PDA

View Full Version : BFF Report - Portal 2

fony
04-21-2011, 07:36 AM
hMZwgrWeNwA

Click here for more episodes of the BFF Report! (http://www.zam.com/bffreport)
Follow Zam (http://twitter.com/zamofficial) and me (http://twitter.com/akamikeb) on Twitter!

Kazeyonoma
04-21-2011, 04:20 PM
lol@ calling Draknorr bad at games. hrm, wondering if it's worth it to buy it.... hrm....

Lore
04-21-2011, 10:05 PM
frozen pizzas AND hot pockets, thank you very much

I could live off of $30 if it was just frozen pizzas

Pers3us
04-21-2011, 10:44 PM
lol@ calling Draknorr bad at games. hrm, wondering if it's worth it to buy it.... hrm....

Yes it is. I think even just the co-op was worth it, because they can set up some crazy stuff when you have two people with a set of two portals each. When your partner's life is in your hands... it makes it even better. "Oh sorry, man, hit the wrong portal and now your light bridge is gone! LOL" Totally an accident...

I'm only on chapter 7 in the single player, but that's pretty fun as well.

Also,

frozen pizzas AND hot pockets, thank you very much

I could live off of $30 if it was just frozen pizzas

No Ramen Noodles?

swills
04-22-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't really understand the complaint about the price. The SP campaign took me about 6 hours total, and while I didn't blast through it I also don't feel like I was espcially slow. That's about $8 an hour even without the co-op which I have yet to touch. That doesn't seem excessive to me really.

The DLC stuff was also pure vanity stuff and not remotely necessary. If you don't buy it, you aren't missing out on even a second of gameplay.

Passive
04-22-2011, 02:14 PM
I think its worth the price more than the monthly sub is to warcraft to be honest! And really, what game isn't pretty short these days? I completed Crysis 2 faster than the Portal 2 single player and noone complained about Crysis 2 being short.

I also feel that a longer game could have perhaps been detrimental to the quality of level design and the sheer genius that is the character and plot development. The game is just the right length and if you enjoyed the first one, then you will probably enjoy this one even more.

Meshuggah
04-22-2011, 02:21 PM
The complexity of this game is amazing. It's well worth the money. Now if they would just quit stalling on Half Life 3, I would really be happy.

Zeppelin535
04-22-2011, 04:44 PM
I think its worth the price more than the monthly sub is to warcraft to be honest! And really, what game isn't pretty short these days? I completed Crysis 2 faster than the Portal 2 single player and noone complained about Crysis 2 being short.

Crysis 2 has a ton of great replay value in online multiplayer. Portal 2 does not, the only real replay value is in player created maps how/whenever those will turn up.

Regardless, the game is well worth the $50 based on my single player experience alone, still looking for someone to play through the co-op with. What it lacks in length it by far makes up in pure awesome.

Skwish
04-23-2011, 10:19 AM
I think Portal 2 is well worth the money. The co0op alone is worth it, imo.

That being said, I was a little disappointed in the game length. I realize it was more than 4 hours, though. My first time through single player took me about 4.5-5 hours. My first time through co-op took about the same amount of time. So, $50 for 8-10 hours of entertainment is worth it to me. I even played through co-op a second time with another friend, and while that took less time, was still fun. I probably have about 20 hours into Portal 2, and will play it even more (especially when the custom content starts to come out).

But, the reason I am disappointed in the length isn't because I feel it's short. I feel I was misled. I'll have to do some searching around on Youtube, but there was an interviw with one of the Valve developers who specifically stated "The single player and the co-op campaign is twice as long as the original." They even made the same statement during a live event for GameSpot. I suppose if you were to go through and methodically get every single achievement, the single player may be close to twice as long as the original. But co-op is nowhere near twice as long as the single player, even with achievements. It's not that I feel the game is short, by any means, because it has great replayability with friends. But, I feel that Valve didn't have to be sneaky about the length during their marketing campaign.

But, that's all fine and dandy. The game is great, but I can see why some people are complaining about the length, just because of the statements Valve made leading up to the release.

Passive
04-24-2011, 03:09 AM
If they're saying that Portal 2 is twice as long as Portal then it definitely is. Portal took 45 minutes to complete once you knew roughly how to do each level. You'd never get through Portal 2 that quickly.

Maybe its because we're posting on a World of Warcraft related board, that we're spoiled for content and as such feel underwhelmed by the length of the game. I do think that Portal 2 would be great if they really kept up with DLC in terms of content. What I'd also absolutely love to see is something to tie it more into the Half Life 2 world, such as levels where you had to use what you'd learned in Portal 2 to get past enemies from the Half Life 2 world. Either that or I'd like to see a Black Mesa version!

Skwish
04-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Well, 2 things.

1) I don't play WoW anymore. :) Haven't played in about 4 months. Got sick of it long ago. Even if I did, I don't feel I'd be "spoiled for content" anymore. It's recycled content (at least for those of us around to see the previous stuff) and pressing buttons in the same order, for 4-6 hours per night.

2) 45 minutes? Even Valve admits it's a 4 hour game. 45 minutes would be a speed run that most people don't try for. We're not comparing speed runs honed over 5+ years of gameplay, to first runs are we?

Lakshata
04-26-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm just waiting for it to go on sale during Summer Steam Sales.

Kazeyonoma
04-26-2011, 11:21 AM
or until it's free like portal 1. haha, but yeah, i'll wait for a sale, i loved portal 1, but am glad i didn't pay retail for it.