PDA

View Full Version : Lord Rhyolith

Lore
06-29-2011, 05:51 AM
UbAwvtpWTg4

What's up everyone, and welcome to the Firelands raid guide. My name is Lore, and I'll be guiding you through the 25-man Normal version of the Lord Rhyolith encounter. You'll want two tanks and 6 or 7 healers. DPS-wise, you want at least a few solid ranged DPS, but otherwise any mix of melee or ranged should suffice.

The fight is separated into two phases, although the real bulk of the encounter is in phase one. You've got two main goals in this phase -- controlling Rhyolith's movements around the room, and killing the adds he spawns from time to time. Rhyolith himself is not tanked in this phase - he simply walks forward at a fairly steady pace. However, if he should reach the lava at the edge of his platform, he'll actually drink the lava and then spit it all over the raid, causing an intense amount of damage that almost guarantees a raid wipe.

To keep this from happening, you'll need to attack his feet to steer him around the room. Dealing damage to the left foot causes him to turn left, and dealing damage to the right foot causes him to turn right. His feet are also the only way to actually deal damage to him during this phase, so even when you have him pointed in the right direction, you'll still want to be attacking his feet. We found it easiest to assign each of our DPS to one of the two feet. When he's heading in the direction we want him to, everyone just attacks the foot they've been assigned to, but when we want him to turn, the people assigned to the other foot simply switch over temporarily.

Periodically, Lord Rhyolith will use an ability called Concussive Stomp that deals a moderate amount of fire damage to everyone in the raid and also knocks anyone back who was standing nearby. When he does this, he'll also spawn a couple dormant volcanos randomly around the room, and every once in a while he will ignite one of those, causing it to become active. Active volcanos will hit up to 6 raid members every couple seconds for a small amount of fire damage, and also stack up a debuff that causes them to take additional fire damage. In order to stop them, you need to steer Rhyolith around and get him to actually step on top of them.

That not only puts the volcano out of commission, but also causes a couple other things to happen. The good news is, it'll break off a piece of his Obsidian Armor, which means he'll start taking a little bit more damage. The bad news is that it leaves behind a crater, which will occasionally send out streams of lava that cause a very large amount of damage. Fortunately, the streams move relatively slowly and are pretty easy to get away from as long as you're paying attention.

While you're steering him around the room, he'll also occasionally be spawning two types of adds. He alternates between spawning 5 Fragments of Rhyolith and 1 Spark of Rhyolith. These are what'll be keeping your tanks busy in phase 1. One tank should be assigned to quickly rounding up the Fragments of Rhyolith so that they can be AOE'd down. They don't have too much health -- only about 400k --, but if they're still alive after 30 seconds they'll deal half of whatever they have left as damage to a random raid member. Since there's already a fairly substantial amount of raid damage going out, that can easily finish someone off even if they're low, so it's best to just kill them off completely. In most cases your ranged DPS should be able to handle this themselves.

The Sparks of Rhyolith should be picked up by the other tank and pulled away from the group, as they deal constant AOE damage to anything within 12 yards. They'll also gain a stacking buff the longer they're alive that increases their damage, so these need to be burned down relatively quickly as well, although any Fragments that are alive should be a higher priority. Again, this is mostly the job of the ranged - melee DPS should stay on Rhyolith as much as possible.

So, to recap phase 1:
- Steer him away from the edges of the room and towards active volcanos by attacking his feet.
- When you don't need him to turn, split DPS evenly between the two feet. DON'T STOP DPS
- Ranged DPS: AOE Fragments of Rhyolith and kill Sparks of Rhyolith
- Don't stand in the fire!

Once Rhyolith, or I should say Rhyolith's feet, are at 25% health, phase 2 will begin. After a short animation, he'll do a fairly large raid-wide AOE, and one of your tanks should pick him up immediately. At this point the fight is basically just a DPS burn; he has a constant fire damage aura, and hits the tank relatively hard, but otherwise it's just a straight tank and spank. Adds will stop spawning, as well as volcanos, although any craters left over from Phase 1 can still spawn lava streams, so watch out for those. Just keep everyone alive, and hit him until he stops moving.

Halandir
06-29-2011, 06:18 AM
Nice work - thanks for the prompt upload!

Kazeyonoma
06-29-2011, 06:48 AM
He was a fun fight. we got him 1 shot. the journal actually gives a pretty good idea of how to do these bosses, but it doesn't hold your hand 100% of the way. Prompt video Lore!

Also are we sure the sparks and fragments necessarily alternate? I think i got 3 groups of fragments in a row during our first pull.

TeddyTauren
06-29-2011, 07:58 AM
We used one tank on 10man he just tanked them all and pulled the aoeing one away

Halandir
06-29-2011, 09:10 AM
He was a fun fight. we got him 1 shot... during our first pull.

hrm I see what you did thar.

Kazeyonoma
06-29-2011, 02:55 PM
well, during our "kill" which was a 1 shot, which was our first pull, I noticed 3 of them in a row at least =P

Darksend
06-29-2011, 02:58 PM
He was a fun fight. we got him 1 shot. the journal actually gives a pretty good idea of how to do these bosses, but it doesn't hold your hand 100% of the way. Prompt video Lore!

