PDA

View Full Version : Warrior parry, dodge, mastery. oh my!

Exander
04-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Ok so I have done trash in bot. The other tank and I have different stat priority. I am the mastery neophyte and he is of the stamina school. After the run I asked the healer how was healing on me and on him. I was told about the same. So I says to myself, "Self what's going on here?" So I dogged a little deeper. But I have no true conclusions to come to. So I pose the following questions.

I know parry and dodge should be close to each other. I also know the magic number is 72% combined parry/dodge/block. How much parry and dodge starts to become too much.

I know the more mastery the better. How much should I aim for when reforging? I know I should reforge some dodge and parry. I want figure out how much shpuld be done for the sake of mastery.

Thanks for your input.

In case you need it. My character. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/uldum/rednaxe/advanced

Loganisis
04-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Exander - trash is a bad place to go to look for 'how hard am I to heal'.

A lot of that has to do with how you use CDs as well... A pure mastery tank versus a pure stam tank may be harder to heal if they don't use CDs as effectively as the stam tank.

It could also be gear level - if he's stam and higher gear level, he may have an equivlaent amount of mastery/dodge/parry as you, he just doesn't have more.

There are so many variations in fight/gear etc, and basically pure RNG in a short fight, that things may not be as apparent. I'm assuming you also had a lot of CC, so the fight was one mob at a time or so?

Basically, WarTank gearing in a nutshell - WarTanks can't reach 97.4% dodge/parry/block, which with the 5% boss miss rate = 102.4% or unhittable/blocked capped... so:

Mastery has no diminishing returns, get as much of it as you can (this changes slightly for hard mode raiding)
Parry should be ~2 or 3% higher than dodge at ~346 iLVL (at least that's what I recall from the discussions when 346ish was 'normal') - but closer to 4-5% at 359+ (which is what hardmode tanks seem to favor now) to account for the larger amount of mastery you're gaining.

To really get a feel for damage intake, you need a common boss, right now the only one I can think of is the Baradin's Hold boss where it's a true taunt-swap. But it needs to be a raid boss - and honestly, great CD usage versus average CD usage can cloud things as well... as can RNG luck since you have fairly low uptime on that boss.

MellvarTank
04-20-2011, 01:33 PM
If you are both block capped via shield wall then you wouldn't really notice either. As it stands I can block cap in my threat set (which has 26 expertise and 7% hit), the only difference is the amount of HP I have which doesn't matter on trash as they really don't hit that hard.

Bottom line, if you focus too much on any one stat then you are doing it wrong.

Insahnity
04-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Stamina would tend to affect warriors more if they specced into blood craze. A higher pool would mean more self-healing on that, but I would question the sanity of any tank that relied solely on a Blood Craze to survive through tanking.

Exander
04-20-2011, 03:22 PM
He and I are near same iLevel. His block is way less than mine. His parry is up there. I can say he taunts and I pull off of him with normal priority casts like devastate and shield slam.

Well then look over my stats and tell me what needs to be reforged (if any) into mastery. I am sure I don't have enough.