PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Seeking Validation- Prot Warrior class change

NikoaCC
04-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Hello, all!

I recently made a switch to tanking after falling out of love with my long time main, a hunter.

I feel like I have a fairly good grasp of the stat weights, ability priorities, and such, but like many before me, I'm interested in the thoughts and opinions of my brethren.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/cenarion-circle/nikoa/simple

Being a recent class switch, I'm still hammering away at rep and grinding heroics for gear, and JP/VP. I've been tanking BH, and just started tanking for a 10s this past week.

What do you all see as the most glaring weaknesses/omitions thus far? I'm pondering my first VP purchase, which I was leaning towards gloves but am open to suggestion.

Thanks in advance!

Loganisis
04-20-2011, 10:24 AM
After 4.1, not much is going to be OP/underpowered for WarTanks.

1. Do you really need PH - is it your job in the raid? If not, I'd drop it and bloodcraze - but if you are the add tank and need to kite, it's all good. If you do drop it, Deep wounds for threat.

2. 1 point in gag order is useless. It's pure 50/50 RNG at that point. Either take it out (my preference) or put 2/2 in it. Personally, I'd take it out and take the 2 points out of thunderstruck and put them in Incite, but it's really a personal preference thing.

3. It looks like you're too far into Parry rating and the DR are likely eating up any HtL benefits, on average. Where you've refoged dodge -> parry I'd unforge it. At your current mastery level keeping them 2/3% would probably be better, going up to 4/5% as you keep adding mastery.

3a. Legs --- Parry -> Mastery, not dodge, you get more mastery that way.
3b. Throng's Finger --- Reforge Parry -> Mastery
3c. Shoulders --- Reforge Dodge, not hit, into Mastery (you'll gain a noticeable bit more)
3d. Not huge, but I'd throw a mastery gem in the ebonsteel beltbuckle instead of a stam gem at your progression level.

4. You said you're grinding out - so I'm assuming you'll grab the rep epics when you get them :D

Gregasaurous
04-20-2011, 10:30 AM
I have a few suggestion for you, but I'll start with what you're doing right. Your glyphs look excellent, as do your reforge choices. Now for some pointers, some of these are personal preferance, but just so you get another opinion. Oh, and forgive the terrible spelling.

You have a pure stam gem in your belt. It's the only one you have so I'm kinda thinking it's not all that necessary and could be much better utalized as a green gem (if you want the socket bonus, not all socket bonus's are worth geming for).

Your talent treee: i see you have points spent in fury so you can have Piercing howl. My suggestion would be to lose Howl and Blood Craze. Healers heal you, that's their job, they shouldn't (in most cases) need help doing so, making Blood Craze a safety blanket. I would suggest you put those talents into War Acadamy and then Deep Wounds. From waht i've heard and from expieriance, Deep Wounds is great for helping keep aggro, and it increases your damage output which is never bad either.

You have Mending on your weapon.... as i said earlier, that's a safety blanket that you shouldn't need. The rest of your enchants are good.

As to your Gear, i would really focus on nocking off those last 3 pesky IL333 items. This means que for specific heroics. Ex: Grim Batol for the heroic Throngus's Finger (took me less than a week of farming). Now as to the Valor peice, what i did (because i was having trouble nocking out a 333 ring mostly) was get the vlaor ring. It's a good item, though it may not improve your stats as drasticly.

One last thing, i'm sure you're aware, but your mastery needs to go up a bit, na dyour parry is more than hihg enough.

NikoaCC
04-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the initial replies. PH is there because of add kiting. At least, I did a bit of it this past week on Meloriak. Not sure it's 100% necessary with our hunter providing frost traps, but it made me less dependent on it.

Loganisis
04-20-2011, 10:59 AM
DO NOT get the valor ring first. That is not smart. Rings have a smaller item budget than other pieces, so even a 333-359 upgrades would give less than upgrading say gloves or legs. Don't worry about item level as much as looking at pure upgrade value.

PH may be there for a reason - just saying he should drop it without more information on why may not be accurate. I would agree with you that DW rather than PH is better, unless there's a specific reason for it.

As for Mending... What else would you put on it? Avalanche for a 100 DPS increase (no)? Weapon Chain for extra aggro that isn't needed (maybe)? Weapon enchants are meh unless you can get Windwalk, so it's really pick the one you feel most comfortable with.

The one last thing and the things he's doing right comments contradict. Reforging options can't look good if Parry is too high. Not a major thing, but doesn't logically follow.

Veldine
04-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Since you're revered with Ramkahen, I'd get the ring. It's pretty sweet for tanking just for the sheer amount of mastery on it. I think it has the most mastery of any ring in game.

klausi
04-21-2011, 07:11 AM
in general:

weakness:
- you're a rage based class and need to be hit quite hard to maximise your tps via heroic strike spam.
- no passiv debuff coverage, you'll waste a lot of globals to reduce the incoming damage
- snap aggro, heroic throw is all you got to use on range

advantages:
- 2 minutes cd on shieldwall, 1 minute less then every other tanking class (tough 10% less damage reduction in exchange)
- a combined anti magic/physical damage reduction ability with 30s cd in 4.1 is pretty neat
- a mediocre raid cooldown with 4.1
- excellent aoe threat/dps/control, especially on two tank fights when taunt w/o cooldown (Vigilance) is so strong
- a block tank, your incoming damage is steady and reliable
- mobility, no class can beat you on this. You can do some nifty tricks with heroic leap to make your raid's life easier.

specific:
- reduce your parry by 1% to smooth out HtL uptime vs DR balance
- mending is a pretty good enchant especially on aoe fights with cleave proccing it nonstop
- for VP i'd go with panties, you only got the 333 version and haven't downed Atramedes yet
- specc: Incite is pretty important for single target tps, other posters already mentioned the disadvantages of PH

NikoaCC
04-22-2011, 07:38 AM
I wanted to thank those that have replied. I've put a couple changes in to place with respect to reforging, and will be adjusting my talents a bit tonight. I've had the good fortune to be able to grab the trinket off of Magmaw, and am hammering away at Baradin rep for the trinket there as well.

Is it worth purchasing Hurricane trinket over my non heroic trinket options as a stopgap in the meantime? I'll continue queuing to try and get Heroic Throngus' Finger but have had no luck thus far.

Loganisis
04-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Is it worth purchasing Hurricane trinket over my non heroic trinket options as a stopgap in the meantime? I'll continue queuing to try and get Heroic Throngus' Finger but have had no luck thus far.

Can you get it cheap (whatever cheap is to you, which will vary depending on your gold)? I think you mean Earthquake, not Hurricane, right? http://www.wowhead.com/item=62048

Even then, it's pretty meh. 321 dodge is going to be your weakest tanking stat (though some of it can be reforged into mastery) and the on-use, 11k temp HP isn't great. I think you're good with the trinket you have over it. More static mastery and a fairly useful on use. I'd suggest working toward exalted with Baradin's Wardens and get the 125 commendations for Broken Mirror. Along the way, you'll also make some 3k-ish gold from the dailies :D

NikoaCC
04-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Sorry, definitely meant Earthquake. I'll probably just continue to hammer my dailies for BH rep.