PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Colossus Smash with Regards to Rend [Arms]

Lieuluke
04-18-2011, 06:44 PM
As an arms warrior, rend is a very important component of my rotation. However, since the cataclysm change to Sudden Death, i find myself in a bit of predicament. Oftentimes I find myself getting a Sudden Death proc as my rend has only 3 or 4 seconds left on its duration. Since i don't want to waste any part of the 5 second Colossus Smash debuff, I have been reapplying rend before it falls off so that i don't waste a gcd during Colossus Smash. Is this the correct thing to do? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Tengenstein
04-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Are 2 ticks of rend worth more or less than the damage or a MS/OP/SLAM/EXE gains during a CS? I'm MS prot but my OS is arms so i'll try and help. Going off Wartotems spread sheet a fully sundered (12% armour reduction) boss will still have 17.42% reduction against physical attacks. So you gain approximatley 21% damage to your attacks with CS up on your target, so as long as 2 rend ticks is less than 21% of damage you'd gain by not rending during a CS it's a DPS gain to clip rend and refresh.

I myself take BnT, mainly becuase its a nice little AoE boost for things like Maloriak, so since TC hits for a luttle bit more tha a rend tick and both have the same Crit rate it's a striaght DPS increase to refresh a Rend with <3secs using TC. I spent 5 mins pounding on boss dummy in Org without putting CS up and here are my 4am knapkin numbers.

MS - 13.6k
OP - 14.4k
Slam - 12k
Rend Tick - 2k

So assuming we clipped rend by 2 ticks so we could squeeze a slam in, my lowest damage per GCD, we lose 4k for those 2 rend ticks to gain 2.5k extra damage from slam. A net loss of 1.5K. If we'd have been able to only clip rend by one tick we'd have gained 0.5k damage.

If we clipped rend by 2 ticks so we could squeeze an Overpower, my highest damage per GCD, we lose 4k for those 2 rend ticks to gain just over 3k extra damage from OP, a net loss of just under 1K. If we'd have been able to only clip rend by one tick we'd have gained just over 1k damage.

So if we clip Rend with less <3secs duration, it is better than a fresh application during a CS. otherwise it aint. My TC hits for 2.4k damage, so Essentially buys aniother Ticks worth of leeway. so a rend <6secs left refreshed with TC is worth doing if it avoids you refreshing a rend during a CS. However since raid DPS>personal DPS its prolly not worth letting the 4% physical damage debuff fall off at anythime.

Lieuluke
04-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks for running the numbers and providing some insight on that Tengenstein, thanks for the help!

Tengenstein
04-19-2011, 12:03 AM
However they are MY numbers, there's no guarantee they'll be accurate for anyone else.

marklar
04-19-2011, 12:35 PM
the thing is, if you refresh rend with < 3s left it adds the remaining time to the new duration, so you actually lose nothing. so yes, refresh rend before hitting CS.

Lieuluke
04-20-2011, 02:33 PM
the thing is, if you refresh rend with < 3s left it adds the remaining time to the new duration, so you actually lose nothing...

:eek: How long has this been around?

klausi
04-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Since mid/late Wrath when they changed how haste works in general.