PDA

View Full Version : Druid Single Target Tanking Rotation

jere
04-16-2011, 01:11 PM
I've actually been having trouble with threat on my druid in single target. I definitely seen a lot less threat than I do on my other tanks (pally and warrior). I think it has something to do with my rotation:

Mangle > Pulverize (if expiring) > Lacerate

I make sure to get up Demo Roar and Faerie Fire off the bat and maintain them if they are about to fall off. I am using Maul whenever I have about 65+ rage as well.

I am wondering if maybe I should be using Faerie Fire on cooldown, but in the back of my head I thought I remembered Faerie Fire being inferior to Lacerate threat at one point (I could be smoking something though).

I's there something else I should be doing?

Edit: As a side note, I do tend to try to gem with hybrids (stamina + agility), should I just being go full agility gems where possible?

Chakka
04-17-2011, 11:46 PM
If mangle is on cd, 3 stacks of lacerate and time left on the pulverize buff then throw in a thrash. Even on single target. Just dont delay a mangle or pulverize to do it.

jere
04-20-2011, 02:01 PM
So I played with Thrash in the rotation (only if Mangle was on CD, pulv buff was up, and 3 stacks of lacerate). It didn't seem to change my threat much. Some individual testing showed that the entirety of Thrash damage wasn't doing much more threat than hitting lacerate (with 3 stacks already up) minus vengeance. Thrash scales better than Lacerate, so I could see it doing better with Vengeance, but (at least last night in BoT) my vengeance wasn't getting very high on bosses.

I guess I try to get rid of some avoidance to boost my vengeance stacks, but that seems counter intuitive. It just get's frustrating seeing my TPS be anywhere between 12k and 25k depending on how many crits I get (and usually on the lower end 12-18k). Everything I read says if you just do Mangle every time it is up, Pulverize when the buff is about to expire and you have 3 stacks, and mash lacerate otherwise, then you should be doing better threat than most dps. But it doesn't seem to be working for me.

klausi
04-21-2011, 12:29 AM
Do you know how high your maul damage portion is? It's quite a significant part of your overall tps and should be around 15-25% compete only with Mangle and your melee attacks.

Don't forget about your offensive cooldowns like Berserk, it's just awesome for pushing tps. Any racials you could use? And any option to pick up King of the Jungle, that's another +15% dps boost every minute and becomes even better with 4.1 and enrage mali removed.

Do you got a notifier like Power Aura for Berserk proccs so you really can get the most out of it?

Insahnity
04-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Hybrids tend to gem more agi than stamina, but full on stamina isn't that great either. Just gem/enchant for agi as much as possible, with stam/agi for blue sockets. Also keep your meta requirements, obviously.

A spec to work off would be useful. KotJ is great for threat, but not a core talent for survival, and as such a lot of people skip it. Few other talents to play around with as well.

Finally 4.1 is your friend if you are a hybrid, or so they say. Wait a bit?