Lore
04-20-2011, 11:04 AM
On today's LEGENDARY:

Achievements Q&A
PVE Balance vs PVP Balance
The FBI Raids Gold Farmers
And more!

hq8%2BgrWMZwA

Legendary on Gamebreaker.tv (http://www.gamebreaker.tv/category/legendary/?utm_source=Tankspot&utm_medium=News_Site&utm_term=GBTV&utm_content=Episode22&utm_campaign=Legendary) | Follow Gamebreaker on Twitter (http://twitter.com/gamebreakertv)

worgick
04-21-2011, 05:29 AM
I agree that achievements should be awarded for things like surviving a fall, or bounces on the trampoline, or other zany things you can do. Heck an achievement like "Glitch King" remember that clipping fault in storm wind by the bank, where you could eventually climb way up and get an ariel screen shoot of yourself standing on air?

Just a recognition that, yes there are zany things you can do and easter eggs to be found..............

The mounts and pets are cool, it gives people a goal that they can pursue by themselves aside from doing the dungeon, and raid min/ max games..........

worgick
04-21-2011, 06:52 AM
Economy. Do something like giving a toon starting gold. X toons= X Gp. Admitted as toons players quit, you will get some extra gold, but that can be adjusted. Put a gold cap on toons- spend it within x time or be capped. Then encrypt the finance transactions. That make it hard for the gold farmers to get gold, the only income you can get is thru the auction house which is encrypted, and if you pull too much gold out of the economy- they can ID you and verify legit player status- or otherwise.

Linalia
04-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Regarding the Incubus, that's actually been quite an issue for several of the people that I have played with. Especially for some of the female players in my guilds. At one time, several years ago now, some had even gone so far as to gather hundreds of signatures into an email petition to Blizzard on the subject.

feralminded
04-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Some of us have hundreds of thousands of gold and have never bought any with $$$, we simply worked hard and smart for it. Any artificial attempt to curb gold-farming (a practice that I honestly couldn't care less about) that would modify the economy would definitely impact me and my non-gold-buying experience. Gold farming/buying is the pot of wow ... highly demonized and overblown for no good reason. I am FAR more concerned with account/identity theft as recently a member of my guild got his character stolen and he will NEVER get it back because the person who bought it was better able to prove the character was actually his than my guild-mate. That scares me FAR more than some mook dropping $50 to buy a purple that will be useless in 6 months. He won't appreciate/value the purple anywhere near as much as someone who actually worked for it and in the end, subjectively, that's all that matters to me.

Aaronhil
04-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Back when I played Ultima Online there was a time when the mobs stopped dropping any gold. Apparently, there was X amount of gold in the game, and when it was all being held by players, there was no more for the mobs to drop. They fixed it shortly afterwards, but it was a strange time indeed.

DraventheMad
04-22-2011, 05:38 AM
First Gold farming is actually a real paying job in some countries makes i think like 10 to 20 % actual revenue. So as long as people want items and wont farm i.e. the mats or farm trash for gold. We are going to have Farmers who are getting paid real money to give the lazy asses or sry the career(affluent) player what they need. I'm one of those that wake up and make sure i know off at least 6 dailys just to make sure i have gold for repairs. I will never give someone my real money for fake its just too retarded. Also Blizz could actually set price limits on items in demand to sort of balance the Economy, just a random thought will never happen. Achievements i love i myself am 145 away from my 9000. I did this almost by myself. Raid ones required being in a raid. I felt slighted when i got my immortal and recieved nothing but the title. I also feel mounts should not be removed unless related to a huge event AQ40 example. Mind you i have the hammer but cant ring the gong lol. I serve in the Military and when deployed am gone min one to 2 months usualy six or more. So i lost my chance at my ZG cat or Raptor. I love the cat mount farmed the place for like 2 yrs and nothing. Came back thinking i would have one more week and bam Cata lol. I was upset but what can the player do. What i would like Blizz to do is fix the bloody phasing issues so people like myself can finish certain zones. The NPC has disappeared and many players cant move forward. So in a nut shell as long as people can get fake gold for from plastic its going to happen. People need to get off their butts and farm not wait in the AH for it to drop in the blue scoop it all and resell at a profit(done that once lol). We as players always seem to want the easiest way to achieve any of our goals. I know alot of what im saying will have people up in arms but its my thoughts on this matter. I was hacked once myself to this day cant figure out how it was done but i digress. Well good journey and may all your endevors in real life be successful.

Legendary on Gamebreaker.tv (http://www.gamebreaker.tv/category/legendary/?utm_source=Tankspot&utm_medium=News_Site&utm_term=GBTV&utm_content=Episode22&utm_campaign=Legendary) | Follow Gamebreaker on Twitter (http://twitter.com/gamebreakertv)[/QUOTE]

brooks
04-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Economy:
I've never heard of an MMORPG actually selling gold to their players. However, I have seen some interesting economical situations. We have learned a lot from Ultima Online, and UO's Siege Perilous server had probably the most interesting economy.

Whereas most servers allowed players to farm and then sell raw materials to vendors (ore, cloth, etc), the vendors on SP would not buy anything. Additionally, gold drops were dramatically reduced. There were several more features that served to individuate Siege's mechanics from other servers, many of them being aimed at making the game more challenging. A secondary (and perhaps intended) effect that these differences had was to create the closest thing to a "player run economy" that had existed at the time. This also meant that players had to interact with each other to trade items for gold. Ultimately, SP had the same inflation problems as any other MMO server has, UO or otherwise.

In the end, it is my opinion that there is no perfect solution to the long-term economy issues that we seen in contemporary MMORPGs (we can't get it right IRL, either). The preferred method at this point seems to be gold sinks which work on players' investment in their characters, which is ultimately based on the assumption that 100% of characters have sentimental value to their account's owners (which is obviously a flawed assumption). At this point in MMO design, it seems like many MMOs are stuck with a finite lifespan which is largely delimited by the sustainability of a non-optimal economy.

Achievements:
As far as PvP achievements are concerned, I'd like to point out that achievements exist to appease a segment of the population which is categorically segregated from the PvP population. Bartle's "Players who Suit MUDs" (http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm) attends to this issue in detail.

Best Regards,
Eric Brooks