Also are we sure the sparks and fragments necessarily alternate? I think i got 3 groups of fragments in a row during our first pull.

they do not, but for us it was pretty consistently 1-1-2-1-1-1-2-1 don't think we ever saw 2 sparks in a row or 3 fragments in a row.

Fetzie
06-29-2011, 02:59 PM
How did you guys handle the gauntlet trash?

Ion
06-29-2011, 03:00 PM
How did you guys handle the gauntlet trash?

Charged up the hill and aoe'd...only 3 or 4 people died...

Migol
06-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Is there any need to stop dps on the "non turning leg"? Like if you want him to turn right, do you say no cleaves or dots on the left leg? Or doesn't that matter?

Kazeyonoma
06-29-2011, 04:58 PM
well, seeing as how damage dealt is how he gets turned, cleaving the other leg will just make him straighten out more instead of turning as sharply as you like. sure you can sneak in a bit more damage that way, but if you ever miss a turn because your dps'ers were cleaving instead of focusing the correct leg, well...

Dark, yeah it just seems random (in the examply you posted you said 1-1-1 (3 fragments in a row!) but yeah we never got 2 sparks in a row. that'd be too rough to heal i imagine.

Darksend
06-29-2011, 05:25 PM
well, seeing as how damage dealt is how he gets turned, cleaving the other leg will just make him straighten out more instead of turning as sharply as you like. sure you can sneak in a bit more damage that way, but if you ever miss a turn because your dps'ers were cleaving instead of focusing the correct leg, well...

Dark, yeah it just seems random (in the examply you posted you said 1-1-1 (3 fragments in a row!) but yeah we never got 2 sparks in a row. that'd be too rough to heal i imagine.

huh what no

frag-spark-frag frag-spark

we never got 3 fragments in a row.

Kazeyonoma
06-29-2011, 05:58 PM
am i misunderstanding your meaning here?
1-1-2-1-1-1-2-1 sounds like frag frag spark frag frag frag spark frag.....

Darksend
06-29-2011, 06:09 PM
1 means something spawned once 2 means something spawned twice in a row, numbers do not denote a specific mob type

Kazeyonoma
06-29-2011, 06:09 PM
WELL BE MORE SPECIFIC MASCONE DAMN.

k that makes sense =P

Kemanorel
06-29-2011, 10:00 PM
For anyone confused, looks to be Aliena's footage and Lore is narration... unless Lore rerolled to Holy priest.

Amamaeth
06-29-2011, 10:30 PM
For anyone confused, looks to be Aliena's footage and Lore is narration... unless Lore rerolled to Holy priest.

Rerolled to a holy priest named "Aliena" too ;P

Anyway, was having some trouble with getting this boss to turn. Has anyone else noticed difficulties with just dpsing one leg as opposed to both? As in, just trying to turn right the entire time he is very hard to turn. Is there some mechanic where you have to dps both legs at some point to get him to turn faster?

smep
06-30-2011, 12:14 AM
My guild too had difficulty turning him properly. We eventually dropped down to 1 tank, 3 melee DPS steering, 3 ranged on the adds, and 3 healers. Even then, earlier on we had to have ranged switch to go help him turn.

Has anyone noticed if when his armor stacks drop and he takes more damage, does that make turning him much easier? As in, is the amount he turns directly relative to the DPS taken? I imagine if that's the case then later on in the fight we can have 1 or 2 DPS pull off of the leg and help with the adds?

oorgle
06-30-2011, 03:10 AM
My guild too had difficulty turning him properly. We eventually dropped down to 1 tank, 3 melee DPS steering, 3 ranged on the adds, and 3 healers. Even then, earlier on we had to have ranged switch to go help him turn.

Has anyone noticed if when his armor stacks drop and he takes more damage, does that make turning him much easier? As in, is the amount he turns directly relative to the DPS taken? I imagine if that's the case then later on in the fight we can have 1 or 2 DPS pull off of the leg and help with the adds?

Downed him tonight and I did not notice that his steering became any easier as his armor fell off. In fact there were several wipes around 30-40% when he had NO armor stacks that were due to inability to correct his path quickly enough after an awkward volcano eruption.

Our successful 10man strat:
Raid comp: Tanks: Paladin/DK
Heals: Druid/Disc/Paladin
DPS: War/DK, Mage/Lock/Hunter

The reason we used two tanks was because we only had one full-time dps on adds (with one of these on adds most of the time but occasionally helping to steer Rhyolith). With low add dps, some groups of adds will overlap.

Our range dps and heals stayed grouped up near the center of the platform. One tank would pick up the spark, the other would manage the small add groups with misdirects where necessary.

The two melee and one range dps stayed on the feet and steered the boss. Whoever is calling directions on steering should try to plan at least two volcanoes ahead of time. After the first couple stomps we were unable to smash every volcano that was up, but you only need to focus on the ones that are active.

3 dps on feet is enough to keep him in control MOST of the time, with a little forward planning. With a fourth dps ready to switch to feet, it is possible to make him do a complete 180 with almost no forward progress on the foot being damaged -- this was the key to managing the randomness of the volcano spawns, and preventing them from getting stacks too high for our healers to manage. The swing dps should only need to switch to feet once or twice unless you just have terrible, terrible luck.

