PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Prot War: Fleet Shadowspirit Diamond worth considering?

Roshengar
04-17-2011, 10:44 PM
I was just reading the arguments between Eternal & Austere meta gems that pre-dated the newest meta gem releases- and how it balances out ~somewhat~ evenly

Was wondering if anyone had considered crunching the numbers for using as a warrior tank:
Meta- Fleet Shadowspirit Diamond +54 Mastery, Run Speed
http://www.wowhead.com/item=52289
Boots- Enchant Boots - Mastery +50 Mastery
http://www.wowhead.com/item=52771

In place of either Eternal/Austere meta + Earthwalker's on boots
(I value the movement speed buff highly & would not consider it replaceable)

Essentially gain 104 Mastery vs (81+30) 111 Stamina & either 1% SBV/2% Armour.

My experience thus far dictates that mastery really is King for prot wars- far more valuable than the lost Stamina.

Anyone agree/disagree? I'm not really competent enough to start throwing maths around.

klausi
04-18-2011, 05:10 AM
The essential part is the 1% SBV respectively 2% armor increase, the stamina is only a neat bonus.

And Lava Walker (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=74253/enchant-boots-lavawalker) is only 1 Maelstrom Crystal, reducing the gain in mastery even further.

Loganisis
04-18-2011, 06:38 AM
1% SBV = ~ 120 mastery (179ish mastery = 1.5% block), correct? Or is SBV turning a 30% block into a 31% block?

Katzazi
04-18-2011, 06:57 AM
30% into 31%.

MellvarTank
04-18-2011, 08:13 AM
The stam and either armor or SBV are better. Stamina is still a valuable stat, and moreso in hardmodes.

Reev
04-18-2011, 08:44 AM
I take the mastery enchant on boots anyway. Run speed just isn't as important to a warrior tank to begin with.

Roshengar
04-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone :)

kopcap
04-19-2011, 06:05 AM
Run speed just isn't as important to a warrior tank to begin with.Huh? You kited adds on nef and maloriak, right?

Out of all the fights out there, I think Halfus and Chim are the only fights where its not important. Even on Halfus there are fireballs.

Reev
04-19-2011, 06:08 AM
Huh? You kited adds on nef and maloriak, right?

Out of all the fights out there, I think Halfus and Chim are the only fights where its not important.

Haven't done nef. For Maloriak, stuns, heroic leap, intervene and my priests psychic screaming have been more than sufficient. Don't get me wrong. It's nice to have, but I don't think it's worth giving up the mastery enchant to get when prot warriors already have the best mobility in the game built into their spec.

kopcap
04-19-2011, 06:19 AM
It does not matter how much mobility you have, nothing beats raw speed when your dealing with moving out of environmental damage or kiting things. I know I would give up a whole lot more than 15 mastery for 8% speed.

Fetzie
04-19-2011, 06:34 AM
Why not get the 30 mastery/8% runspeed boot enchant (mentioned earlier) and the 81 stam + 1% SBV or 2% armor meta?

Aggathon
04-19-2011, 07:03 AM
It does not matter how much mobility you have, nothing beats raw speed when your dealing with moving out of environmental damage or kiting things. I know I would give up a whole lot more than 15 mastery for 8% speed.

I have to agree with this completely reev. When there's a mastery + runspeed boot enchant. I think the speed increase far outweighs the minuscule mastery gain from the raw mastery enchant.

feralminded
04-22-2011, 07:35 AM
It does not matter how much mobility you have, nothing beats raw speed when your dealing with moving out of environmental damage or kiting things. I know I would give up a whole lot more than 15 mastery for 8% speed. This x100. Raw speed is one of the best things any class can ever get, be it tank, dps, or healer. As previously mentioned Nef and Maloriak (specially HM Maloriak) they are invaluable but have plenty of value elsewhere (Add tanking on Cho'gal comes to mind, and Council as well as tons of other places). Speed is invaluable.

Reev
04-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Meh, I'll consider myself shouted down.