PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Pulls mixed with CC, often with low rage

Baggor
04-23-2011, 11:05 AM
I've been having a continuing problem which is really causing issues for groups. With the renewed requirement for CC during pulls, I'm having issues keeping the mobs together on the pull and spend a significant part of the fight trying to get them back. The typical scenario goes like this:

1. Mark CC targets, often more than one
2. First target is CC'd, which then causes the pull; more often than not the 2nd CC target doesn't get CC'd in time
3. I let the targets separate from the CC'd mob, charge my marked target and try various ways to pick up the group.

It's at this point that things start going bad. Quite often the targets are coming in at different times so if I do an AOE, like TC or SW, it doesn't hit them all. If I do a SS or Rend followed by a TC on the marked target the others blow right by me. If you add in the issue of many dps still doing AOE on packs of elites it just makes it worse. I've read every guide I can get my hands on, and they talked about different ways of tanking mobs. But most of them seem to depend on the tank doing the pull. For instance: Charge, SS, Rend, TC only works if the tank pulls. If CC pulls then you're not going to have the 2 GCDs to apply TC. If you SW first then that slows up the build up of Vengeance, which means it'll be easier for the dps to pull early in the fight. Starting with just a TC doesn't seem to provide enough aggro to hold the group together. I've quite often seem my off targets blow right by me heading for the first CC'er that pulled. I'm including a link to my character: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/tortheldrin/krixxen/simple

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bovinity
04-23-2011, 11:07 AM
I (almost) never let the CCers pull when I'm tanking instances. At best, I'll let them start casting a CC, then engage right before the CC fires, but letting the CCer actually do the pulling means that every mob is going to target them every single time and just make your job that much harder.

Baggor
04-23-2011, 11:12 AM
That's a great piece of advice! I just had a "DUH" moment. lol

Texan81
04-23-2011, 12:57 PM
I just about always let cc pull but I have berserk and commanding shout macroed toghether so when they cc pull I I hit my macro which gives me enough rage to play with then heroic throw and then thunder clap when then all get in range seems to work for me alot of times I will also throw in a shockwave on one side or another of the thunder clap sometimes depends on how the group looks as it is running at us

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Loganisis
04-23-2011, 09:30 PM
When possible, I try to get them to CC range adds, who won't move anyway. But wait until I start the pull. Picking targets for CC is pretty key.

Martie
04-23-2011, 09:35 PM
I recently did some heroics after being away from WoW for a few months.
To my surprise, CC wasn't used, at all. Was that a fluke, or has the whole "let's CC" thing passed?

Loganisis
04-23-2011, 09:37 PM
It's more or less reached the point being overgeared. When tanking I still mark for some of the more complex pulls and mark kill order because it makes things smoother, but I would say in the majority of runs, it's reached the 'why bother' stage.

Rigwarl
04-25-2011, 01:45 PM
I agree with CC selection being key. CC ranged and caster adds first... with Charge, Heroic throw, Thunderclap, Heroic leap and Taunt at your disposal there shouldn't really be an issue. If they are spread out, let one pass you a little heading towards the ranged, then Thunderclap, should catch him before he gets far, and get the next one in line coming at you. Especially if you have Glyph of Thunderclap. Don't forget to cleave if one is passing by you and everything else is on CD/GCD.