Even with one dps swinging from adds to feet occasionally and leaving only one dps full time on adds, it still felt like a MUCH more controlled and healer-friendly fight when we were able to steer Rhyolith quickly.

With two tanks managing adds, the major priority in the fight becomes stomping the erupting volcanoes before they stack up debuffs too high to become unmanageable. With good add control and nobody standing where they shouldn't be, there is really not very much damage that goes out in the first phase of this fight unless you let a volcano stay active.

Phase 2, as per the video, is just a quick burn. If everyone is still alive when the phase starts it should be no problem.

Narosia
06-30-2011, 05:24 AM
My guild and I seem to be having a massive problem on getting too many debuffs. We are stomping over every Volcano that comes our way possible yet still dying from too many debuffs. I don't really see what we are doing wrong?

Yoakie
06-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Just make sure to have a tank outside the raid to taunt and take the Spark of Rhyolith out the raid asap. We had little difficulties with it which made healing a lot easier in phase 1. There is also a good guide out there on how to position here at: http://25man.com/firelands/rhyolith

Narosia
06-30-2011, 06:47 AM
Does it matter which leg you DPS first thou?

arod235
06-30-2011, 08:35 AM
The legs share a healthpool so it doesn't matter which leg you start with so long as he doesnt reach the magma river.

My guild was having issues with the sparks in 10M version. we tanked them off to the side but it seemed that the next set of fragments came so fast that we couldnt kill the spark before switching to the fragments. After the dps downed the fragments and switched back to the spark the tank was taking too much dmg to heal thru. Did anyone else have this issue? I saw someone suggest only 1 dps assigned to adds and I just dont see how thats a possible strat. our build was 2 tanks 3 heals 2 melee and 3 ranged dps. we had to keep 3 to 4 dps on the feet when he was coming close to the river to turn him.

Another post mentioned that it doesnt appear to be actual dps that makes him turn, stating that even at 40-30% they were still having some issues turning him without switching an extra person onto the feet so would that suggest that it doesnt necesarily matter how much dps your doing but rather how many people are attacking it?

This fight seemed like it was one of the easier fights of this instance so long as people know how to stay out of fire I just want to try to get a good grasp of what we are doing wrong so I can lead the raid in the right direction.

Fetzie
06-30-2011, 08:44 AM
I think it is more the amount of dps on the leg compared to the other one.

So a 50:50 split would make him run straight ahead, while a 60:40 split would make him turn slowly and a 90:10 split would force him to make a very tight turn.

oorgle
06-30-2011, 12:32 PM
arod:

As far as turning goes, it appeared to me that it was either based on the number of people attacking a foot, or the damage that would have been done to the foot before the obsidian armor reduction. If it were simply damage done, a single dps after the armor is reduced to zero stacks would have been more effective at turning than 3 or even 4 dps were at full stacks. This was simply not the case for us -- we saw no improvement in our ability to turn him as the fight progressed.

With adds, we did have only 1 assigned *permanently* but 95% of the time we had two full-time add dps. The second dps on adds was our swing man, in case we needed the boss to make a quick flip around to hit an active volcano behind him. Typically, this required ~5-10 seconds of extra dps time, before the second add dps could return to killing adds.

Even with low dps on the sparks, the damage is pretty manageable (should only be hitting tank anyhow) if you can keep the erupting volcanoes under control and limit the number of stacks your raid gets. The biggest thing killing us was the eruption and associated stacks, which is why we assigned that fourth dps to be ready for a quick dps switch for higher boss mobility.

For fragments, keep in mind that you have a full 30 seconds before they explode. If you're using two tanks, one tank should be on them full time. Depending on your tank's damage, your dps probably only need to be able to do 20k aoe to squash them before they pop. We found that it only took one dps to do this, leaving our 2nd add dps free to either dps the spark or hit the feet as needed.

Once again, the most critical thing for us was getting the active volcanoes stomped immediately. If you let them go and your raid gets high stacks, otherwise trivial damage becomes life-threatening. Sparks and fragments will crush your tanks, a misstep into a lava stream becomes a 1-shot on a dps or healer, and the boss's periodic concussive stomp will send your healers into panic mode.

Lilmissy4205
07-01-2011, 01:28 PM
For anyone confused, looks to be Aliena's footage and Lore is narration... unless Lore rerolled to Holy priest.I watched Lore and Months Behind down Rhyolith on justin.tv. I think he found out that jtv stream quality sucks and that melee PoV sucks for showing this boss. I don't think you'd want to watch what we saw... A lot of boss ass and very little visual on adds.

Beleriond
07-04-2011, 04:14 AM
People,

I have a question regarding Ryolith's steering. Last night I was on add duty (prot war), mostly due to the lack of being able to see Ryolith's "steering bar".

I use Bartender4 for my action bars and pitbull for my unit frames (using a customized version of Caulle's UI). According to guildies the steering bar should be approximately in the middle of the screen, at the bottom (so technically above the standard blizz ui action bars). Even though I don't have an action bar or anything else in that part of my screen I don't see the steering bar at all.

I was wondering whether anyone else had this problem and, if so, how they solved it. If I could only find the bar I could probably use the "MoveAnything" AddOn to move it but the main issue is...I don't see it. Slight problem is that in order to be able to test where it is, I'd need to be fighting Ryolith...which is not very handy hahaha.

Any info and advice is welcome.

