PDA

View Full Version : Majordomo Staghelm

Aliena
06-30-2011, 03:02 AM
rz0HCMPm2FI

Hello and welcome to the Firelands Raid Guide! My name is Aliena, and in this guide I'll show you all you have to know about Majordomo Staghelm, the second to last boss in this new raid instance. We defeated this fight with 1 tank, 6 healers and 18 DPS, but similar raid configurations may work just as well.

On 25-man difficulty, Staghelm has 180 million health and 57 million in his 10-man version. Staghelm is a druid and will switch between several different Forms depending on your raid's positioning.

When 18 or more players are stacked up together, Staghelm will shift into a Scorpion Form. When your raid is spread out, Staghelm will assume a Cat Form. On every third shift, Staghelm will briefly shift into human form and then adapt to your raid's positioning afterwards with either Scorpion or Cat.

The longer Staghelm remains in a form, the faster his energy bar will regen due to a stacking buff called Adrenaline. Whenever his energy bar is full, he'll use a devastating ability depending on the form he's in. Eventually, he'll use them so fast in succession that you'll be forced to adjust your positioning and make him switch forms. However, every time Staghelm switches forms, he also gains a stacking buff that makes him deal 8% more damage on those devastating abilities.

This acts as a soft enrage timer and means you're basically forced to keep him in one stance for as long as possible without endangering your raid's survival. We've found 6-7 applications of Adrenaline to be manageable, but depending on your gear level you might want to try using 5, or even more than 7.

You should start out the fight with the whole raid stacked together including the tank, with Staghelm facing everyone. This will trigger his Scorpion Form, and whenever his energy bar fills up, he'll use an ability called Flame Scythe, which will inflict about 2.3million fire damage split among all raid members in front of him. The damage on this is affected by Fury, so it will go up as the fight progresses.

Your healers will likely get behind as Flame Scythe happens faster, so you should aim to Aura Mastery or otherwise cooldown the last few each Scorpion phase. When you absolutely can't take another hit of Flame Scythe, your raid members immediately need to spread out across the room and trigger Staghelm's Cat Form. Your tank should then drag him to the middle of the room so you have plenty of space in this phase.

In cat form, he'll use an ability called Leaping Flames when his energy bar fills up. He'll pick a random ranged raid member, jump on him and leave a huge circle of fire on the ground. These fire puddles don't vanish while he's in cat form and you'll need ample space in the middle, so make sure that all your ranged raid members are at least 20 yards away from Staghelm during this phase.

Every time he leaps, he'll also summon an add called Spirit of the Flame. These need to be killed as they come out, so make sure to assign some DPS to them.

After about 6 stacks of Adrenaline, your entire raid should collapse on your tank in the middle, and Staghelm will shift into human form, briefly stun your raid, cast Searing Seeds on everyone but the tank, and then shift into Scorpion Form. The Searing Seeds debuff will have a different duration on every raid member, from roughly 10 seconds to roughly a minute.

When Searing Seeds expires, the raid member will explode everyone else within 12 yards of him for more than 60000 damage, so Whenever someone's debuff is about to tick off, they need to run out of the raid and away from other people. No one can tell you when to do this, you have to keep an eye on your own debuff timer. Failing to leave the raid in time will almost certainly result in a wipe.

On the other hand, panicking and leaving the raid too early might result in too many people being out of the stack and Staghelm switching forms prematurely. To avoid this, you should run out when your debuff has about 5 seconds left, give or take a few. That should be plenty of time to get 12 yards away from everyone else. As soon as your debuff explodes, re-join your raid members.

This is the part of the fight that will likely give you the most trouble, as raid damage on Flame Scythe will be increased with people temporarily out of the raid. Raid cooldowns should be reserved for most of the Scythes. If at all possible, try to stack Adrenaline to at least 5. When you cannot handle the damage anymore, initiate Cat Form and handle it the same way you did the last cat form.

Afterwards, collapse on the tank in the middle once more and go through another phase of Scorpion Form. Since you have four stacks of Fury at this point, your raid leader needs to judge how many stacks of Adrenaline you can handle and call for raid cooldowns. We did 6, but 5 might be safer.

The next time Staghelm changes Forms, he'll briefly switch into Human form again. This time, since you're transitioning into Cat Form, he won't cast Searing Seeds but instead use an ability called Burning Orbs. This will spawn 5 big flaming mushroom-looking orbs around the room that will each attack the nearest player every 2 seconds with stacking damage.

