PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Frustrated Prot Warrior

Gygax
05-09-2011, 05:12 PM
My guild told me that when i tank the healers have a tough time keeping my health up, They suggested that my defensive stats need work, I'm at wits end, Some guides says that Stamina & Mastery are top stats & you should keep Parry & Dodge equal, Some say Parry should be higher than Dodge, I don't know what to believe anymore

Unbuffed My Dodge is 12.00%, Parry is 15.75% (Over 16% with buff food) & my Block is 43.42%, Are these good stats, Unbuffed my health is around 160k

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/shandris/gygax/advanced

mistraele
05-09-2011, 06:59 PM
i had closer to 50 percent block and about those figures with a lot lower stam. ditch all those 60 stam gems, put some mastery or hybrid ones there.

theres also a few pieces you can reforge out to for more mastery.

kopcap
05-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Your itemization is horrible, get rid of all those dodge/exp pieces and exp enchants. Swap stamina gems to mastery. Make sure you got a proper uptime on SB, TC and Demo shout. And don't use parry food, use mastery.

Gygax
05-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Your itemization is horrible, get rid of all those dodge/exp pieces and exp enchants. Swap stamina gems to mastery. Make sure you got a proper uptime on SB, TC and Demo shout. And don't use parry food, use mastery.

So i should forget expertise, What enhchant is good to replace the expertise one on the bracers, also should i socket pure Mastery yellow gems or a Hybrid gem like Green?

kopcap
05-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Dodge. Hybrids are fine as long as they are mastery hybrids.

Loganisis
05-10-2011, 12:52 AM
Some guides says that Stamina & Mastery are top stats & you should keep Parry & Dodge equal, Some say Parry should be higher than Dodge, I don't know what to believe anymorehttp://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/shandris/gygax/advanced

You're likely confusing guides for Hard Mode progression with Normal Mode progression. But no Prot guide should say keep Parry = Dodge unless it says to skip Hold the Line, but if it says that, it's not worth reading.

Overally broad statement #1 - For sub-hard mode raiding (heroics and normal mode raiding) you should be mastery-centric, keep parry above dodge, and ignore hit/expertise.

Overally broad statement #2 - For hard-mode raiding (and this is second hand, hopefully our guild starts this week) - Stamina becomes more important and hit/exp are important if your raid is hitting enrage timers and wiping because of it (hit and expertise' value is more so DPS can go all out earlier in the fight and not wait as long for tanks to establish snoozable threat).

Regarding your toon:

Yes, if you're riading with 43.42% block... you're going to be noticabley harder to heal. And your bigger health point pool is just going to be a bigger chunk of health that needs to be healed up.

Right now you're at 43% block, probably 11% dodge after DR and maybe 14% parry after DR? I'm guessing on the numbers after diminishing returns - but you're looking at then ~43+11+14 = 68% of the combat table covered by dodge/parry/block. Add in 5% base boss miss and you're at 73%. That means 27% of incoming attacks are full hits - or you're taking a full hit, on average, nearly every 4th string - and full hit strings are fairly likely. You're also in the range of what, around 35% crit block, so 35% of your blocks become crit blocks.

Even when using Shield Block you may still take full hits... 73% + 25% = 98% of the 102.4% you need to have every incoming attack at least mitigated by block.

If you focus more on mastery and gear that doesn't have hit/exp on it, you should be upwards of 80% block/parry/dodge/boss miss. This means fewer hits that aren't at least blocked. Also, because of your higher master, you'll reach the point where each block is more likely to be a crit block. And when you hit shield block you can guarantee every incoming melee attack will at least be blocked with the 'extra' block rolled over into crit block.

The effect of all of this might be less damage, (though it could be the same until you start swapping gear with hit/exp for master/(dodge/parry) or dodge/parry gear) but, the damage you do take will be in smaller, more easily healed chunks so heals can use smaller, more efficient heals to keep you up rather than the more mana-depleting big heals.

So, to improve it, general guidelines you should follow until you hit hard mode raiding:

1. Gemming:

Yellow = Mastery
Blue = Mastery/Stam
Red = Mastery/Parry
Prismatic (any color e.g. ebonsteel belt buckle) = Mastery
DPS Socket bonus (hit/crit/exp/haste) = Mastery

Reforging: Does gear have mastery on it?
i. If no, Reforge lowest priority state (haste then crit then hit then expertise then dodge then parry typically) into Mastery*
ii. If yes, does the gear have dodge/parry as the second stat, if not, reforge into dodge parry**.

