PDA

View Full Version : DPS Fury of Angerforge or License to Slay

Playmaker
05-09-2011, 06:05 AM
Quick question - should I equip Fury of Angerforge or License to Slay. I've read mixed reviews on both, and it seems my dps both in raid and on raid practice dummys can be random at times. I'm using TG. Anyways suggestions? Thanks!

Bung
05-09-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm assuming you have heart as your other trinket. From what I've read what trinket you use depends on the fight. If you are doing Magmaw for example and don't have do to the chains you can easily use FoA during head phases and it's better than LtS. For fights like Ascendant counsil LtS is probably better. So fights with less movement and well timed FoA windows benefits FoA, otherwise LtS. All of this assumes you are hit capped as well.

Bung

mrmojoz
05-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Any fight where you to get pick how you unload your cool down combo, the FoA is going to come out on top.

All of this assumes you are hit capped as well.

I'd avoid using the phrase "hit capped" to mean "yellow capped" as they are two different things.

Beefius
05-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Id go with both... prior to getting the heroic 372 heart of rage they are the two best trinkets for fury; just make sure to reforge the hit on license to slay into crit.

Fury of angerforge is strictly better than heart of rage because having a damage CD you can control will get you better damage returns since you can proc it during burst phases, whether situations like hitting magmaw's head or immediately after a colossus smash or at the beginning of an execute phase.

License to slay is just win all over; its a reliable buff to DPS regardless of situation; the only time i replace it is on nefarian fights where i use the mirror of broken images with the mastery reforged to hit, because nothing hurts your dps like dying to a crackle :P.

Other than that your only consideration should be reaching your required stat caps; obviously this is where you might prefer the exp of heart of rage but i think that is mostly an issue if you are SMF rather than TG.

Oh, and if you are using one of the strength trinkets like the darkmoon card or crushing weight, again you are better off replacing it with LtS or FoA.

Crittable
05-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Oh, and if you are using one of the strength trinkets like the darkmoon card or crushing weight, again you are better off replacing it with LtS or FoA.

Not to gank this thread but I'm curious about this. I just picked up Crushing Weight (I think that's the one from council, I can't remember the name for sure) on my SMF warrior and I don't have Heart of Rage yet, but I am currently using FoA and LtS. I've been considering swapping out the FoA for the static strength and proc'd haste. Trying it on a few trash packs and one boss in ZG, my dps seemed to go up slightly but I think it was a case of RNG. Just curious WHY I wouldn't want to use the passive strength with a "meh" haste proc.

SeptimX
05-09-2011, 07:08 PM
crushing weight haste proc, you see a few sec burst,

while with FoA and LtS you can control your burst when you want to proc FoA, and maintain high dps output, none moving so much LtS stacks 380 STR is very good...

Crittable
05-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Right, I am debating on keeping LtS but switching out FoA for Crushing Weight... What I'm concerned about is does the crit and on use str of the FoA outweigh the static str and the haste proc of Crushing Weight enough to stick with FoA? So far, I am only using the FoA on use cooldown when I hit my other dps cooldowns (deathwish, racial, etc...) which are all macro'd into one button. I have always been horrible at using "on use" items and generally only use them when I'm using all of my other abilities.

Loganisis
05-09-2011, 08:05 PM
I know FoA is very good for certain fights, however I found it very unreliable and dropped it as soon as I could get LtS.

Even in fights like Magmaw, I would hit the first exposed head phase and it wouldn't be up. I just got sick of FoA not being ready more than half the time I wanted to use it. I like the consistency of LtS.

But then I was on chain duty too. However even on other fights when I had FoA, it just never seemed to be up. I've been very happy with HoR and LtS. I don't miss FoA at all.

Crittable
05-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Yeah I'm sure I'll enjoy HoR when it finally drops and I'll use that with LtS. To be able to drop my expertise on other pieces of gear for more crit or mastery will make me a happy camper. Until then, I have 3 trinkets, 1 of which I'm sure to keep, but trying to decide between the other two is irking me.

SeptimX
05-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Yeah I'm sure I'll enjoy HoR when it finally drops and I'll use that with LtS. To be able to drop my expertise on other pieces of gear for more crit or mastery will make me a happy camper. Until then, I have 3 trinkets, 1 of which I'm sure to keep, but trying to decide between the other two is irking me.

well i have normal HoR, FoA, and Lts, and the LtS FoA combo gave me better results, so in the end, choose which 2 combo is good for you, reforge for caps, and just go out there and have a blast.

Beefius
05-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Its true that FoA can be annoying at times (ie. when the buff drops off and it takes time to build back up again), but generally worth it because you can choose to stack it with other buffs which multiplies its effects, whereas procs simply cant be relied upon at all.
Generally I find it pretty good to just blow FoA at the first available opportunity with colossus smash and death wish; you will usually get 2-3 opportunities to do this per fight, at least one of which taking place during the execute phase. I guarantee this will get better returns than Crushing Weight.

Mazar
05-10-2011, 01:15 AM
What about Arms, would FoA be good? I currently run with the Lts and the darkmoon card and I looking to get Hor soon, but I didn't thought too much about FoA, specially for its fame of unreliability.

Beefius
05-10-2011, 02:05 AM
What about Arms, would FoA be good? I currently run with the Lts and the darkmoon card and I looking to get Hor soon, but I didn't thought too much about FoA, specially for its fame of unreliability.
I dont see why FoA wouldnt be good for arms; crit is just as important and so is the strength on CD. As for its unreliability; really its more reliable than a random proc trinket so try to think of it that way.

Playmaker
05-10-2011, 02:42 PM
K, so I've been equipping HoR and swapping out License to Slay and Fury of Angerforge. And as mentioned in previous threads above, it seems license to slay improves my dps more when I'm moving around quite a bit, while FoA is better during an encounter such as magmaw. Does this seem correct to ya'll?

Loganisis
05-10-2011, 02:50 PM
I dont see why FoA wouldnt be good for arms; crit is just as important and so is the strength on CD. As for its unreliability; really its more reliable than a random proc trinket so try to think of it that way.

It's more reliable in lining up with CDs. But unless it's a chance on crit proc, trinkets with proc abilities tend to be very reliable, just not at the ideal time.