To deal with this, you should have two ranged players near each orb that switch off on taking the damage. Make sure that they get healed and that they switch off when they start taking too much damage (which should be around 5 stacks). The orbs last a minute, so they'll basically span your whole Cat Phase.

At this point, you've seen all possible stances and abilities that Staghelm can possibly use throughout the encounter and he should be close to death. You should aim to defeat him before his next human phase, as another Searing Seeds would likely prove to be deadly. We defeated him when he had 6 stacks of Fury, during a Scorpion phase, and used a raid cooldown for almost every Flame Scythe that phase.

It's incredibly important that your raid communicates smooth transitions - when a transition is called on ventrilo, everyone needs to move out of or collapse into the raid as soon as possible, else you chance delaying the transition and ending up with a wipe. This is especially important when transitioning from cat into scorpion, as you don't want Staghelm to reach full energy right before triggering his phase change and ending up with a fire circle in the middle of the raid.

Once you understand the transitioning and all 25 of your raid members understand when to run out with their Searing Seeds debuff, this boss shouldn't prove too much of a problem. As always, good luck and have fun! I've attached footage of the whole encounter, so you can see how we dealt with the various mechanics in detail.

Yoakie
06-30-2011, 06:53 AM
On PTR we spreaded out on 8 stacks of Adrenaline on the first Scorpion/Cat Shift. However we found out that the 2nd and 3rd Scorpion/Cat shift was a lot harder due to the stacks of Fury. We handled this by spreading on 5 stacks of Adrenaline with the 2nd/3rd Scorpion/Cat shift.

Main difficulty is handling the 5 Burning Orbs in the later Cat phase. Make sure to keep the debuffed players up and cast healing cooldowns.

Aliena
06-30-2011, 12:36 PM
If that was really an issue, they must've changed this fight a lot from the PTR. Orbs are not an issue.

Darksend
06-30-2011, 02:22 PM
No, we found orbs to be a complete non-issue, you just need to wait for them to disappear before going back to scorpion.

t3ck
07-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Our 10man guild are having problem with the orbs.

We got to like 25% after the 3rd scorpion phase and the orbs spawn. We have 2 range switching per orbs. The healing on the debuff is still ok, but when the cat leap on one of them and the fire spawn, no matter how we will get 2 ticks of it and the range die.

Any tips on this part?

Motark
07-05-2011, 03:08 AM
This is the strategy how we killed him on 10man.
First group up to start with the scorpion.
We pushed bloodlust when the druid got his 5th stack after the Flame Scythe.
After that we used ToL from our druid, channeld raid CD's to go up to 10 stacks. With the application of the 10th stack we split out.
After that we push 5-5-4-4 Stacks each. Assign 1 or 2 DDs to the adds, so they die quick.

Log:
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/o4jspznrp7jjtn2a/?s=22004&e=22402

ciscokid454
07-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Fantastic video.

Predakhan
07-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Do personal damage reduction cooldowns during flame scythe increase the amount of damage other raid members take or does it just reduce the portion you take?

Kemanorel
07-10-2011, 04:02 AM
Also, does scythe split at all with pets or summoned creatures such as Mirror Image, DK ghouls and so on? And is it possible to "eat" a flame scythe by having a lone player with perhaps Guardian Spirit or Divine Shield take the full brunt, or to, in a worst case "sacrifice" a and use a battle rez to minimize raid damage?

Takethecake
07-10-2011, 10:36 AM
In 10 man pretty much any tank could solo soak at least 1, most likely 2 scythes, with all their cooldowns up and an external PS. DK's would do the best soaking a single scythe but paladins would excell at soaking multiples thanks to gylphed divine protection. This is all assuming 6 stacks of fury... at 0 stacks it's quite easy.

In 25 man the damage scales up much more than 2.5 times though, not sure why the 25 man is so much more damage proportionally than 10 man. Pretty much impossible in 25 man.

All this is just based on the numbers, not off personally trying it though, but a paladin with all cooldowns up and PS would take roughly 143k damage from a 6 stack fury scythe. More than likely they could eat 3 total, 2 with PS, and the 3rd triggering ardent defender. Druids and Warriors fair about the same as each other, but both have very large health pools with all cooldowns up and PS. DK's could possible fair extremely well if they blew all cooldowns and PS, then army of dead after AMS wore off.

Hinkakan
07-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Do personal damage reduction cooldowns during flame scythe increase the amount of damage other raid members take or does it just reduce the portion you take?

