PDA

View Full Version : The Weekly Marmot - Patch 4.1 Survival Guide

Lore
04-26-2011, 12:26 PM
ai19e2-an28

Follow me on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/devolore) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/devolore)!

ShinryuDK
04-26-2011, 01:11 PM
For a hair cut

Therec
04-26-2011, 02:28 PM
I believe Blizzard didn't implement the conquest to valor change due to the time invested difference. The time it takes to run one dungeon is about the same time it takes to cap your conquest points for the week.

Revion
04-26-2011, 03:01 PM
think it has more to do with the fact that the ammount of rating you have determines how many conquest points you can get.
With a decent rating you'd be able to get more valour points from doing pvp than doing pve which would be kind of weird

Therec
04-26-2011, 05:20 PM
think it has more to do with the fact that the ammount of rating you have determines how many conquest points you can get.
With a decent rating you'd be able to get more valour points from doing pvp than doing pve which would be kind of weird

Yeah just read into the conquest point cap post from blizzard and i think you're right, even with 375 to 250 conversion rate, that's 2000 valor points for a 3k team, so it'd be unbalanced. The fact that the cap changes based on rating would also cause a lot of problems trying to make a set conversion.

Marcis
04-27-2011, 04:29 AM
I am a bit confused now:

So one can earn 980 VP per week. Fantastic.
Plus 90 more doing Argaloth 25man. Thus bringing up weekly VP earnings for casual raider (raiding 1x per week or even less) up to hefty 1070VP.
490 comes from "old" heroics so i have to run those 7 times using random. OK.
There are 7 heroics anyway...
other 490 come from "new" heroics, each of whom gives 140 VP right?
Thus 490/140=3.5
Erm?
There are only 2 "new" heroics, so i have to run them 4 times i take?
Or i am wrong? :confused:

Fetzie
04-27-2011, 04:42 AM
I'll have a go at explaining it.

You can get valor points from heroic dungeons. You can get a maximum of 980 valor points from doing so. The other 270 valor points to make up the cap need to come from raiding (argaloth, BWD, BoT, Tot4W).

If you do the seven weekly heroics in the new instances, you will be running ZG and ZA 7 times in total for 980 VP.

If you do 7 easy heroics (490 VP) you can make up to the 980 VP with a couple of ZG/ZA randoms.

Marcis
04-27-2011, 04:45 AM
Thanks a lot!
This was throwing me off all the time.
Has anyone tried new heroics already? How are they?

Therec
04-27-2011, 05:33 AM
Thanks a lot!
This was throwing me off all the time.
Has anyone tried new heroics already? How are they?

ZA's pretty easy. ZG is going to be a pug killer for a month or two. ZG isn't too bad once you get the boss mechanics down, but there's a lot of group coordination for each boss. I was more frustrated with constantly getting d/ced every time I reentered the instance, that and having the entire group disbanded when we all d/ced at the last boss.

I did do these heroics in all 359s with some 372 gear, so I will say that if everyone in the group has a 346 item level the dungeons are going to be frustrating beyond anything if you're trying to get 7 of them done for your VPs.

Saiyanman
04-27-2011, 05:55 AM
ZA's pretty easy. ZG is going to be a pug killer for a month or two. ZG isn't too bad once you get the boss mechanics down, but there's a lot of group coordination for each boss. I was more frustrated with constantly getting d/ced every time I reentered the instance, that and having the entire group disbanded when we all d/ced at the last boss.

I did do these heroics in all 359s with some 372 gear, so I will say that if everyone in the group has a 346 item level the dungeons are going to be frustrating beyond anything if you're trying to get 7 of them done for your VPs.

I'll second everything that you said here. Anecdotally based I got through ZA in a pug in a one shot. Actually, we might have wiped on trash once due to an over pull. In a separate LFG pug, ZG took about 4 hours and many, many drop groups and replaces. Expect to wipe 3-4 times on Venoxis, Zindal, the cat lady, and the last boss. We also had one tank who couldn't get out of the spikes on the archy boss.

I should note that I'm a 358 healer and was having a tough time keeping up with some of the incoming damage. Admittedly, I didn't keep good tabs on the gear of the tanks, but by the looks most everyone had full 346 with at least some epics.

Look at ZG as going back to cata heroics in December: use CC, know the fights, avoid damage.

I expected the new dungeons to be tough, but not quite as tough as ZG turned out. Like I said, I'm 358 so I don't have much use for valor badges other than filling out an off spec or for the 353 gear that drops. My thought was that ZG would be targetted as the "next tier" for people in mostly 346 gear, but I really don't see an LFG PUG clearing it without at least one or two players already in serious raid gear.

I am looking forward to trying it again with a guild group. I suspect that will go much more smoothly.

EDIT: Also, please don't take the above as QQ or anything like that. These may be Blizzard's best five man content yet and I really did enjoy my runs through them. But whereas it was possible to get some nice items out of TOC or ICC five mans in a LFG group of exclusively 200 ilvl gear, I don't think an analogous situation will be possible in the case of ZG. Maybe as the playerbase becomes more familiar with things that'll change, but we'll see.

Mwawka
04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
I ran ZG in a pug and ZA as a guild group. The pug went very well with me healing. We wiped once on the poison maze boss (sorry don't know the names) because people stood in stuff and once on the last boss, mainly because we took too long figuring out the shield breaking mechanic. There was also one wipe on trash due to a butt pull by the healer =). Overall tho, not too bad. We had one player who had actually researched the fights in the pug, so got a brief description of each fight before pulling. The group gear level was not much higher than 351 on average except for me in full 359's, cept I was wearing my boomkin set, which I guess isn't much different except for the trinkets.

ZA was with a guild group and I was DPS for that run. We didn't have any idea on the bosses other than what a couple of members remembered from their BC raiding days, so we went in pretty blind. All that said, we didn't wipe on any bosses, but we did have some issues with trash. We didn't have much for CC in the group with a warrior, DK and balance druid, so the tank damage was a little much for the healer at times. Overall, they seemed about the right difficulty level to me. Being raid geared, they didn't seem too hard to heal, but still require awareness and intelligent play.

Have fun!

Kemanorel
04-30-2011, 07:50 AM
I'll update with a screenshot later, but I saw, an authentic, no trolling, average dps solo queue time of 2 minutes when neither Call to Arms was in effect. For the ZA/ZG tier of course, but although I pressed my screenshot double-bind (blizzard UI & fraps also) no dice on the SS for now, sadly.

also, check out the tooltip/graphics representation of your valor earning for the week at the top of the Looking for Dungeon tool interface.

Notable but mentioned elsewhere than patch notes (back in the Ask the Developers series) Al'akir has random enchant cloaks, necks, and chance to drop helm and/or shoulder tier tokens.

Cridersis
05-09-2011, 03:25 AM
You can bring up the guildfinder by typing /guildfinder even if you are guilded :)