PDA

View Full Version : Tanking DK Tank – Hit Question.

Marcellus
04-11-2011, 05:28 AM
I am little concerned about the hit level’s on my DK tank I am using a lot of hit gems and rune forge items to be hit caped at 8%.

My guild is on currently on Cho'gall & Nefarian. So I am pretty sure that I will be able to get my T11 shoulders & T11 head both have hit and possible the 2H Sword off Nefarian very soon.

Can you please take a look at my Gam’ing and enchanting am I getting this right?

I am in a 10man raiding guild the spec I have chosen is the role of interrupting tank.

Thanks in advance for our help and advice.

Link to Armory
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/neptulon/m%C3%A1rc%C3%A8llus/advanced

swelt
04-11-2011, 05:50 AM
I think you are right, you have gone way overboard on hit. If possible, you'd want to avoid losing so many potential defensive stats for hit, and switch in a few key items when you specifically need lots of hit.

I assume that the hit obsession comes out of the need to do reliable interrupts. Keep in mind that many of the targets you need to reliably interrupt are NOT boss level, so you need a lot less hit to cap. Also DKs get +9% spell hit as baseline, and mind freeze is a spell. I'm not sure off the top of my head what a good target would be, but you seem to have gone over the top.

btw Herbalism is amongst the worst professions for a tank.

Marcellus
04-11-2011, 06:29 AM
I do plan on dropping Herbalism for Blacksmithing or Engineering its just been very good way off making gold but your 100% right it must change a job for the weekend.

Is there any figures i.e % wise a minimal or average hit for DK tanks?

Michultradk
04-11-2011, 08:05 AM
This is taken from an EJ thread.

From here on it's trickier. You have 4 points to play around with, 2 which should be in Epidemic so you only need to refresh Frost Fever every 30 seconds (makes it align nicely with Outbreak and Scarlet Fever innately lasts 30 seconds anyway). That is unless you are on interrupt duty; then you should definitely go for 3/3 Virulence and 1/3 Epidemic instead. The loss of 4 secs on FF is rather minor compared to freeing up 3% spell hit from your gear for proper survival stats. The hit values to be spell hit capped are:

2/3 Virulence: 11% spell hit, 1126 hit rating. This equates to 9.3% melee hit which is 1.3% over the melee cap.
3/3 Virulence: 8% spell hit, 820 hit rating. This is equates to 6,8% melee hit.
0/3 or 1/3 Virulence: Don't even bother. If you are required to interrupt, go respec.

Marcellus
04-11-2011, 08:28 AM
I think they changed the way Virulence works in 4.06 patch The spell hit bonus previously given by Virulence (Unholy) has been rolled into the Runic Focus passive effect that all death knights possess.so it not longer gives the hit increase.

Link to 4.06 patch notes on WoWhead.
http://www.wowhead.com/patchnotes=4.0.6#death-knight

swelt
04-11-2011, 09:09 AM
So in effect, it's like having 3/3 virulence pre-patch.

But as I said, it also depends WHO you need to interrupt. If it's things like the adds at nefarian or cho'gall, those are lower level - you will never miss an interrupt even with 0 hit rating (due to the virulence change). If you need to interrupt maloriak, you need more hit (~820 rating - and in patch 4.1, you won't need that either). But you wouldn't want to carry enough hit to interrupt maloriak into every encounter, you'd want a few bits of hit-heavy gear in your bag.

On my DK, I took a set of Terborus's Rotating Bands, socketed (and BS bonus socket) with hit, and also enchanted them with hit. I've never actually used them in anger, but it's an example of a single piece switch which gives you more hit on demand.

Now having really low hit gets annoying, even life threatening when your rotation gets really broken up by misses, but you can afford to get rid of a whole bunch of those hit gems.

klausi
04-11-2011, 09:15 AM
I'd gem for avoidance/migitation and reforge/enchant for interrupt duty until 4.1 is deployed and then remove all hit stuff ASAP and reforge into more parry/dodge/mastery.

http://chardev.org/?profile=98239

Tengenstein
04-12-2011, 04:29 AM
Given two melee two tanks, We're finding having one melee on each platform and both tanks on the other is reliable enough for phase 2 interupts, bth tanks are quite unhitcapped giving you a 0.0049% chance to both miss an interupt. not quite 1 in 200 chances of getting one off... i can live with that. and frequently do!

Illidra
04-13-2011, 03:28 AM
you only need 5% hit for nefarion adds.

Marcellus
04-14-2011, 06:15 AM
Thanks all for your advice I now understand it a bit better.