PDA

View Full Version : Priest Shadow priest dps! help!

cocheese
06-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Hai.
When I dps with my spriest I try my best to maximise all my DPS.
I'm using a standard rotation of
VT
DP
SW:P
MF
MB
and keeping dots up with the help of MFclip
I use archangel and shadowfiend whenever theyre up just for any boost it gives my dps.
I can never seem to pull more than 11k dps in my zandalari gear.

I'm wondering if theres any non-gear relating issues I could address to boost my dps by a couple of thousand. Perhaps an addon for multi dot-ing?

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bcGoZZGbGdRzrd0fo:kMRMboz0M

klausi
06-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Your opener looks wrong to me:

SWP
DP
VT
Fiend
MB
MF
MF
Archangel

Besides that: 11k on a doll? On trash? With 15% buff? 11k doesn't sound to bad for a boss fight, given that most shadowpriests with your gear and all raidbuffs avaible only pull ~20-25% more on raidbosses.

Giliandrix
06-24-2011, 06:54 AM
That opener is subpar too Klausi

What you really wanna do is...

Before the pull,

Fade (If you're runnning with a real ghetto tank), Pre-Pot

SW:P
MF x1
MB (If and only if an Sorb procs)
MF x1
VT
DP
Fiend
Archangel

Move the MB to the 2nd MF, if a sorb procs after the 2nd MF. If it doesn't proc after the 2nd MF, throw up your dots anyways, and just MB whenever you get an orb.

klausi
06-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Move the MB to the 2nd MF, if a sorb procs after the 2nd MF. If it doesn't proc after the 2nd MF, throw up your dots anyways, and just MB whenever you get an orb.
Simcraft shows MB on CD ahead of saving it for orbs. For your rotation you basically got two options, roll your dots at the start and apply them later on when all your proccs (power torrent, trinkets, etc) occurs and ES is up or MF for some time until you got your orb and apply your dots afterwards. Simcraft shows the first variant slighlty ahead.

cocheese
06-24-2011, 07:57 AM
why does nobody open with mind spike?
it would undoubtably increase dps and the opening is the only place you can use it without cancelling all your dots!

Quinafoi
06-24-2011, 11:34 AM
why does nobody open with mind spike?
it would undoubtably increase dps and the opening is the only place you can use it without cancelling all your dots!

Because...

DPET <> DPS

DPET determines the priority of an ability. How much damage is dealt by the ability relative to the time it takes to execute it.
DPS determines the throughput of an ability. This is the rate at which the damage is applied.

For a direct damage attack DPS is equivalent to DPET because all of the damage was dealt in the same amount of time as it took to execute the action.

For a damage over time effect however, DPET is always greater than DPS. For example...

You have an 2 second cast that does 30,000 direct damage. The DPS of this ability is 15,000 and the DPET of it is also 15,000.

You also have a DoT that ticks for 5,000 damage every 2 seconds and has an 12 second duration and is an instant cast. That DoT does only 2,500 DPS. However, the DPET of it is 20,000 assuming no haste at all so a 1.5 second GCD.

The direct damage attack does 12,500 more DPS than the DoT, however, the DoT is a higher priority because you will do more total damage relative to the 1.5 seconds it takes to execute when compared to the 2 seconds it takes to execute the other cast.

The DPS of an ability does not determine it's priority, the DPET does.

cocheese
06-27-2011, 03:08 AM
I assume you have taken into account the extra crit chance of your next mind blast & i will further assume that its not noteworthy.