Bel*.

Tajel
07-04-2011, 01:01 PM
I've had issues with the addon Sexy Map interferring with default UI and other addon UI. If you're using it, could be the culprit Bel*.

Magusmaya
07-04-2011, 06:07 PM
I know this post is a little out of place, however I was wondering if someone could help me with the addons used in this video since the UI seems clean and functional, and I wanted to improve my performance.

DexterBelgium
07-04-2011, 11:37 PM
People,

I have a question regarding Ryolith's steering. Last night I was on add duty (prot war), mostly due to the lack of being able to see Ryolith's "steering bar".

I use Bartender4 for my action bars and pitbull for my unit frames (using a customized version of Caulle's UI). According to guildies the steering bar should be approximately in the middle of the screen, at the bottom (so technically above the standard blizz ui action bars). Even though I don't have an action bar or anything else in that part of my screen I don't see the steering bar at all.

I was wondering whether anyone else had this problem and, if so, how they solved it. If I could only find the bar I could probably use the "MoveAnything" AddOn to move it but the main issue is...I don't see it. Slight problem is that in order to be able to test where it is, I'd need to be fighting Ryolith...which is not very handy hahaha.

Bel*.
I was able to solve the exact same problem with the exact same addon combo last night. In my case it was in the options for Pitbull, in the "modules" (I think) subsection, under "Hide Blizzard Frames". When I disabled the hiding of the "Alternate Power Bar" it appeared the very next pull. Hope this helps!

Beleriond
07-04-2011, 11:53 PM
I was able to solve the exact same problem with the exact same addon combo last night. In my case it was in the options for Pitbull, in the "modules" (I think) subsection, under "Hide Blizzard Frames". When I disabled the hiding of the "Alternate Power Bar" it appeared the very next pull. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it later today when I get back home :)

Bel*.

MadMax
07-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Looks pretty easy yeah? We have been trying Beth all week and now I think we picked the wrong one to shoot for first!

P.S. What's up with the mack-daddy music in this video? The ladies already love your luxurious hair Lore, they don't need bedroom music to boot!, though I suppose it don't hurt...

xmod2
07-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Does anyone know if the 'activate volcano' beam has a range? In the video above it seems like one of the far out volcanoes stays dormant for a decent chunk of time (until the boss is brought near it).

If this is the case, it would explain the behavior we saw the other night. Our melee were a little "too" good at steering the boss, keeping almost all of the volcanoes down quickly but also having him within range of one almost all the time. We noticed our stacks were always higher and not resetting in this case, and I'm wondering if his positioning had anything to do with the activating of volcanoes.

pyxio
07-06-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm wondering how many dps do you usually assign to sparks and fragment respectively?
We tried him for a little bit but didn't got him down, due to stacking volcano's debuff. We were stepping on them quite quickly, is there a need to avoid stepping on dormants ones?

klausi
07-07-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm wondering how many dps do you usually assign to sparks and fragment respectively?
We tried him for a little bit but didn't got him down, due to stacking volcano's debuff. We were stepping on them quite quickly, is there a need to avoid stepping on dormants ones?
We had three assigned ranged dps for adds and three melee for his feet and with the redesigned movement control mechanic it's rather simple to direct him towards the active volancos. The stack shouldn't get too high, 10 at maximum before fading and you should pop a raidcooldown for a stomp + high stacks. If not you'll have to work with your kiters in the first place. On normal mode Sparks and Fragments should die in time to any three ranged dps + your tank, doesn't matter what classes you bring.

Takethecake
07-07-2011, 04:22 PM
In 25 man we were running 9 dps on legs and 7 dps on adds. The fragments really aren't hard to kill in time and I don't think I've ever actually seen one blow someone up. The sparks probably could have used a 1-2 more dps but fragments die so fast that it didn't really matter when the sparks took longer to kill.

The main thing is to always be heading towards the active volcano. If you miss one or diverge from the path to get inactive ones, healing will get extremely heavy really fast.

Will have to see next week how the nerfs yesterday change this fight.

pyxio
07-08-2011, 03:19 AM
In 25 man we were running 9 dps on legs and 7 dps on adds. The fragments really aren't hard to kill in time and I don't think I've ever actually seen one blow someone up.

THIS. It worked fine for us.

Our main mistake was to aim for any volcano so... I'd advice not to. Aim for active volcanos only.

pyxio
07-08-2011, 03:19 AM
In 25 man we were running 9 dps on legs and 7 dps on adds. The fragments really aren't hard to kill in time and I don't think I've ever actually seen one blow someone up.

THIS. It worked fine for us, thanks.

Our main mistake was to aim for any volcano so... I'd advice not to. Aim for active volcanos only.

Zegai
07-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Is this fight bugged? We were attempting him last night, and sometimes, especially near the platforms, he would do a sharp turn to the opposite side (ie. hitting right leg, bar at max, he would suddenly turn left, possibly after stomping), and we would not have enough time to turn him back.

If we have to expect this behavior normally, I'd ask my raid to look out and switch immediately, but we decided to try another boss thinking (and reading reports) that this is a bug.

Wulfram
07-09-2011, 06:33 AM
People,

Bel*.

