PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Are higher item levels always best ? What trinket for me

Rosakleb
05-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Hi

Me http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/thunderhorn/rosakleb/advanced

I have the following trinkets some are shown as higher Item levels than theothers, but are they the ones I should be using just because they are higher itemlevel ?

I am currently using

http://www.wowhead.com/item=56458

and NON heroic at this time

http://www.wowhead.com/item=56121

but I have the following available to me

http://www.wowhead.com/item=56370

and

http://www.wowhead.com/item=56347

What items would you use as a pally tank and why (so i can learn thereasons)

ta for the input

Tengenstein
05-09-2011, 05:39 AM
No, ilvl should never be a consideration. The actual stats on the piece should be. wiuth that in mind i would drop mark of Khadros, while the mastery is nice and the str isn't bad its more of a DPS trinket. Leaden Dispair is a good trinket, while stamina isn't a as great as it used to be, it's still nice, and the mastery proc is guaranteed to be there when you need it.

Fayre
05-09-2011, 05:40 AM
My choice would be to use Throngus's Finger and Leaden Despair.

The first of the trinkets you linked (Mark of Khardros) isn't really a tanking trinket at all, because the only real defensive stat on it (mastery) is on a 'use' ability. Keep it for a ret set but put it aside for tanking, in my opinion.

Throngus's Finger has good defensive stats. I would recommend reforging some of the parry to mastery.

Heart of Thunder is a tanking trinket but I think the armor is a bit low to really stand against Throngus's avoidance stats. Leave that one.

Leaden Despair is a pretty strong trinket with plenty of stamina and a nice proc. I think that one is worthwhile you keeping and using at your current gear level.

You should consider doing the Baradins dailies to get the mastery trinket from there - Mastery is one of your strongest stats as a paladin tank, and it also a very powerful cooldown against magical damage, which is quite handy.

Quinafoi
05-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Item level does give you a great deal of information, however you are looking at trinkets. Trinkets because of how they function must always be looked at independently because you won't always find an identical trinket stat/effect on all tiers of content. Actual gear such as a helm however you would typically find the higher item level to be better almost all of the time because of the higher primary stat values. Going from say a parry/mastery item to a dodge/mastery item from one tier to the next makes relatively little difference since secondary ratings are rebalanced through reforging. You should always be aware of relative stat values because it is always possible that an item high in a secondary stat you favor being traded for an item completely missing it may be significant enough of a loss to overtake the gain in primary stats on the higher item level, most of the time however this is not the case.

Trinkets are always the exception to the general rules because their effects vary from item to item.

aresius
05-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Ilvl is only usefull to have a notion regarding the magnitude of the base stats that will be provided by the item. The quality of the itemization and hence the usefullness of the item to your role is something you can only analyze by having some reasonable knowladge of your class mechanics (a basic theorycrafting) and a good idea of what it is you strive to gain.
Mark of khadros is not a tanking trinket and really shouldent be considered by a tank (str trinkets are only usefull for soloing old content - small healing and dps increase - as another post here already discussed).
The heart of thunder, although a tanking trinket, is utter trash. The laughable amount of armor doesent give 1% of phisical damage reduction.
With those four as options, your best choices are, as above stated, Leaden despair and the Finger.
Still, its important to stress that, although Leaden is a good trinket, it is a stam trinket. For certain situations you may prefer having a mitigation (mastery) alternative (tanking multiple enemies with strong and/or fast phisical atacks).
Aditionaly, the Finger is a quite terrible tanking trinket. both stats it provides are subject to DR, already vastly available in every other gear slots,and smaller in priority comparing to mastery or stamina.
Knowing your class and your needs gives you possibilitys to keep a open mind to less obvious but much better choices for trinkets. For a prot pally, Tias grace (a mastery and dodge proc trinket from Tol vir), or even Soul cascet (VP caster trinket) are far better choices then the Finger, and neither are "designed" to be tanking trinkets (or even better farm the TB trinket).

Giliandrix
05-10-2011, 07:54 AM
What are you tanking exactly? What you say affects these answers very differently.

Stratis
05-21-2011, 10:24 PM
If the stats are better on one item, and the other has a higher ilvl, as long as the higher ilvl item is in your invintory it will count towards your actualy average ilvl.

Quinafoi
05-22-2011, 11:26 AM
If the stats are better on one item, and the other has a higher ilvl, as long as the higher ilvl item is in your invintory it will count towards your actualy average ilvl.

This is irrelevant to the topic of discussion. This discussion is about which trinket is actually better to use, not which inflates your ego more.