers and chase a tornado around the inner most circle. With 2 feathers you will run as fast.
A3) 2nd and third torandos, chase one until one passes you the other direction, then switch over and chase that one. You can do this with zero feathers (It's what I do)

Instead of using tranq for tornadoes, I'd suggest you focus more on avoiding the tornados. Outside of a little damage at the beginning, the goal should be no damage taken.

B) Warriors - Recklessness is awesomesauce. Retaliation is very nice. Sunder x3 -> imprintend -> Recklessness/SB->SS ->SnB fishing until Reck falls off. Focusing on DPS rotation rather than TPS (no CB is about it) will be good. I'm running about 5 expertise and <3% hit. There's a few good threads here already on how to WarTank down the hatchlings.

Rogues tricking the tank is win. As in things like Fairy Fire on non-war-tanked hatclings, etc. Just make sure you have all the good debuffs for maximium damage taken (bleed increase on the hatclings and keep rend up for warriors for example).

Fetzie
09-05-2011, 03:44 AM
Tranquility, Divine Guardian, Aura Mastery etc should be saved for when Alysrazor has >90 energy when she is charging up. Makes sure the damage reductions are up for the knockback.

Shambells
09-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Things I saw that make this fight lol. The caster adds will rarely cast the spell now, only once with good dps. The damage lowering means most guilds should be able to two heal this now. This means 4 dps in the air and she won't get off the ground. Happy face smashing. Obviously normal 10 man mode, btw.

Theotherone
09-21-2011, 12:46 PM
And, best of all you can be really stupid with tornados and worms still up and not die, as I found out last night.