I (as Fury) had the same issue, and talking to Feral Druid mate of mine, He set the transparency of his top 2 bars (bartender bars of his 4) down a touch and I found that to work for me as well.

squats
07-09-2011, 05:41 PM
there are a handfull of mods that can move it.

yes i had the same problem, and i moved it.

PriestMLH
07-12-2011, 07:36 PM
My guild got our first kill on him last week with some relative ease, but since the "nerf" we had a very hard time with him tonight. He seemed really stubborn and straightened out way too fast...anyone else having any problems? Or did we just suck worse this week?

Cheekyazz
07-13-2011, 05:16 AM
Hi there, please help us with this Boss10 man raid, made up of 2 tanks, 1 dk bloody 1 pally tank. 3 healers 1 druid, 1 priest and 1 pally. 5 dps 1 hunter 1 mage 1 boomie 1 frost dk 1 ele shammy.For boss we have tried paly tank to go ret with frost dk and mage on legs, turning is too slow, far to slow, we have tried same combo but with a hunter, sort of better, then using just 1 tank on fragments after a while they are scattered not managed properly and that becomes more issues. Ive read you need 3 melee so how are guilds downing this boss if they do not have 3 melee in the grp ? this boss seems buggy to us, we had a ret pally in ilvl 378 gear veyr decked out, be from the number 1 guild on my realm and using him 1 dk dps and a mage in between the legs turnt so easy, but with our full raid grp where people arent in or near full 378 leg turning is an issue, its slow, to slow. SO if we put 4 dps on legs we are damned on frgaments/sparks. what do you suggest ? we are ditching this boss and going to bale instead as 3 weeks we cannot down him. Only ones we have down are shannox and beth on easy farm, and lord being a huge hinder in progress

moonkin
07-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Hi Cheekyazz,

we've put Ryolith at 100k yesterday at our first/last pool.

Use 1 tank - 3 healers - 6 DPS (4 casters).

1) All DPS at the legs, he will walk faster. (3 at each legs, you must assign).

2) Tank taking fragments and spraks.

3) When adds pop, all ranged switch and burst adds. Only the 2 remaining DPS (pala/war/dk) stay at the legs during adds.

Assign somebody to lead the DPS of the legs (much easier if someone lead this DPS focus).

The boss will walk quickly to all volcano and you will get the boss quickly to 25%.

All raid should be behind the boss at transition ... burn BL and go loot !

Good luck.

Skinzenbonz
07-19-2011, 08:43 AM
How many volcanoes is everyone hitting before getting him to 25%?

We worked on him last night and seemed to have issues getting below 50-ish%. We had the normal issues where people stood in the fire but several attempts we had the boss up for 5+ minutes and I felt like we should have went into P2 but weren't close. I felt like the healers kept people up long enough to get us to P2 and while the adds DPS wasn't stellar, it seeme like they had it under control more times than not.

We have 3 melee on the feet. Steering seems to be ok but I do feel like we are turning a lot chasing volcanoes all over the plateau. We only seem to hit 6-8 (about 1 every 30 - 45 secs or so). We can certainly do better by 2-3 but is 8-10 volanoes enough?

Thanks.

Giliandrix
07-19-2011, 09:02 AM
We always get him to 0% armor before phase 2.

Wulfram
07-19-2011, 11:07 AM
1) All DPS at the legs, he will walk faster. (3 at each legs, you must assign).

Hi Moonkin,

As a dps warrior, I see the damage I/we are doing increasing as we blast his armor down with his volcanoes, but I havent seen a pattern with dps/walk speed.

I understand the more dps means a shorter encounter and the higher/focused dps means tighter turns.

Can any here add to the "More Dps = He will speed up" theory?

Pallie
07-21-2011, 11:42 AM
My guild seems to be having similar problems to Skinzenbonz (http://www.tankspot.member.php?2869-Skinzenbonz) where we break the armor all off and then the fight seems to continue to drag on. Are people moving rdps over to his body whenever the armor is completely off and pushing him to the last phase? Talking 10m here, group makeup is:

1 prot pally tank
3 mdps driving (rogue, frost dk, fury warrior)
3 rdps on adds mostly (mage, lock, hunter)
3 heals (holy priest, shammy, druid)

I'll mention also we're probably average ilvl between 363-366 at this point.

Also, after the armor is gone, do your drivers keep driving him towards active volcanos or are you just looking to burn him into the last phase? From videos, it seems like active volcanos AND adds disappear when he goes into the last phase, is that correct? Thanks for any tips.

Pruke
07-21-2011, 12:40 PM
My guild seems to be having similar problems to Skinzenbonz (http://www.tankspot.member.php?2869-Skinzenbonz) where we break the armor all off and then the fight seems to continue to drag on. Are people moving rdps over to his body whenever the armor is completely off and pushing him to the last phase? Talking 10m here, group makeup is:

1 prot pally tank
3 mdps driving (rogue, frost dk, fury warrior)
3 rdps on adds mostly (mage, lock, hunter)
3 heals (holy priest, shammy, druid)

I'll mention also we're probably average ilvl between 363-366 at this point.

Also, after the armor is gone, do your drivers keep driving him towards active volcanos or are you just looking to burn him into the last phase? From videos, it seems like active volcanos AND adds disappear when he goes into the last phase, is that correct? Thanks for any tips.

