PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Getting back to tanking

bjones0024
04-21-2011, 10:39 PM
I used to tank in BC, and some in Wraith on a warrior, I'm looking to get back into it, just wondering out of my three options, warrior, DK, Druid which will be the easiest and or best choice for both heroics and raids, thanks.

Loganisis
04-21-2011, 11:58 PM
The easiest and best will be the one you are the best at. All tanks are viable. Each one has different jobs in different fights. Warriors tend more toward add tanking because they have a block mechanic. DKs tends to be used as kiters because of Howling Blast. All three are used as main tanks.

Which one do you enjoy the most?

Uranos7
04-22-2011, 05:44 AM
DK Tanks don't have Howling blast anymore; that is a frost dps talent.
I have the same 3.
Bear is the most fun but hardest to gear. ( and initial aggro can be tuff at time depending on group make-up)
I find DK slightly easier to hold aggro, but will take more damage at the beginning of the fight till blood shield builds up.
Warr better at damage Mitigation than DK but has similar (but not as bad) initial aggro issues.

So he is correct that all are about equal, and hopefully giving you the Plusses and Minuses of each will help you decide which to gear 1st.
There is no wrong choice.

bjones0024
04-22-2011, 07:19 AM
I've wanted to bear tank for a while, but I kinda had more fun on the DK. My DK is 85 a gearedish, where the druid is only 83. I think I just mostly felt that druids lack cooldowns.

thanks again

Uranos7
04-28-2011, 06:31 AM
Lack Cooldowns?
Barkskin, Survival Instincts, and frezied regeneration they have as many as DK's do and they work better than the DK ones lol.
Then if you need more you can carry Potion of Tolvir / eathshield potions.
They also have self healing on a crit if talented.

sifuedition
04-28-2011, 10:59 AM
You obviously don't know how many dks have.

Blood tap
Icebound fort
Bone shield
Vampiric blood
Ghoul sac
Dancing rune weap
Lichbourne based on spec

P.S. Stupid iPhone auto-correct. =(

Pps. Also, dks self heal on demand instead of rng crits.

I still prefer my shield tanks.

Insahnity
04-28-2011, 03:25 PM
I'd agree, in the context of somebody who is new or hasn't tanked in a while, having a shield is huge. I would recommend a DK or a bear only to somebody who is already and experienced tank. I've shelved my bear for a while because until 4.1 survival was a P.I.T.A. but with the much needed changes to SD it should be a bit smoother.

Go with the warrior, but consider the DK/Bear as a second spec after the warrior.

haojilexiaobai
05-01-2011, 01:55 AM
being im looking for a similar answer, i figured i should post here, i raided alot in bc and wrath (which to most people would mark me as a bad player) anywho, i have all four tank classes currently sitting at lvl 80 with icc gear, im looking for an insight into which would be 'best' to play with all the changes since i last played (they had jsut implemented the new talents etc before i quit) i know that people say there is no 'best' but an idea of which tanks do well at the moment or which tanks are more preferred in groups would be helpful, i personally preferred playing my warrior tank in the order of Warrior>Pally>Druid>Dk so if i was to make the decision soley on that then it would obviously be warrior, but because i have already played all four of them alot i figured i would go with something people generally prefer to see in a dungeon/raid. So with all that said can anyone help me make my decision...?

sifuedition
05-02-2011, 03:51 PM
What I have seen so far is promising. I have seen much less tank preferential treatment (pugs, etc) than ever before. I also feel it's warranted. I feel the balance is great. They still have minor niches.

Adds - Maloriak a shield tank is best on adds but it's not a requirement ala Anub. Anyone can be on the boss.

All of them require more skill than before. All rely on priorities rather than rotations, especially since the Grand Crusader change. DK may have the highest learning curve due to resource and heal management. Bears have to learn the AoE "rotation" but I have seen some do it Very well.

In the end, dks probably make healers sweat more unless they are above average. Bears are easy except for collecting the gear and a general lack of info to assist with gearing, reforging etc. Shield tanks are shield tanks but pallys are not as faceroll as before.

TL;DR
Play the one you like the most. It makes less difference than ever.

Uranos7
05-02-2011, 05:03 PM
If your looking for info on Bear tanking there is a Thread on the WOW forums called "Ah! Bears! Cataclysym Tanking".
It has all the info (updated for 4.1) Gear list, Gemming theory, Reforging, and ETC.

But like others have said there is not really a "Best Tank" anymore other than the one you like the most.