PDA

View Full Version : PST - Episode 25

Lore
04-15-2011, 10:35 AM
qLYpktIUKI4

This week:

How can I clean up my screen so I can see what's actually happening?
What's up with Blizzard bringing back old mounts?
Is it alright to drink and raid?
Do raiders have anything to learn from PVP?

and more!

Xcuse
04-15-2011, 10:40 AM
You said it's episode 24 :O

Also wtf @ Aion shirt

MacDisciple
04-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi. You should list each of the questions with the time stamp so users can scrub to the ones that interest them most.

sental
04-15-2011, 12:57 PM
The Projected textures question was so useful, thank you, i will remember that for when i'm 25 man raiding.
Edit: i can tell why you wore the aion t-shirt after listening, but tbh i'd still wear my shaman t-shirst if i did internet stuff, which i don't. shaman pride!

Kemanorel
04-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Healing rain, Holy word: Sanctuary, and Efflo all use projected textures as well... I like standing in the good aoe?

lubz
04-16-2011, 03:34 AM
I can also see why it is handy to know where the frost trap is in certain situations

Regarding loud music, Mumble has a feature that reduces the volume of the (other) output sound when either you or someone else speaks. Really handy for the music-freaks out there who can't raid without loud music (and still wants to hear/be heard on voice comm.). Not sure why teamspeak/ventrilo haven't made a feature like that, it's really handy.

Malcophant
04-16-2011, 11:27 PM
As some other said, projected textures can have some negative ramification in knowing where healing circles/friendly AOE are.

On a side note, I can confirm that turning projected textures off does not hide any effects on Sinestra.

Lore
04-18-2011, 12:42 AM
The healing circles have other graphics (although the shaman one is pretty hard to see). That really hasn't been an issue for us at all though, since the healing circles are pretty much always where the group is standing.

Jasteus
04-18-2011, 10:07 PM
You're also forgetting things like flamestrike from the fire elementals in the acendant council room, or back in the day, hodir's snow mounds, or any of the "falls from ceiling" gauntlets. I registered just to say I don't agree with the projected textures advice. Better in mho would have been to tell him to turn *everything* down, and turn on the option to highlight/emphasize just his spell casts.

*edit* I could be wrong about this, but doesn't atramaedes(sp) targetted circles/sound waves on the ground during the air phase use projected textures?

Xcuse
04-18-2011, 10:43 PM
You're also forgetting things like flamestrike from the fire elementals in the acendant council room, or back in the day, hodir's snow mounds, or any of the "falls from ceiling" gauntlets. I registered just to say I don't agree with the projected textures advice. Better in mho would have been to tell him to turn *everything* down, and turn on the option to highlight/emphasize just his spell casts.

*edit* I could be wrong about this, but doesn't atramaedes(sp) targetted circles/sound waves on the ground during the air phase use projected textures?

Blizzard adjusted the current tier so you *can* run it without projected textures online.

The Atramedes circles you're talking off are ENHANCED by PTs, but you're not unable to see them if you turn PTs off.

feralminded
04-19-2011, 07:00 AM

You are in fact wrong. Yes in previous tiers you semi-"needed" PTs but blizzard explicitly programmed this tier such that you in fact do not. Lore is spot-on with his advice here as it is in fact a net-gain for most people. I still play with PTs, mostly out of ego (look at my expensive hardware ... must turn all settings up!!!) ... but everything I read says they are little more than a distraction. I know for a fact in the early days on magmaw before I instinctively knew the fight trying to see the lava circles under 3 different healing textures was nigh impossible.

Dahler
04-20-2011, 05:55 PM
What I got from this is that chihuahuas need buffed...

Robflop
04-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Also like to add that the Valiona & Theralion encounter uses projected textures. The big purple void zones Theralion puts down are projected textures, so turning them off will leave you unable to see them.

Apart from that fight I also turn off the projected textures, just to improve my fps when recording boss fights. I play on a rather old laptop so I had to turn it off, and I was surprised at how u can still see near enough every ability the bosses do, I remember back in TBC and WotLK days it was near enough mandatory to have that turned on.

Jasteus
04-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Yeah so I was wrong about current tier *requiring* PT's but I stand by my dissagreement with turning them off, did a week of raiding and as noted earlier, yeah you *can* kind of not have them for stuff like the room before the ascendant council. However, the flamestrikes are *much* harder to see without having particle effects way way up. Also as mentioned by the poster above, seeing dazzling destruction on valiona/theralion encounter was much harder to do as well.

Kemanorel
04-25-2011, 12:02 PM
While it is true the healing aoe effects *DO* have other visuals, my system runs smoothest in most cases with all settings lowest possible exceptions being projected textures on and particle effects 'fair'. Just for myself, this seems to work best as a balance between performance and visibility. Of course, as I'm often the guy who is kiting 'x' into/through 'y' I may be biased towards knowing where the ground aoe effects are placed.