PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Frost

PimpJuice4
04-28-2011, 07:37 PM
so is unholy pretty much dead now? dks are already pretty low on the dps side of things right now and im hearing frost dks are pulling like 20k dps(well,1 but he said he pulled 20k in the new heroics with pvp gear.he never gave his armory though)

just wondering because the last time i went frost i didnt really like it,but it seems like they pretty much made frost the only viable dps spec now since i know besides halfus im not currently seeing 20k dps right now(i know theres the damage buff in heroics).oh and i know according to stateofdps frost is like almost 500 dps ahead of unholy

Netheras
04-29-2011, 07:54 AM
500 dps is ... not terribly significant. Don't worry about it. I'm still beating people on Argaloth so that's enough for me.

Remember, don't get upset over what one person says and immediately get afraid and look for proof to suit a theory. Get a theory that matches the facts. 500 dps is about the difference between someone accidentally coughing during their rotation and someone that has allergy medication. If you don't like Frost, play Unholy. If you think you'll get a lot better dps with Frost even while hating it (because that's what your guild needs) then go ahead.

But don't make statements like "seems like they pretty much made frost the only viable dps spec now" because it can upset people that might not know you're exaggerating. 20k dps in the new dungeons is pretty easy actually, there are a lot of pulls that AoE can get pretty crazy if you hit a sweet spot. I've done 24 -26k on some packs. If you're talking bout dps on bosses of course, then I've done 19k without popping CDs... but I've only done Zul'Aman once so far, so maybe it'll vary (especially with group composition - don't forget that).

TL; DR - Calm down.

Meshuggah
04-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Both specs are still well done, so really it comes down to what will make the game more fun for you. Frost DK looks like a lot of fun if you've been playing unholy for a long time. A break in the cycle never hurts. :D

PimpJuice4
04-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Get a theory that matches the facts

http://stateofdps.com/index.php?data=patch_dps&raid=10N&samples=200&spec=dps

but i guess if 500 dps really isnt all that great then ill just stay unholy.cuz i did recently spec frost and tried out a heroic with it and i dont know,i think its the whole "hit this skill when this proc comes up.or your dps will suck" thing that i hated with frost before

and i know with unholy its not really like that.but i dont know,maybe frost isnt as good as i figured it was currently and unholy is still a good spec

Nerrectuz
05-01-2011, 03:23 AM
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormscale/nerrectuz/advanced

I play a Frost DK for DPS, and Blood for tanking. My tank gear isn't up to par yet, so I can't speak for how well Blood is for tanking, but Frost has received a slight increase in damage. I have noticed 14k average throughout boss fights, and I am not wearing any T11 gear. Average ilvl is 350, and I gem all Strength, hit is max'd, and I follow suit with Expertise as my secondary main stat to keep up. Other than that though having high haste helps with rune refresh and critical strike will give some nice burst damage.

Mind you, I'm not a theory crafter, just a player, so I go off what Recount shows me. With AoE damages, I have seen between 20-25k damage in Heroics, and without it, and some CD's being down with a Proc for my trinket, I am averaging 14-16k dps on bosses. With Raids it differs with composition. If you know your class, and know what your specing and gemming (which I thank Elitist for) you can really see a difference in your rotation and damage overall.

My main rotation for Frost DPS is: Pillar of Frost, Horn of Winter, Howling Blast, Obliterate, Frost Strike, Plague Strike (if doing AoE - followed by Pestilence), and Blood Strike when all my frost runes are down for a regen. Using my Trinket (Might of the Ocean) proc when I can, it increases Strength by 1425 for 15secs, 2 min cooldown. I still have 10 or so pieces that are BiS from heroics I can get, so I am not viably geared to give the best opinion. This is what works for me though. Hope it gives some clarity.

Felycitas
05-01-2011, 02:59 PM
My main rotation for Frost DPS is: Pillar of Frost, Horn of Winter, Howling Blast, Obliterate, Frost Strike, Plague Strike (if doing AoE - followed by Pestilence), and Blood Strike when all my frost runes are down for a regen.You should link Outbreak, Pillar of Frost, and Blood Tap since they share the same cooldown length.

I don't use Pillar of Frost as a standard rotation usually, but this is my opening boss macro...

Strength Potion
Trinket
Pillar of Frost
Blood Tap
Outbreak
(press macro again)
Ghoul

This sets me up for Obliterate, Obliterate, Obliterate, Empower Rune Weapon, Obliterate, Obliterate, Obliterate. Obviously you want to Frost Strike and Rime during this to really maximize DPS.

Also, Blood Strike should be removed from toolbars. Blood Striking can delay your next Obliterate.

Huckfealing
05-07-2011, 04:30 PM
http://stateofdps.com/index.php?data=patch_dps&raid=10N&samples=200&spec=dps

but i guess if 500 dps really isnt all that great then ill just stay unholy.cuz i did recently spec frost and tried out a heroic with it and i dont know,i think its the whole "hit this skill when this proc comes up.or your dps will suck" thing that i hated with frost before

and i know with unholy its not really like that.but i dont know,maybe frost isnt as good as i figured it was currently and unholy is still a good spec

State of Dps is not an Average. It is and average of the top players that rank. So not the greatest thing to use.

As for the OP, Frost (mathematically) is ahead of unholy, but that varies on different fights, sometimes the unmitigated damage that is the pet is really good. i.e. twilight council, when you have lightning conductor, its nice to still have your pet doing significant damage on the boss. But on fights where you mostly are meleeing the boss "Maloriak" then frost will pull ahead. (Not including aoe)