PDA

View Full Version : Tanking DK vs Pally...thinking about switching

TifaniaMGP
05-02-2011, 02:41 PM
I have a DK in average gear (item level 354) have been clearing ZG and ZA pretty easily. But there are certain times, especially on dragonhawk boss with all the adds coming out, that I just have no runes. I just hate not being able to do anything for 4-5 seconds because all my runes are depleted.

I also have a level 71 prot paladin I been leveling up that I enjoy a lot. It just seems like paladin would be easier to hold AoE agro with because they have shorter AoE cooldowns especially on their cleave attack. At level 85 are pallys easier to maintain agro with over DKs? I know healers say they like having a DK tank but I feel like im spazing out sometimes trying to pick up adds because I dont have any damn runes.

Michultradk
05-03-2011, 09:16 AM
There are reported problems with rune regen in the new dungeons, not sure what the problem is but I have experienced some wierd things as well.

To answer your question though, no Pally's are not easier. All tanks have ~the same amounts of AOE threat tools, depending on what talents are taken or your rotation, is what matters over one class or the other. You didnt list your rotation or your armory link so we have no way of knowing.

swollenpickles
05-03-2011, 07:16 PM
I have an 85 DK and Paladin both in 350+ gear and personally I find it easier to hold aoe threat on my DK. DnD, Bloodstrike, Blood Boil and spreading diseases with pestilence seem to make holding the attention of larger groups. Paladins have Hammer of the Righteous and Avengers Shield, but consecration is now fairly costly (if not talented) with a long CD and holy wrath is really the only other aoe option on a 15sec cd.
Bottom line it's probably going to come down to playing style. Both classes have the tools to do the job, but if I were forced to pick a winner, I'd say DKs just take the edge at this point.

Klokkn
05-03-2011, 09:23 PM
DK have the best AoE aggro, as mentioned above. What I would suggest is to save your runes for holding aggro only, your dps will drop, yes, and the boss will not die as quickly, but you will be able to hold all of your targets. Try that, it helps on AoE only fights.

Dedic
05-03-2011, 10:33 PM
The difference in abilities between a DK and a Paladin are not significant enough that you should play one over the other. I think the key to your choice is something you said yourself:

I also have a level 71 prot paladin I been leveling up that I enjoy a lot.
If you enjoy it, play it. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Tengenstein
05-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Indeed, playing a class you get on with is going to be better EVEN if that class is at a disadvantage for a given encounter, but for the most part the tanking classes are quite balanced so you can be confident that the class you play best is the most viable tanking class for you ro play.

aresius
05-05-2011, 03:08 PM
didnt read all the replies, so someone might have put this out, but imho Dks have stronger aoe aggro and its also much more flexible.
throwing D&D on any spot you want instead of having the option of consecrating the spot your standing on for a mediocre dot and massive mana cost is awesome. - frankly i think kiting worms from magmaw is easy with a dk and impossible for a pally.
Aditionaly another traditional pally trademark - self healing, is now stronger with dks (since they put a cd on word of glory).
Imho, pallys tanks strong points compared with other classes is essencialy they have more stuff to do besides holding aggro and not dying.
they can throw hands on varied situations to save raid members, use divine guardian to mitigate damage raidwide, and loh someone about to die. Prot warriors have movement abilities, dks have AOE aggro/self healing, DG and a freaking bres. Bears are fat.

Netheras
05-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Rune Strike to have a chance at getting back runes, use Blood Tap, use Empower Rune Weapon, and if DnD + diseases doesn't help you get aggro, then there is something up with the dps (how are they pulling that much threat but not downing the adds before it becomes an issue?).

On fights with lots of adds (like the dragonhawk guy) I will usually pop Dancing Rune Weapon, as I have it glyphed to increase threat generation - this also helps on AoE threat as far as I know. So DnD + Blood Boil after a pestilence from the boss usually snaps everything to me.