PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Ok, my pally tank and I'm kind of confused on stats.



draq2009
07-10-2011, 06:24 PM
This is my new main:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/greymane/Draxuxus/simple

My question and issue is as follows: Mastery is our go-to stat for survival in the current raiding environment. My ingame character stats panel shows 12% dodge 13% parry and 61% block CHANCE, but my mastery says I have a 55% chance to block melee attacks. I'm confused because when i switch from my survival gear set(12/13/61) to my 5man threat set(11/13/49) my block chance never changes. Also, has anyone noticed if using holy shield your block chance nor mastery increases on the stat panel?


I hope this isn't confusing but if so ask any questions and I will clear them up. Any suggestions will greatly be appriciated. Ty kindly

Volitaire
07-10-2011, 07:59 PM
No, holy shield doesn't cause any changes to any stats that are viewable that I could see.

draq2009
07-10-2011, 08:41 PM
TY for the insight, I was begining to get worried, but with the mastery % of block you gain and the Block chance displayed, which one are we paying attention to? b/c my block chance says 60% but under the tooltip says 30% and it never increases, Im just confused as hell lol.


oh and BTW what is this purposed unbuffed block cap. i've searched EJ / Maintankadin and haven't found anything solid?

Tengenstein
07-10-2011, 10:27 PM
I think you're confusing your chance to block, with the size of your blocks. Paladins get 5% chance to block, baseline, no mater how much mastery you have you aslong as you're holding a shield you have 5% chance to block againsyt an enmey of the same level. any Mastery you have increases chances of you Bocking, mousing over your mastery will tell you how much extra Block chance you are getting from Mastery rounded down to the nearest percent. Your total Block chance (fropm Baseline+mastery) is displayed in the defence section of you character sheet, mousing over it will tell you the size your blocks are. The size of your Block basline is 30%, this is increased by Holyshield or by the eternal set of meta gems. When you activate Holy shield the size of your Block goes from 30% to 50%, the character sheet will reflect this (and any other changes to Block size) on the mouseover of you Block chance on the character sheet.

the Block cap varies dependant upon alot of things. If you imagine that each time your attacked the game randomely decides the outcome based on a table of probabilites ( the combat table): you can either be Missed, Dodge, Parry, Block, be hit, or be Critted by the attack. you're chance to be critted is removed thanks to the talent Sanctuary (it pushes it off the table). If you increase the your chances to dodge block parry or miss t you decrease your chances og being hit (1% higher chance or dodgeing decreases your chance to be hit by 1%) so if you increase your dodge block, parry and miss chance to a combined 100% you've reduced your chance to be hit to 0%, thus giving the term unhittable, since no attacks made against you can be hits; only Dodges blocks, parries or misses.

npw this gets a little complicated since you're avoidance values are given as if your being attacked by a same level mob. Raid bosses (skull level) are treated as being 3 levels higher than you this means that they have. Same level mobs have a 5% chance to miss, and a 5% chance to crit. for every level a mob has over you they increase their chance to crit by 0.2%, like wise they also decrease their chance to miss by 0.2%, as well as their chance to be dodged by 0.2%, and there chance to be parriedy 0.2%. The crit is a non issues since Sanctuary decrease ther crit chance by 6%. however the supresion of the other 4 stats is; dodge, block, parry, and miss chance are all decreased by 0.6% each (3*0.2), so to be unhittable against raid bosses you need to increase you cumulative dodge. block, parry, miss, by 2.4% (0.6*4) form 100% to 102.4%.

Your Block cap is 102.4% - (miss chance+parry chance+dodge chance). you're chance to be missed can be assumed to be 5%, you're other values should be take from your character sheet.

Theotherone
07-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Isn't unhittable a bit of a misnomer since block only mitigates a portion of the damage - your still "hit" but the damage is reduced.

Fetzie
07-11-2011, 07:53 AM
I think Full Combat Table Coverage is the term used nowadays

Theotherone
07-11-2011, 08:13 AM
I like that - FCTC.

Unhittable was getting to be like Def Capped in usage.

draq2009
07-11-2011, 08:29 AM
so do i need to remove Block from my equation to hit that 100 to 102.4% unhittable? Im still confused a little: is it the chance to block or the mastery block I should look at? I'm sorry if i'm making this difficult, but I'm trying to become better at this. also is there any addons i could use to log and track combat stats(parrys, dodges and blocks i have done and damage i have taken)

leethaxor
07-11-2011, 11:52 AM
so do i need to remove Block from my equation to hit that 100 to 102.4% unhittable?
No. It works off of a single roll combat table.
EX.:
Lets say you have 10% dodge, 10% parry, 60% block, 5% chance to be not hit.
The boss then /rolls 1024.
If the roll is less then 50 (5.0) he will miss you.
If the roll is between 50 and 150 you will dodge
If the roll is between 150 and 250 you will parry
If the roll is between 250 and 750 you will block
If its above 750 he will hit you.

Thats basically how avoidance works in a nutshell. So you have a combat table. As you increase your avoidance stats (chance to dodged, parried, or block) you decrease your chance to be hit by a full on attack.


Im still confused a little: is it the chance to block or the mastery block I should look at?
Your character sheet. Your mastery gives you a passive 30% [citation needed], and you get 5% [citation needed] for just holding a shield as a prot pally naked. The 5% isn't deplayed on your mastery tooltips.


Also is there any addons i could use to log and track combat stats(parrys, dodges and blocks i have done and damage i have taken)
I believe this macro MIGHT work, or help.



/run a = GetDodgeChance() + GetParryChance() + GetBlockChance() + 5
/run print("Your current avoidance is ", a, "%."))
/run print("You need ", 102.4 - a, "% more avoidance to be capped.")


Print out example.
Your current avoidance is 85%
You need 17.4% more avoidance to be capped.

Tengenstein
07-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Your character sheet. Your mastery gives you a passive 30% [citation needed], and you get 5% [citation needed] for just holding a shield as a prot pally naked. The 5% isn't deplayed on your mastery tooltips.

the amount Mastery gives is based on how much mastery you have. A level 85 paladin naked has 8 mastery skill, which at 2.25% block per point translates in 18% block chance from mastery and 5% for being a pallied for a total of 23% block chance.