PDA

View Full Version : DPS Fire mage, ready to raid?

Arvin
07-10-2011, 12:43 PM
I know i've just posted about my 2 tank characters, but I've had a little suprise, I've got the chance to take along my fire mage to a raid, for a rare chance (for me) to DPS.

Here's the mage in question. http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/aerie-peak/Braz/simple

I've recently reforged most of his gear to get to the hit cap, other then that I've aimed for crit.
I know my wrists and 1 of my trinkets let me down, but I've been trying to resolve that with not much luck, i'm farming for the TB trinket at the moment.

I'm greatful for any advice, up until today I've just been farming heroics and not paying much attention to my gear :eek:

leethaxor
07-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Slot

Enchant

Gems

Reforging

Comments

Head

Good

Good

Good

Neck

N/A

N/A

Good

Shoulder

Ok

Good

Good

Get exalted with Therazine

Chest

Good

Good
Haste -> Hit
Note 1

Wrist

50 int

N/A

Good

Put some 50 int on this.

Staff

Power Torrent

N/A

Good

You put 20 int your chest, but not power torrent on your weapon?

Ranged

N/A

N/A

Haste -> Crit

Note 1

Glove

Good

40 int

Good

Belt

Good

40 int

Good

Use 40 int for your 20 int / 20 hit gem

Legs

Good

Good

Good

Boot

35 Master + Run

40 int

Good

Run speed is better then any stat for less down time.

Ring 1

40 int

N/A

Good

Note 2

Ring 2

40 int

N/A

Good

Note 2

Trinket 1

N/A

N/A

Good

Trinket 2

N/A

N/A

Good

Note 1: I'm assuming Crit > Haste for your ilvl of gear. I'm not 100% on this but I believe this is what it is.
Note 2: Your an enchanter, enchant your rings.

Keep doing dailies for your TB trinket it will be a good upgrade. I would say your more then raid ready for t11 post nerf, even pre-nerf. Firelands maybe, I would rather bring an arcane mage but, I know fire is still needed for add management on 2 fights there.

enloren
07-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Just found a page which lists all the DPS Fire Mage items that you should be looking at:

http://www.maxdps.com/mage/fire.php

Happy browsing!

leethaxor
07-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Rawr does the same thing, but better.

sacredgoat
07-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Sorry for being off topic but ...
How reliable is Maxdps? I've tried Rawr, Maxdps and Mr. Robot and all 3 say different things?!?

leethaxor
07-11-2011, 01:13 PM
I've honestly never played around maxdps, or Mr. Robot

After playing around with them breifly here is my experience:

Mr. Robot is tell me to redo my reforging and enchants so that I can bring my hit rating down from 17.09% to 17.04%, which I'll try out. But it means losing haste and mastery as an arcane mage :X

Personally, I have never found maxdps to be trust worthy. It calculates your dps as
Spell 1 will do x dps, spell 2 will do y dps, spell 3 will do z dps
your dps is x + y + z
And dps is far more complex then that.

Ion
07-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Sorry for being off topic but ...
How reliable is Maxdps? I've tried Rawr, Maxdps and Mr. Robot and all 3 say different things?!?

If the module for your class/spec is marked as "Fully" or, probably, even "Mostly" supported Rawr is probably the most accurate of the 3 (assuming your version of Rawr is up to date). I am exceptionally dubious that Maxdps is even close to right and I've always been dubious of Mr Robot too.

Mage is marked as "Fully" supported, so I'd assume it's in a pretty good state.

leethaxor
07-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Mage mod of rawr is pretty spot on. Its only glarring issue is it doesn't actively count ignite munching so it just subtracts a percentage of ignite damage as 'munched' which it slightly overvalues, this leads to slightly wrong stat weights.

Ishamaelazure
07-17-2011, 08:17 AM
mr robot bad? i use it dont seem to be having any probs as arcane never tried rawr tbh worth a go?

leethaxor
07-17-2011, 01:58 PM
I started using Mr. Robot myself more recently it's reforging tool is pretty efficient and quick. I don't use it to make large decisions just to check my reforging primarily.

novel_player
07-18-2011, 02:07 AM
crit rating for fire mages is of utmost importance not only should you aim for a crit of 30%+ (might be overkill to go any higher) but a fire mages critical hits refund mana and trigger free casts. your hit rating is through the roof (I believe the hit cap is 8% now... I might be wrong about that one) i suggest reforging any items that are not (Crit & Mastery) into one of the 2 stats preferably Crit > Mastery for example your belt, instead of reforging mastery into crit, reforge hit into crit.
yes you should try to get 40+ intellect gems but not if its going to deprive you of a free gem bonus (i don't see why some people completely ignore the socket bonuses when they could satisfy the the requirement with a hybrid gem.
in the end anyone who tells you to stack 40+ intell gems should go kick themselves
crit & intell > mastery > haste > hit
(for this specific situation)
the same also goes for any enchants, try to get crit if possible, haste rating shouldn't be a problem if your crit is high enough it will trigger instant casts... (i hate waiting for pyroblast cast times when instead it could be instant)

I like to see big numbers lighting up my screen!

Tschus
07-18-2011, 03:38 AM
crit rating for fire mages is of utmost importance not only should you aim for a crit of 30%+ (might be overkill to go any higher) but a fire mages critical hits refund mana and trigger free casts. your hit rating is through the roof (I believe the hit cap is 8% now... I might be wrong about that one) i suggest reforging any items that are not (Crit & Mastery) into one of the 2 stats preferably Crit > Mastery for example your belt, instead of reforging mastery into crit, reforge hit into crit.
yes you should try to get 40+ intellect gems but not if its going to deprive you of a free gem bonus (i don't see why some people completely ignore the socket bonuses when they could satisfy the the requirement with a hybrid gem.
in the end anyone who tells you to stack 40+ intell gems should go kick themselves
crit & intell > mastery > haste > hit
(for this specific situation)
the same also goes for any enchants, try to get crit if possible, haste rating shouldn't be a problem if your crit is high enough it will trigger instant casts... (i hate waiting for pyroblast cast times when instead it could be instant)

I like to see big numbers lighting up my screen!

Hit cap for 5man heroic bosses is 6% and for raid bosses is 17%. If you're under hit cap then hit should be the top priority.
And afaik mastery is no better than haste and crit for fire mages