PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Am I Heroic instance tanking ready

Rosakleb
05-01-2011, 03:40 AM
Hi
I would appreciate some advice please
I am a new pally tank I levelled as ret and have never tanked before.I am not sure that is a bad thing as other tanks were talking what a pain it was going from Lich King to Cata heroics

I have been tanking in normal instance now for a bit and am enjoying it a lot :)
I feel I should take the next step up but not sure if my gear is up to the job ?
I think it is but would love to have your input
I would have posted my armoury link but my phone is not playing ball :(

My char is called Rosakleb on the EU Thunderhorn server

wrath555
05-01-2011, 05:05 AM
Armory is being uncooperative at the moment, so I will just give you a very generic response and then alter it when I can check out your gear. Sadly there is no specific number that is the bare minimum for heroics (I mean it does help if you are nearing the avoidance soft cap, but if you are not that does not mean that you can't tank heroics), so as a result the only way you can tell if you are ready for heroics is by judging this yourself. The main thing to keep in mind is, success in heroics is not dependent on the tank being as geared as physically possible so that the dps can randomly pull and the healers can go and make themselves a coffee. If you go into a heroic knowing the fights (check tankspot), knowing how to use cooldowns at the most opportune times so that you make things easier for you healer and knowing how to mark pulls and utilise crowd control you will more than likely be able to tank it with sub-par gear.

That said, there are some things that you can do before you attempt heroics. Making sure that you have all available rep items [the cloak from Hyjal, the boots from Dragonmaw, the bracers from ramahken and your rep specific enchants], making sure that all of your gear is socketed and enchanted appropriately and making sure that your gear is optimally reforged will make things a great deal easier for your healer.

TL;DR The gear you have is only as good as the player using it.

wrath555
05-01-2011, 05:22 AM
I checked your gear... yes... definitely.... (you already seem to have some heroic pieces)
Enjoy tanking heroics :)

Martie
05-01-2011, 08:11 AM
I don't have to check your gear. If you can queue up for a random heroic, you can tank them.
(The two new heroics aren't included in that statement.)

Rosakleb
05-01-2011, 12:42 PM
now on a pc so can post my armoury link
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/thunderhorn/rosakleb/advanced

thanks all for the advice will be trying it out soon after ive watched a few videos, can only 2 two heroic instance tankspot vids or am i missing the obvious ?

Gregasaurous
05-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Your gear and stats look more than heroic ready. I have a few suggestions though.

Enchants: Obiously get the rest of ur items enchanted. And i would highley recomend losing your current weapon enchant. While Mending may appear to be useful, there are much more practical things you could use. Healing you is the healers job, they shouldn't need help doing so.

Gems: Once again, fill up that last slot. Also, you have a random assortment of gems. This is slightly frowned upon. If possible i suggest you do as follows:
Gem straight mastery WHENEVER possible. (yellow/prismatic or if the socket bonus isn't really worth it.)
Red socket: Parry/Mastery
Blue socket: Mastery/Stam (you can gem straight stam if you want, but most people only find this nescacary for high level raids)
Your Meta looks good.
Geming in this manner will get you closer to the Soft Cap.

Rosakleb
05-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Awesome thanks for the tip
I was thinking of getting a better enchant but was told to wait till I get a better weapon as it's very expensive

What do you think ?

Gregasaurous
05-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Well, i use a Weapon Chain, mostly because I'm a blacksmith and therefor it just takes a little time to farm mats to make it. I'll admit there is some logic in waiting for a better wep if enchants on ur server run high. Though that's a pretty good one you have equipped, so it's your choice. If you decide to go for a better one though, a lot of people are also inclined to:

Hurricane: (chanco on hit Haste Increase) it may seem completely unescacary as a tank but when you're fighting a trash mob you have a pretty good chance of it going off and then you're hitting the trash mob more in less time which acts as a nice threat booster.

Landslide: (chance on hit Attk Pwer increase) basically the same as above, it's a good threat boost.

There is another one, i think it increases Dodge by a very large amount C.O.H. but i'm also pretty sure it requires malestrom crystals. I only have a vague recolecion of it and don't have time to look it up right now.

Anyway, happy tanking.

Dedic
05-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Windwalk

Loganisis
05-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Windwalk on 359 or greater (maybe 353) weapons.

Weapon Chain (very small threat boost) or mending (very small heals) on 346 weapons.

/end list.

Well... maybe bears and the +130 agility? Dunno about that one.

Landslide *might* be an option for hard mode raiding when as the tank you need the extra threat, but really, proper rotation = all the threat you need for heroics.

Gear:

Gems -Building on what Greg said - Gem to the socket if it's a defensive socket bonus. If it's prismatic or a DPS socket bonus then gem pure mastery.

Prismatic sockets can be filled by any color gem, puting a tear (+6 to all stats) in is really bad. Look to replace the gems in your relic and belt.

You reforged to hit. This is bad for 2 reasons:
A) You don't miss taunts/interrupts any more so there's no vital reason to have it; and
B) Expertise, until you have 26 expertise, gives you 2x the change to not miss/be dodge/be parried as hit (~120 expertise removes 1% dodge AND 1% parry versus 120 hit removes only 1% miss).
C) Also, you previously reforged expertise into other ratings. So reforging away from expertise into hit for tanking is bad.

If you spend some time working on the rotation, you'll have all the threat you need unless you're simply outgeared, so I'd suggest you avoid reforging into threat stats.

Replace Heart of Thunder as soon as you can. It's really not a very good trinket.

I'm not a pally, but isn't 100% damage increase to Crusader's Strike http://www.wowhead.com/spell=84636 worth more than 2 points in http://www.wowhead.com/spell=87461? I mean, I can see how they play in together (200% damage and 15% chance for higher crit for 2x damage) but it seems if you have to choose one or the other, Wrath > Rule?