I believe not. I asked a GM once whether or not I still shared the damage from spells like maloriaks firebreath or chimearon's caustic slime when I used Iceblock to migitate the damage. He told me I still shared the damage. The damage is first applied, then any reduction from resistances, armor og cd's is calculated.

bounce
07-12-2011, 04:45 AM
I just finished watching the HC kill done by Karfagen. In the scorpion phase not everyone is in front of the boss. Is this a HC only thing, or can you use it in normal. Would make a difference if the melee could stand behind the boss.

avh
08-02-2011, 09:34 AM
I just finished watching the HC kill done by Karfagen. In the scorpion phase not everyone is in front of the boss. Is this a HC only thing, or can you use it in normal. Would make a difference if the melee could stand behind the boss.

You should start out the fight with the whole raid stacked together including the tank, with Staghelm facing everyone. This will trigger his Scorpion Form, and whenever his energy bar fills up, he'll use an ability called Flame Scythe, which will inflict about 2.3million fire damage split among all raid members in front of him. The damage on this is affected by Fury, so it will go up as the fight progresses.

There is your answer, not recomended for raiders to stand behind the boss when he starts scything, until then rogues etc can use abilities that you need to hit from behind.

Nimuryl
08-05-2011, 11:55 AM
There is your answer, not recomended for raiders to stand behind the boss when he starts scything, until then rogues etc can use abilities that you need to hit from behind.

I'm not sure this has been covered elsewhere or specifically changed, but rogues/kitties can and should stand "behind" Staghelm during scorpion phase and be able to share the scythe damage. The trick is to wedge yourself into his front armpit and find the minimum angle to shred/backstab. I was able to do this on our first raid last weekend and not lose damage having to mangle spam or expertise cap.

The next improvements for me to personally make are to make better use out of Ravage! and keep my bleeds up a little better during the cat leaping phase. Very easy fight for melee.

Zindrazil
08-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Our 10man guild are having problem with the orbs.

We got to like 25% after the 3rd scorpion phase and the orbs spawn. We have 2 range switching per orbs. The healing on the debuff is still ok, but when the cat leap on one of them and the fire spawn, no matter how we will get 2 ticks of it and the range die.

Any tips on this part?

I never really saw this question answered and it was the reason we weren't able to get the kill tonight. We had a couple 1% wipes because rng seemed to favor the cat jumping on our raiders building stacks. Is this an issue of our raiders not reacting quickly enough, or did you guys have a nice trick for ensuring that cat leap won't just gib dps?

Daimon
08-17-2011, 08:37 PM
The video is nice but you don't get the proper idea in the orb phase, the order you get in the video is a cake, they can spam anywhere, I mean ANYWHERE, we've gotten all 5 orbs in a small section of the room, with 2 or 3 stacked and the other 2 or 3 stacked 10 or 15yd away. There is not a single try where we get at least 2 orbs stack, and the other 3 in very messed up locations. Is ok the rng in some fights but this one is out of the park.

chaase
08-18-2011, 06:30 AM
I have a question on the Flame Scythe. Has anyone tried leaving a Fire Mage in front of the Staghelm and just letting him eat the entire hit alone? If everyone else runs behind him, the mage will take the full hit, cauterize will pop and it would just be a matter of healing him back up, which is minor. What about Ice Blocking through it? It should work unless there is no way to leave the mage in front alone (i.e. tank needs to get behind him)

Daimon
08-18-2011, 12:19 PM
We do the same thing with a pally tank, but if you do it to stretch each phase is wrong, the safer largest number of special attacks you should get is 6, they get faster and faster every time, and more than 6 is a risk, you won't have time to spread or collapse before the next one, ending in a wipe.

avh
08-22-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure this has been covered elsewhere or specifically changed, but rogues/kitties can and should stand "behind" Staghelm during scorpion phase and be able to share the scythe damage. The trick is to wedge yourself into his front armpit and find the minimum angle to shred/backstab. I was able to do this on our first raid last weekend and not lose damage having to mangle spam or expertise cap.

The next improvements for me to personally make are to make better use out of Ravage! and keep my bleeds up a little better during the cat leaping phase. Very easy fight for melee.

Scythe is 200 or 220 degree cleave attack so rogues and feral cats can stand to the side of the boss and share the cleave and still be able to hit the "back" of the boss.

Fiebs
08-23-2011, 06:28 AM

No, of course it does not bounce your reduced dmg to another member. How counter intuitive would that be?

is it possible to "eat" a flame scythe by having a lone player

Has anyone tried leaving a Fire Mage in front of the Staghelm and just letting him eat the entire hit alone?

