PDA

View Full Version : Blizz Blues - Ep 13 - Expensive

fony
04-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Blizzard announces the upcoming Call-to-Arms feature for 4.1 and talks about the price of adding animations. Darnell (http://twitter.com/darnellSUP) ain't trying to hear any of that and he knows you aren't either.

huEigrLZbAA

Therec
04-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Great as usual. Especially loved the ending, that person was insane.

Scottpoet
04-12-2011, 12:28 AM
It is just an inexcusable answer, because anyone with a calculator knows it is a freaking lie. It is little things like this that wow is unwilling to do that really is the doorway for other companies with new games to exploit and put them into their own games that will actually make the difference between successful launches and failures.

Hammerstriker
04-12-2011, 06:25 AM
It is just an inexcusable answer, because anyone with a calculator knows it is a freaking lie.

And its been said time, and time again that there use of expensive was not $$ wise.

Really digging the wallpaper by the way ;)

Fetzie
04-12-2011, 06:31 AM
Expensive from a time management point of view, the artists and programmers would get paid the same regardless of what they are doing. But there are only so many hours in a day...

doom1992
04-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Darnell made it look quite cheep (of course I mean quick, but blizzard doesn't like to say that something takes too long) to make those animations.

Infusion101
04-12-2011, 09:46 AM
even if they mean time , not money , its still a bad excuse :|

Scottpoet
04-12-2011, 10:24 AM
And its been said time, and time again that there use of expensive was not $$ wise.

...and I like many players have heard this, only to then be introduced to the latest vanity pet or mount that is coming out. Which has a larger impact, a vanity pet that only 1% of the player base obtains and hardly ever uses or caster animations that at least a 1/3 of the player base will use for every mob and every fight.

They probably do have a reason, like working on firelands. Still, I think they are missing an opportunity

ghelyar
04-12-2011, 02:30 PM
I think the point was the animations are already there. Casters just currently do all of those animations with their staff stuck to their back or 1h stuck to their butt. It doesn't take any time *or* money to just put the weapons in their hands while they cast. What's happening for casters right now is the equivalent of a fury warrior running in and punching Nefarian in the leg while he has two giant axes strapped to his back.

Fetzie
04-12-2011, 02:38 PM
...and I like many players have heard this, only to then be introduced to the latest vanity pet or mount that is coming out. Which has a larger impact, a vanity pet that only 1% of the player base obtains and hardly ever uses or caster animations that at least a 1/3 of the player base will use for every mob and every fight.

They probably do have a reason, like working on firelands. Still, I think they are missing an opportunity

each spell animation would need designing for each race and gender, otherwise you would have staves poking through your character's chest etc. That is 12 race + gender combinations.

The vanity pets are usually just a reskin of already available wireframes, which is much less effort to produce.

Scottpoet
04-12-2011, 06:16 PM
each spell animation would need designing for each race and gender, otherwise you would have staves poking through your character's chest etc. That is 12 race + gender combinations.

The vanity pets are usually just a reskin of already available wireframes, which is much less effort to produce.

so the argument is that it is easier/cheaper to create something that requires virtually no work to be done, then to create something that requires some actual work

I can't fault the logic of it, but it is a redundant argument.

redraven937
04-12-2011, 09:58 PM
You can probably expect it to come out a few weeks after the Dance Studio is released.

On a serious note... does it really matter about the staff/dagger/etc? I mean, if they just did what Darnell was doing in the video, I have to ask: what does that improve? My female gnome mage's casting animation would look stupid with a huge staff just swiveling in her right hand while the left is held out in the complete opposite direction, along with the right hand shooting forward at the end of the cast. What Blizzard would really need to do is actually involve the weapon in a completely new, unique animation the same way the Mutilate animation is different than the standard sort of attack animation. I don't know that waving a staff around actually makes the game any better.

Jaen
04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
I miss DAoC casting animations. So awesome.
Rift has some similarities and I like them mucho!

trepcsuit
04-12-2011, 11:09 PM
LOL hilarious Darnell. If your really trying to debate the validity of cost you really missed out on this one.