PDA

View Full Version : Tanking When to switch to stam?(if at all)

pulled
06-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Hello fellow tanks, I am 1/13 358 ilvl tank looking to be in some 25 man hms soon. I was wondering if some of the tanks who are clearing 4/13 or more have switched to stam gemming or trinks and when is it ok to do so? if u are not hard switching to stam what is a good goal for hp levels fully buffed? also what flasks/elixirs are u using stam or mastery/armor/resist?

plz only post if u r clearing this content and have real game experience/success with these bosses. ty for ur time.

Bigbad
06-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Think i started heroic modes with 178k raidbuffed now at 186/187k depending on 1-2 items, sometimes switch helm/neckpiece around. I always use the stam flask just because its easy with the guildcauldron and it balances nicely with the masterygemming i have. Currently 7/13 Hc soon to be 8 i hope ;) http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/wildhammer/bigbadorugly/advanced

I don't feel like i need more stamina, everything can be handled with proper use of cds/trinkets and last stand is always nice to save your ass if you do drop low sometimes. I know our bear uses a bit more stamina oriented gear when he's maintanking maloriak and i might switch in a bit more stamina if we go for Chogal but i feel really comfortable tanking all hardmodes so far with this gemming and using Tol barad trinket + 1 stamina one. Think you need about 180k to survive chimearon's double attack during feud if you get 2 regular blocks.

As long as you don't die to spike damage you have enough hp, might also depends a bit on your healers. Just go for what you find comfortable to tank with and what makes your healers happy. Properly rotating cds with shieldblock or on specific abilities is probably going to be more important then a few k more hp, love rotating vial of stolen memories with shieldblock for 40 secs of awesomeness.

Good luck :)

klausi
06-05-2011, 05:37 PM
It's rather simple: any boss hitting like a truck on his own + magical damage where your healer can't bring you back up without another 35k buffer from gemming stamina (8k)/flask (8k)/trinkets (9.5k + 9.5)? Using either worm or vial constantly isn't that bad, worm got an awesome procc and vial a neat avoidance cooldown, add a stamina flask if the magical damage isn't too high or you're not willing to use 50+ elixirs a progress night and there's almost no reason left to bother with gemming for stamina at all*.

*unless you rush that place and go for Nef/Cho'gall/Sinestra without gearing up on heroic mode for some weeks

I'm running with ~ 190k on farm content with a flask/1 stam trinket/pure mastery gemming combo, since they changed shield block to also reduce magical damage i don't feel in need of more hitpoints via gemming anymore.

justinlee
06-24-2011, 03:53 AM
i dont like the stam gems now, i think stam+parry , stam+dodge or gems dont have stam will make u greater

kopcap
06-24-2011, 08:11 AM
There is not a fight in this tier that requires stamina, unless you are undergeared. The closest encounter is probably heroic Cho if your the debuffed tank. Even there all you need is a couple of well timed external CDs.