In 10 man pretty much any tank could solo soak at least 1, most likely 2 scythes
Stack up. Period. A single person soaking scythes is not going to help anything (and they have to be top threat btw in order to be the only person standing in front of the boss). Stack up, share the dmg, no loop holes here (and no reason to look for one).

Pirika-Draenor
08-23-2011, 10:00 PM
I never really saw this question answered and it was the reason we weren't able to get the kill tonight. We had a couple 1% wipes because rng seemed to favor the cat jumping on our raiders building stacks. Is this an issue of our raiders not reacting quickly enough, or did you guys have a nice trick for ensuring that cat leap won't just gib dps?

We have someone calling out when Staghelm gets to around 85%.. which is seconds from him jumping.. remember, the closest person to the orb is the person hit.. so if you run back or off to the side far enough, it won't stack right in front of the orb. Even if it does, it's simply a matter of the closest person to the orb. We would have a healer and a RDPS switch off, which worked well, with a third RDPS standing by for callout.

When Searing Seeds expires, the raid member will explode everyone else within 12 yards of him for more than 60000 damage, so Whenever someone's debuff is about to tick off, they need to run out of the raid and away from other people. No one can tell you when to do this, you have to keep an eye on your own debuff timer. Failing to leave the raid in time will almost certainly result in a wipe.

If one of your healers uses VUHDO, they CAN tell you when your timer is up. I don't know about other addons, but I do know that it shows for all three of our healers. It's best to watch your own timer or at least have DBM yelling at you to get out of the group, however, it worked well for people to pay attention to the raid fully, until their name was called out in vent that it was about time for them to run out. This helped our group a lot and it also helped us healers coordinate better, as we could see when the other healer was going to be somewhat out of range or in motion and unable to help heal the raid for a moment. Mind you, we also run 10m.. I'm not sure how well this strategy would work with 25m.

Shambells
08-24-2011, 01:37 PM
So just in case there are other 10 man guilds out there without a protadin or a disc priest(yes we do exist, blizz), I thought I'd share some learning. Our comp looks like this:Prot warBlood dk who is frost for this fightRet pal Hance sham (me)Assassination rogueFire mageSurvival hunterHoly priestHoly paladinResto druidThe important thing we learned was that you cannot really get through a burning orb phase without getting screwed on 10 man. Therefore, you have two options. You can try to two heal it and bring another dps. This idea won't work because you'll never be able to put out enough HPS to get out of the first phase w/o blowing every CD you have. The other one, which we did with done success, is to extend the first phase as long as you can without losing ppl. We popped hero as soon as the 4th stack went up. Then proceeded to heal our butts off til just before the 7th stack. Clear communication is key. I'd call for aura mastery and give a countdown for when I wanted it so that I could be sure it'd cover two scythes. As soon as the 7th went off id call for tranquility, which carried us through to the 10th stack. One more raid cooldown and we couldve gone to 12, but blizz is stingy with them. Either way, ten stacks let's us get him low enough that as long as you don't screw it up later, you should be able to kill him right around the time your healers go oom and you ranged dps starts dropping like flies. My general impression of this fight is don't bring more than 1 melee so you can have your healers not have to eat orbs. Also, bring a disc priest and a protadin. Or just have some super awesome raid coordination and a helluva lot of praying. Our stacks were 10 5 4 2 dead. We couldn't figure out a way to not get screwed with him jumping on orbers; so just plan on that happening and hope he's dead by then. If you want some numbers our dps was avg at 19k with a high at 21 and the low at 18. The healers were all neck and neck at 16k HPS and were all completely oom for the last 30 seconds or so. That was with the ret and hance throwing out our heals when we could. A very satisfying kill.

Tengenstein
08-24-2011, 10:42 PM
We had no problems with Orbs on 10 man with a resto shammy/holy pally/holy priest setup. We pushed 8-6-6-5-5-5-5. We pushed lust on the third Scorpion phase with 3 healers, 3 ranged, and 3 melee, with a total raid DPS of 126k (alot lower than yours, our top was 22k our lowest was 15.5k just above the tank). We had 1 healer and 1 ranged eating each orb. They didnt' have to stand near each other just making sure they where the person nearest the, its not diificult to have them staning 12 yards apart and be the nearest 2 people to an orb. healers only had to put out ~13k hps.