I have only seen his feet as targets till he hit's 25%. Volcano's stay up until he hit's p2, so we still steer him to them so stacks do not get so high since he still does all the same things once his armor is gone that he did prior to that.

Short version is burn feet to 25% and handle the fight the same way you handled it from the start until you are at 25%. At 25% however, everything despawns and you just have the boss. There is however a delay in the time phase 2 starts and he is actually damage/threat able. I know because tuesday, I was tanking adds/boss and when p2 started I taunted and layed into him. He stood up 2-3 seconds later and 1 shot the druid standing there. The druid had 800k threat, so it appears the threat carries over from p1 to p2. Just be aware, at least it appears so anyhow.

Wulfram
07-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Very pleased to say our little Guild knocked this Guy off his feet. :D

Our Pally tank has a heals offset, so we single Tanked it.

Our Raid leader instructed us (just before phase 2,) to have him simply miss volcanoes, so his Molten Fury buff dropped off, ranged and healers stacked as soon as he sat down, and we got the kill.

I found this fight to be a little frustrating, as a melee, I wish it was as easy as it seemed, I felt we should have finished him before last night, but for us, he's down now.

Narosia
07-22-2011, 02:39 AM
Hello all. Me and my guild seem to be having some problems on this fight on HC. Our setup is the following:-

1 Protection Warrior
2 Healers - Shaman and Paladin
2 Melee - Frost DK and Feral Druid
5 Ranged - Warlock,Mage,ShadowPriest,Hunter and a Boomkin

We seem to be downing everything very smoothly, running him over volcano's, adds are dying quickly but we still seem to be at least nearly 1 minute out on the Superheated timer of 5mins. We are getting him to 90% on the pull just after the first stomp at the start of the fight, we are DPSing the legs at 30 armour stacks. I don't know what we are doing wrong. If anyone has some advice it would be great. Thank you

klausi
07-22-2011, 06:46 AM
You two heal this fight on heroic (woot!) and still don't manage to push him before the superheated mark? Unless you're running with very low dps (compared to others with a three healer lineup) i can't see what's wrong with you - a log might help. Do your assigned spark/fragment killers multidot both legs to speed things up? With a warlock, shadowpriest and a boomkin your lineup is predestinated for this. We use three dps on the legs and three dps on the adds and we barely manage all that at the first superheated mark.

Narosia
07-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Yeah, everyone dots everything and nukes everything. We use the DK to switch on the blobs to stop them running to the boss as well. I just don't understand =/ and most of the DPS are pulling 15-20K+ DPS

mad_hatter_md01
08-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Anyone have any suggestions from the point of view of a Destro warlock for this fight? Im having to move around so much i cant keep my dps above 10k. Any help would be nice.

Troxje
08-11-2011, 05:29 AM
Hi there, please help us with this Boss10 man raid, made up of 2 tanks, 1 dk bloody 1 pally tank. 3 healers 1 druid, 1 priest and 1 pally. 5 dps 1 hunter 1 mage 1 boomie 1 frost dk 1 ele shammy.For boss we have tried paly tank to go ret with frost dk and mage on legs, turning is too slow, far to slow, we have tried same combo but with a hunter, sort of better, then using just 1 tank on fragments after a while they are scattered not managed properly and that becomes more issues. Ive read you need 3 melee so how are guilds downing this boss if they do not have 3 melee in the grp ? this boss seems buggy to us, we had a ret pally in ilvl 378 gear veyr decked out, be from the number 1 guild on my realm and using him 1 dk dps and a mage in between the legs turnt so easy, but with our full raid grp where people arent in or near full 378 leg turning is an issue, its slow, to slow. SO if we put 4 dps on legs we are damned on frgaments/sparks. what do you suggest ? we are ditching this boss and going to bale instead as 3 weeks we cannot down him. Only ones we have down are shannox and beth on easy farm, and lord being a huge hinder in progress

In our 10m setup we use 1 tank.
We got 2 melee dps and 1 ranged (ele shaman ) on the legs. We use the ele shaman for steering, since he has good overview. Especially in the start when he has many armor stacks using cooldowns helps alot for the tricky turns! Communicate for dps cooldownuse.
We run with 3 healers.

We got 2 hunters 1 Mage on the adds, the misdirects help alot :)

Our average ilvl is about 365-370, so i think turning should not be a problem. Just make sure to use dps cooldowns at the start, since dps is low due to his armor. When his armor drops turning is getting much more easy.

Quinafoi
08-11-2011, 08:02 AM

To respond to the general question of how to do it in 10 man, I'll quote myself from over in the Strategy Discussion (http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?76370-Strategy-Discussion-Lord-Rhyolith).

On 10 man normal I've been using the single tank method with three DPS on the feet and three DPS on the adds. Even if the spark doesn't die before the fragments spawn, the fragments themselves aren't terribly threatening as far as their regular melee is concerned.

As for steering the boss the method I've always been recommending is assigning two of the DPS to the inside leg and one to the outside leg of the curve you intend on taking. The one on the outside leg is largely responsible for actually steering the boss. With this split you will make a relatively consistent large circle and the person on the outer leg can switch to the inside leg to sharpen the turn as needed. Favor going wide as it is always easier for the one DPS to switch and sharpen a corner than it is for the others to switch and swing the boss around.

