PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Working my way up

Mafioso0311
05-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Im returning to tanking after a very long break.
This is my toon so far:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/eonar/mafioso/simple

I need advice in knowing if Im heading in the right direction or am I lost in the sauce.

I have tried to make sense of the stats for tanking, but they are a bit over my head. What should I be aiming for? I know that Dodge/Parry should be kept as close to each other as possible, but dont understand what to do for the other stats.

Im still reading and researching how to be a better tank and need all the advice I can get.

Thank you all in advance for the help.

Cas.

P.S.
Trash rotation: Is that only for Raid trash, like the spiders in Naxx or for regular five mob pulls?

Loganisis
05-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Maf:

What is your trash rotation?

A) Enchants, if it's 346 or higher and it's not enchanted, you're doing it wrong. Basic truth, you need raid drops to replace most of it so enchant your gear.

B) Stats Mastery > Parry > Dodge > Stam sub-hardmodes. Parry =/= Dodge because of Hold the Line. Parry is actually better than dodge, how much better depends on the amount of mastery (block + crit block) you have. The more you have, the better parry is compared to dodge so the deeper into DR parry is than dodge in order to maximize the effect of HtL with the increased DR of Parry.
Yellow/Prismatic/DPS Socket BOnus = 40 Mastery
Blue = 20 mastery/30 stam
Red = 20 mastery / 20 parry

C) If you're serious about tanking, all gear should be reforged. If it doesn't have mastery, reforge something into mastery and then usually parry (sometimes dodge). Reforge away from DPS stats first (crit/haste), then threat stats (hit first, then expertise), and finally, usually away from dodge before parry.

D) There's a lot to get your head wrapped around. The primer I wrote in my sig isn't perfect, but it should help you understand Cata tanking as a WarTank and then any specific questions or clarification you need, feel free to ask :-)

D)

Mafioso0311
05-18-2011, 06:13 AM
Thank you for the quick reply and great tips.

I am starting to use your tentative AOE rotation, but my execution of said rotation still needs work.

I will reforge for more Mastery and Parry/Dodge once I get home.

Blue = 20 mastery/30 stam

Does this mean I should look for a blue gem that has 20 Mastery/30 Stam OR look for a gem that has either 20 Mastery or 30 Stam?

As per your tanking Prime, it has already been printed, read and being refered to after a night of taking to see if I made any major mistakes.

Tomorrow I will be buying FRAPs and start to record my runs and see what is REALY happening while I tank, not what I think is happening.

P.S.

So I should continue to stay out of Heroics Instances until I get more Mastery, enchants and reforge.

Loganisis
05-18-2011, 08:11 AM
20 mastery/30 stam is a green hybrid gem. Same for 20 parry / 20 mastery being an orange hybrid gem.

Red, Yellow, Blue gems gives you 40 of a stat (60 if it's stamina). Hybrids (green, orange, purple) split that 40 points equally between 2 stats (or 20 points for one stat and 30 points for stamina) - basically hybrids take half the rating from each color they are pulling from (purple combines one red and blue, green is yellow and blue, orange is yellow and red).

I would stay out of heroics until:
A) You are around 50% block as the target; and
B) You are comfortable with AoE threat; and
C) You are comfortable with single target threat

And then be aware that some people will expect you to be an uber tank because people are just jerks. XD

And don't take the primer as gospel. It's pretty good, but it's not perfect :P

Giliandrix
05-18-2011, 08:17 AM
http://www.wowhead.com/item=52219/fractured-amberjewel
http://www.wowhead.com/item=52215
http://www.wowhead.com/item=52231

Mafioso0311
05-18-2011, 09:31 AM
I see what you mean about waiting for Herics. I ran a Halls of Origination last night that had me close to rage-quit the party.
Hunter + Mage + DK + Druid Healing and me.

Every pull I lost agro. The moment my charge hit the mob, they would all run pass me before I could Rend-TC. I tried to TC as I got there instead of first hitting Rend, but I still lost agro. I know that both the Mage and Hunter where going full speed the monet I hit with charge. The hunter hitting Multi shot and the mage AOE-ing to his heart content. I asked for some time to gain agro, was called a n00b and to learn to tank.

Its easy for me to blame the DPS, but Im not sure how much of that faul belongs to me. I think that I should be able to hold agro once I Heroic Throw, Charge, Rend, TC, SW,...but how do I do my rotation when I loose agro from the other four mobs after I charge in?

Heck maybe I need to make another thread for this =P

Loganisis
05-18-2011, 10:17 AM
It was fail DPS.

3 Things:

1. Mark targets.
2. Tell your group to wait until they see TC before they start and to start on Skull. It's not learning to tank, it's the simple fact WarTank's AoE threat requires 2 GCDs (more if the inital rend misses/is dodged/parried)
3. If the Hunter isn't Misdirecting to you he's fail.

But really - the biggest reason, besides gear I suggest waiting is more confidence. You need to be confident in your abilities or it will be hard to tank a heroic as you're starting out.