Shambells
08-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Figured out why my raid is slower to progress. The RL (moi) is a moron. We had the ranged on TOP of the orbs. Wish I'd thought of that would have saved some time. So to others here's the lesson learned. Put the two ranged on the opposites sides of orbs so they don't both get jumped on. Still, in 10 man, it's very likely that he'll jump on the person currently taking stacks so I still think it's a good idea that you kill him during that phase before he screws you, but that strat should at least make it take longer before you get screwed.

Tengenstein
08-25-2011, 06:10 PM
But that shouldn't kill them. Cat phase has 3 people who you know are gonna take damage, The Tank, and the two orb soakers. assighn one healer to each of them and then throw whatever spare heals you have at the jump targets, who should be moving as he goes airborne to avoid the landings initial damage and thus only have to take 3 or 4 ticks of the AoE.

Narina
08-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Not sure why I find this fight to differ from some of these comments so much but after reading some I had to post. We go 12-7-6-5-5-5, we BL on the first phase to get as much solid dps as we can on the boss. Biggest advice I can give for the move out phase is to make sure people are ONLY going 12 yards, people slipped up and were 15-20 yards away sometimes on our early attempts. All should be back and stacked up for the 5th and 6th scythe so healers were capable.

Something important to note (we have not done this so I cant confirm it works), but forums have posted that mages/paladins (I assume rogues too, but they were not mentioned) can go outside and Iceblock/shield their debuff away before the first scythe goes off and still be stacked. Apparently when they do this the debuff automatically blows regardless of timer so make sure they are out of raid. Hopefully someone can confirm/deny if this actually works... sounds like it could be problematic to ensuring 7 people stacked on 10 man though.

I have not noticed that cat jumps ALWAYS target closest person to orb at all. We have 2 stack on each orb in 10 man with the rest just outside the circle and it seems random. The way we set up our orb pattern seems to be invaluable to me:

2 range stack about 10 yards to the west of each orb. When cat jumps there they move to 10 yards North. When cat jumps there 10 yards East. Then 10 yards south (you'd be really unlucky to be forced here if only allowing 5 adrenaline like we do). This controls the circles on your terms (it may lose a little dps, but it reduces RNG deaths severely). The range switching we do just like Baleroc, the "main" person starts closest, moves just further than the swap partner, then back when debuff expires. Only one person on each orb has to move to swap, not both. Range should be pre-moving on each jump... there is absolutely NO reason to take more than 3 ticks of damage, really should be 2.

Thats pretty much it... We stack back up for the kill during scorpion.

Also, to shambells - Are you sure your 10-5-4-2 kill is accurate? Our dps is about an 18k avg and it takes us a lot longer than you, plus we stretch phases longer.

Fetzie
08-26-2011, 02:47 AM
Something important to note (we have not done this so I cant confirm it works), but forums have posted that mages/paladins (I assume rogues too, but they were not mentioned) can go outside and Iceblock/shield their debuff away before the first scythe goes off and still be stacked. Apparently when they do this the debuff automatically blows regardless of timer so make sure they are out of raid. Hopefully someone can confirm/deny if this actually works... sounds like it could be problematic to ensuring 7 people stacked on 10 man though.

Bubble/iceblock/HoP used prior to the debuff cast will stop it even being applied. Also the tank can share an orb with a ranged dps (last night I went to 10 stacks on heroic without any real issue)

Shambells
08-28-2011, 11:22 PM
So to reply to above: I mis-typed our stacks, it's 10 6 5 4 2. Should make sense now. We've killed home twice by simply burning his face off in the orb phase and barely paying attn to orbs. It's really not worth going past 10 stacks in the first phase for three reasons. 1) you are unlikely to have sufficient raid cooldowns unless you are paragon. If you are, 2) you run a severe risk of not spreading out in time before the next probably fatal scythe, as there is only three seconds in between them at that point. 3) to top it all off, you only get 6 additional seconds of dps from ten to twelve stacks. Next, we are lucky to have some defensive cooldowns that we can cheat with. Two pallies run in after the first cat phase and immediately god bubble, our dk dies the same with AMS and the mage uses ice block. If you time it correctly you won't receive the bomb debuff. Makes that phase much simpler. Lastly, we've consistently found that Once dom is below five % it is safe to call a straight up burn on him and ignore the orb mechanic. He will due before you do. It's worked smoothly twice now, and we find it simpler to just not have an orb phase per se.
Edit: I hate you auto correct.

Narina
08-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Bubble/iceblock/HoP used prior to the debuff cast will stop it even being applied. Also the tank can share an orb with a ranged dps (last night I went to 10 stacks on heroic without any real issue)

Ahh, good to know, especially if/when we start him on heroic. Glad to know there is some truth to this.