When volcanos spawn in the middle you have two general options. One is to make a smaller circle one time in the same direction to cut through the middle. The other is to cut through the middle and flip turning directions like half of a figure eight. Where other volcanos are will largely determine which of these is ideal. If it's time to sharpen the turn the steering DPS switches to the inside leg. If changing directions is required they should call for the other two dps to switch legs as the boss is passing through the middle. If changing directions isn't required they should return to the outside leg trying to once again widen the curve. Also, the DPS in charge of the team never actually has to call out instructions for the rest of the steering team unless their job is changing reducing the amount of commands required (if I can do the necessary job myself, I don't need to tell everyone else, only if I need them to do something do I need to talk).

I find this method is slightly more effective in 10 man normal than having all of the steering DPS switching back and forth because it should only require the other two dps not in charge of the team to switch if the direction of the boss is actually being changed. Having all DPS switch back and forth causes the bosses steering to be a lot more volatile, having only one switch causes much smoother steering.

One other note, on a single tank strategy you have to come to understand that the spark is actually higher kill priority than the fragments simply because it needs to die quickly enough for your tank to be able to pick up the fragments. Since the fragments die relatively quickly dps should be able to catch up on those before they explode.

Once the feet reach 40% or less health, the ranged DPS should clean up any currently active adds and then switch to burning the feet to push the phase. It only requires about 75k raid dps on the feet to push that remaining 15% before any new adds would detonate which even given the ramp up time of some classes any 10 man raid in tier 12 should easily be able to do. Meanwhile the tank simply tanks any new adds and waits for the phase to despawn them.

While the method you employ is largely up to you, if you are a 10 man normal raid this is my general recommendation.

Use a one tank strategy with three dps on adds and three dps on the boss. DPS assigned to adds should avoid DPSing the boss unevenly to prevent any unintended change in direction, if you are one of these dps and attack one foot, try to also do the same attacks to the other foot to balance out as a very general rule. Having three DPS on the boss will not only make steering him significantly easier but will also shorten the first phase simply because his health is droping a little faster. Of the three DPS on the boss, one needs to step up and take charge. That one person will do the vast majority of actual steering the boss while the other two remain consistently on the inside leg unless directed to switch. One person making the decisions and one person controling how wide or sharp the curve will be will result in significantly smoother boss steering than if all of them are trying to switch back and forth and the boss is swinging around wildly.

Quinafoi
08-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Anyone have any suggestions from the point of view of a Destro warlock for this fight? Im having to move around so much i cant keep my dps above 10k. Any help would be nice.

Move around less. As a ranged DPS the only reason you really have to move is to avoid the magma flows. This fight doesn't actually require a lot of movement for ranged DPS and if you are moving excessively then you are probably simply moving unnecessarily. Additionally a fight where the boss starts with an 80% damage reduction you shouldn't be surprised to see lower average DPS numbers in the first place.

Theotherone
08-12-2011, 06:59 AM
We were working on this last night and were under the impression we had to get the armor to 20% to phase change, but it's the legs to 25% that pushes him I take it? We had gotten the armor to 30% a couple of times. But I'm assuming that as the armor wears down we should be pushing the dps on the legs.

Quinafoi
08-12-2011, 07:34 AM
On normal mode you should be getting him to 0% armor well before the phase change (around 50-60% health) however as DPS increases the amount of time spent in phase one decreases so over time you may actually start seeing the flip sooner. As a general rule, you want the feet to be about 40% at which point you can ignore any additional add spawns and easily burn him into the next phase before adds would explode. Depending on actual raid DPS you may be able to switch to burning him sooner but 15% in 30 seconds (add detonation time) is quite easy once his armor is gone.

Theotherone
08-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks, Q you've been very helpful. Our raid dps range is running 21kdps (the 2 mages) to 15kdps so we should be able to push him. We're one tanking and if everyone stays out of the fire and is mindful of avoiding stacks the healing is not that bad.

Quinafoi
08-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Two keys to the transition. One, you want everyone topped off going into the second phase cause the first stomp will hurt a lot. This means even though you are burning the feet to push the phase as soon as possible, you can't let yourself get tunnel vision and take extra damage from something like a magma flow. Two, you need to kinda learn the sweet spot for ranged to group up behind the boss such that AoE healing can hit the melee as well, but the ranged are not being knocked back. It's helpful if melee stands close to their max range so that it is easier for the ranged to gauge where to stand. One of the few things that can cause the second phase to go sour is healers not healing to their full potential or ranged dps not burning to their full potential because they took a knockback that could have been avoided. Some groups may also choose to pop a cooldown for the first stomp to help while the raid repositions however if the raid was topped off before the phase started it shouldn't be necessary.

Lønnesirup
08-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Great guide! But I am wondering: when are you guys going to make a Heroic Lord Ryolith guide? I know "Months Behind" has downed him, so shouldn't it soon be time to make a guide?

Keep up the good work :) Your guides has helped me alot!

klausi
08-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Well the fight isn't really different from normal mode on 10m, you'll want to avoid Magma Flow at all cost and kill him between bombing fragments and nuking sparks. All you need is more dps to do that and you'll have to think about bringing 2 or 3 healers for 10m (3 = it's more likely you'll have to deal with some superheated stacks, 2 = you seriously can't eat more than a few Magma Flows or you're done).