* Sometimes you actually come out ahead reforging dodge or parry into mastery instead of the other stat if the item has 2x as much dodge/parry as the other stat, typically hit/expertise. But it's a case by case basis and the difference isn't large typically.
** The gap between dodge and parry grows larger the more mastery you have. As you have more gain more block, Parry gets better because of HtL so even though you're getting less rating per point, you're still gaining survability to a point.

3) The only enchant that needs to be switched is the wrist - don't need the expertise.

4) If you do have a choice between hit or expertise, take the expertise, it's 2x as effective as hit until you have 26 expertise, which you won't get to. The reason being 120 rating removes 1% miss or (1% parry AND 1% dodge).

As for your spec - Deep Wounds > Cruelty for threat. Taking your 2 points out of cruetly and putting them into deep wounds will be a TPS increase. Deep Wounds also plays nice with your 3/3 incite.

I personally, favor not putting points in Shield Bash - but that's a personal preference, every time I say that Reev pops up and says he loves it XD - what I would do, though it's not written in stone, is take the 1 point out of thunderstruck and 2 in shield bash, and move them into deep wounds - this would keep 2/2 in cruelty and maximize your single target DPS. AoE will suffer slightly, but Cruetly and Deep Wounds come out ahead of thunderstruck for single target.

So as a couple of examples - your neck has a blue socket but it's bonus is +hit. Socket it with a 40 mastery gem and ignore the bonus.
Your shoulders have almost 2x as much dodge hit, but no mastery - you're probably going to see better returns via reforging dodge into mastery and the exp/stam gem should be replaced with a mastery/parry gem.

Glancing at it, it looks like you'll drop 390 from regemming, or 3900*1.15 = ~4585 raw HP I think. But that won't matter much because you'll see your block reach ~50%, dodge may drop a little, parry will likely drop 2-3% as well, but overall it will be a survability increase. Don't forget to reforge trinket dodge/parry into mastery - and I'd recommend getting the TB Faction trinket, Mirror of Broken Images or whatever it is, 321 mastery + a dang good chunk of magic resistance on only a 1 min CD.

Libellus
05-10-2011, 05:07 AM
and I'd recommend getting the TB Faction trinket, Mirror of Broken Images or whatever it is, 321 mastery + a dang good chunk of magic resistance on only a 1 min CD.

Awesome trinket is awesome, the mastery is always helpful and there are so many fights where the extra resistance comes in handy.

That said, while I use the mirror and the heroic porclein crab for a lot of content, there are fights which benefit from using different trinkets. Chimaeron is a good example of where a larger health pool and trinkets that proc at low health are handy. More so than in previous raid content, you'll be mixing your trinkets to match the situation.

But in sumary mastery > all for the non-heroic raid content. Reforge your hit, expertise and dodge to get your mastery up. Re-gem for mastery, re-enchant for mastery and get your block up above 50%. Once you're above 50% you'll notice a big difference, especially if your combined dodge+parry+block takes you over 75%.

swelt
05-10-2011, 05:54 AM
I'm going to say what I always say in "squishy tank" threads: Gear is a factor, but it's much more commonly down to technique:
- Not keeping debuffs (tc/demo) on the target
- Not making good use of cooldowns (especially shield block)
- Not properly reacting to encounter mechanics (esp. using cooldowns at the right times)

Giliandrix
05-10-2011, 07:14 AM
Wow your stuffs looks good now!

Just change your boot enchant, and get a weapon enchant and you're good to go! Here's my armory if you wanted a comparison

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bladefist/giliandrix/simple

kopcap
05-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Ye, good job. Now

- get rid of SW glyph
- put mending on main hand and r19 on ranged
- drop points in gag and TS for DW, when you need AOE spec drop Cruelty for TS
- get TB trinket
- drop mining for JC in a long run

Gygax
05-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it, I've used Mending before on my weapon but what about Windwalk.

kopcap
05-10-2011, 10:12 AM
If you have crystals, absolutely.