PDA

View Full Version : Druid Gemming and Gear help

burton992
06-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Returning to the game from a break, and looking for a little advice.

I feel im ready to start HCs, but my main concern is hit and exp, ive read alot of different views on whether i should be hitting the soft caps for HCs.

Currently my priority is a little like this dodge>agility>mastery>stamina>crit>exp/hit

Atm im pretty much clueless to what i should be gemming and reforging, basically i couldnt decide what to do so i just gemmed a little bit of everything apart from hit/exp.

So basically i would just like someone to go through my gear and spec and let me know what reforges and gems i should have.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/silvermoon/replicias/simple

Thanks.

Quinafoi
06-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Don't gem mastery as a feral tanking druid. Your gemming should include...

Agility
Dodge
Stamina

The cuts you will find yourself using are:

Delicate (Red, Agility)
Polished (Orange, Agility/Dodge)
Shifting (Purple, Agility/Stamina)
Austere (Meta, Stamina/Armor)

Simply put, any Red or Prismatic socket gets Delicate. Any yellow socket gets Polished. Any blue socket gets Shifting.

If the socket bonus is anything other than Agility or Mastery it likely isn't worth pursuing and you would prioritize Agility only gems, though most of the time these will be the socket bonuses on Agility items.

You shouldn't gem for anything other than those three stats. You may adjust your gem selection to include the Solid cut (just stamina) though you shouldn't require a stat shift like that until at least Heroic Raid content.

burton992
06-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Don't gem mastery as a feral tanking druid. Your gemming should include...

Agility
Dodge
Stamina

The cuts you will find yourself using are:

Delicate (Red, Agility)
Polished (Orange, Agility/Dodge)
Shifting (Purple, Agility/Stamina)
Austere (Meta, Stamina/Armor)

Simply put, any Red or Prismatic socket gets Delicate. Any yellow socket gets Polished. Any blue socket gets Shifting.

If the socket bonus is anything other than Agility or Mastery it likely isn't worth pursuing and you would prioritize Agility only gems, though most of the time these will be the socket bonuses on Agility items.

You shouldn't gem for anything other than those three stats. You may adjust your gem selection to include the Solid cut (just stamina) though you shouldn't require a stat shift like that until at least Heroic Raid content.

Thanks for the advice, but what would you suggest for hit and expertise, is it worth reforging a few items just for HCs, cos i here you can basically drop all your hit and expertise when you start raiding.

Quinafoi
06-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Since you're just starting heroics you will have some threat issues, however threat is largely a matter of technique and not so much a matter of gear. The issue you will face will be because of gear difference between you and the rest of your group. While you may be on the low end, they may be on the high end or just plain overgeared. You aren't expected to be able to hold threat on something two tiers ahead of you. You are exptected to be able to hold threat for people at a comparable level.

I'd highly recommend that when you run heroics you do so with your friends and guildies, don't do them in pick up groups. PuGs are generally impatient and since most people will have higher gear they may not have the patience to help you catch up. Being with people you know will make it less stressful as they help you catch up. Since you are just starting heroic dungeon content, you will be using more CC so you will also be responsible for fewer mobs at a given time making things a little more bareable as well. As you start to get better in gear and skill, less and less CC is used and you are able to handle more and more mobs without issue.

Something else you should realize. Heroic dungeons don't have raid bosses. So the actual caps on hit and expertise are actually much lower. Your base chance to hit the target is higher because the target is lower in level. So not only are they low in value, but you also need less of it to cap out.

burton992
06-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Since you're just starting heroics you will have some threat issues, however threat is largely a matter of technique and not so much a matter of gear. The issue you will face will be because of gear difference between you and the rest of your group. While you may be on the low end, they may be on the high end or just plain overgeared. You aren't expected to be able to hold threat on something two tiers ahead of you. You are exptected to be able to hold threat for people at a comparable level.

I'd highly recommend that when you run heroics you do so with your friends and guildies, don't do them in pick up groups. PuGs are generally impatient and since most people will have higher gear they may not have the patience to help you catch up. Being with people you know will make it less stressful as they help you catch up. Since you are just starting heroic dungeon content, you will be using more CC so you will also be responsible for fewer mobs at a given time making things a little more bareable as well. As you start to get better in gear and skill, less and less CC is used and you are able to handle more and more mobs without issue.

Something else you should realize. Heroic dungeons don't have raid bosses. So the actual caps on hit and expertise are actually much lower. Your base chance to hit the target is higher because the target is lower in level. So not only are they low in value, but you also need less of it to cap out.

Thanks very much for all the advice its been really helpful :)