3 dps to drive him, 3 for the adds leaving you with one addiotional dps in a 2 healer setup assisting on the spark and driving.

ferdy30
09-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I have a few question about this fight. Our raid group is DOT heavy (we run with 2 locks and a feral druid). If the same dots are applied to each leg will this effect the speed at which you can turn him?
Also during phase 2 we are having a hard time with every1 just dying (at the start everyone will be full health then shortly afterward bam everyone is dead). Do most raid groups stack up for this phase or does anyone have anyother advise to help with this phase? He is going down quick but we have wiped at least 3 times with him being at 3 percent or so.

Clothar
09-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Yes, you should stack up in Phase 2 so that you can pop your healing cooldowns like Tranquility, or PW: Barrier. You should have a rotation of those cooldowns so that you have one up most of the time. This is when your healers should be spamming their AoE heals since Rhyolith will still be stomping, and doing that AoE fire damage. Drop any AoE heals you have below you, pop Bloodlust and just kill him as quickly as possible. As for dots, I don't think having the same dots on him will make it harder to turn, but when turning him, you should get the locks to transfer their dots to the other leg if they can(I believe locks have this ability?) or just stop reapplying dots when you are going to turn him, since they will slow down the speed with which you turn him. We have 2 locks and a feral druid in my raid too, and we haven't been having too much trouble turning him.

Shambells
09-11-2011, 11:10 PM
We ran into that problem as well, ret hance rogue drivers. If you aren't very careful with your dot applications, you can seriously screw yourself. He will literally drive right into the lava. Either stop applying dots right before he needs to turn (which can be very difficult to judge based on f•cking RNG spawns), or simply do not use dots. I personally didn't believe this would be effective after countless attempts on this boss driving right into the lava until we literally banned dots one attempt and the mofo just fell over easy as pie. We loosened the ban after we realized you just have to be VERY careful with DoTs.

Tengenstein
09-12-2011, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't recommend not using Dots, putting dots on both legs will do the same effect as not putting dots up on either but will increase the damage done over all shortening both phases,

Shambells
09-19-2011, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't recommend not using Dots, putting dots on both legs will do the same effect as not putting dots up on either but will increase the damage done over all shortening both phases, And for the classes that can effectively multi-dot that works. But those are usually ranged classes. And most guilds use melee to drive. For my toon, the dot that ends up screwing me is searing totem as a hancer. By the time I get it stacked it's usually time to switch legs, except my totem is too retarded to switch. (WTB f$cking /petassist. /glare [target=blizzard]). So it's sitting there doing a not inconsequential amount of damage to the other leg while we are trying desperately to turn him. And then he drinks. Now repeat that fifty or so times. And then guess why we outlawed dots on the legs. It's just not worth it.

Quinafoi
09-19-2011, 02:38 PM
That sounds more like the failing of an individual which is the point what Tengenstein is getting at. Each individual is responsible for doing their job correctly. In your example it isn't everyone applying DoTs failing at the mechanics, it's one specific person.

Shambells
09-19-2011, 05:23 PM
I agree to a point. As raid lead in a guild that could generously be described as semi hardcore, I know that it's usually the aggregation of a series of individual failures that leads to a wipe. I can't count on optimal play at all times from all raiders, including myself. I can barely count on decent play. And given the target audience of these forums, I hardly doubt I'm alone. With all that being said, while learning this fight, or any other, I see it as my job as RL to minimize the number of things my raiders have to think about. Therefore, when we were progressing on this bos, I found it simpler to ban dots outright than add yet another thing to my raiders' platter. Once we had it safely on farm, to speed it up, yes you can multidot the legs. However, I would never make that suggestion to anyone attempting to learn the fight. Also, given the armor buff on his legs, we found later that multidotting doesn't shave much time from the fight, as the only Part of the fight that could conceivably be considered a dps race is the last 25%. Which lasts not even the duration of heroism. So to reiterate my point, the risk vs reward of dotting the legs is minimal, at best.

Kerchunk
09-21-2011, 06:30 AM
the only Part of the fight that could conceivably be considered a dps race is the last 25%.

I don't find this to be true; in practice P1 is much more of a race for the DPS. If he stays in P1 too long multiple active volcanoes are likely to tax your healers - eventually beyond reason. P2, at least on normal, is no longer an issue of any kind. The fight is basically over when he hits P2 now.

Also, given the armor buff on his legs, we found later that multidotting doesn't shave much time from the

This is specious reasoning. The armor effects ALL damage so scaled DoTs are just as important to bringing down the legs as scaled melee, scaled range or scaled direct damage spells... it's all DPS and he needs to hit 25% as soon as possible.

Personally, as a RL, if you're asking your DPS not to DPS something that needs to die quickly... well you better damn sure have a solid reason for that. I don't really see it here.

At any rate it's a bit of a moot argument anyway. This fight is easier than most 5-man cata content now. I forgot to put my DPS gear on last time and we still downed him (basically 1 DPS on the legs). It's difficult to have a serious strategy discussion about the boss in his current state.

Shambells
09-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Agreed, those comments were pre-nerf. As a result, though I think it still has merit, I'll not continue the argument. Just go faceroll through the instance for the next four months. They at least could have done the nerfs like ICC and ramped them up. GG.