PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Threat, Hit , Expertise ?

kingymech
04-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Hey well ive been tanking now on my pala (normally a warrior) and with cataclysm where the need for hit and expertise went out the window i thought, cool one less thing to worry about .

just done BOT and omfg i was getting raped for threat by the other tank in the raid. (DK)

I thought pala was king of aoe or has that changed in cat? I mean i had to physically taunt mobs off him 1 by 1 so we had equal amount.

After speaking he said its coz he was hit and expertise capped so he will generate more threat than me.

Is this true? am i going to have to go back to to the H,E caps?

Thanks.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/earthen-ring/maxiz/advanced

Selene
04-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Hit and Expertise are Threat Stats.
A Number of DK tanks do stat for it, because they do not want to miss on Death Strike.
As to having equal number of mobs, don't worry about it, as long as healers can keep up with the damage and the mobs are under control, don't worry about the Trash. Its Boss Threat you want to worry about.

Doc309
04-09-2011, 03:26 PM
if you are having problems with threat after the first 10 seconds ( and dps is on skull ) its probably a problem with your rotation.
if dps isn't on skull, well "you can't fix stupid."
if you have a good healer, try running SoT. it does help.

Selene
04-09-2011, 03:34 PM
His issue is trying to split the trash evenly with his co-tank in Raids.

Selene
04-09-2011, 03:41 PM
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/earthen-ring/maxiz/advanced

Changes to Enchants:
Chest - Enchant for Stamina
Bracers - Enchant for Dodge
Gloves - Enchant for Mastery
Boots - Enchant for Mastery
Helm - Work that rep up.

Spec - move the 2 points from Judgements of the Pure to Pursuit of Justice.

Don't worry about your threat gen vs another tank, as long as the job gets done. Some tanks are Greedy about mobs.
Also DKs are good AoE tanks too.

klausi
04-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Also DKs are good AoE tanks too.
Third place behind both paladin and warrior imho :) Druids got serious problems once berserk is off cooldown, 4.1 will address some of those issues.

AoE aggro is rather simple:
righteous fury is up? (!!!)
hammer on cooldown
keep inquisition up
basically you're done now, weave in avenger shield, judgement, consecration and holy wrath during downtime

If you feel comfortable you can start rolling SoT on multiple mobs (nameplates with a modified debuff display helps there) for additional tps and don't forget about your wings (+20% damage) or divine plea (3 hp right away).

And don't forget that you actually can taunt multiple mobs basically all the time. (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=31789)

if you have a good healer, try running SoT. it does help.
Especially on trash with multiple mobs. Healing aggro is divided among them.

swelt
04-11-2011, 03:30 AM
AOE threat isn't really that important in the current tier of raiding. Aside Maloriak heroic, Halfus whelps and a few trash pulls, you are mostly tanking small groups or single targets. On the packs I think you are talking about, death and decay does make the aoe threat job easier for the DK, but don't fret about it.

That said, there's no harm in carrying a 'threat set' which is high on hit/expertise for trash, just to reduce the chances of accidents. Just be ready to switch out of it when you get to the progression boss and want to make your survival.

Illidra
04-13-2011, 03:26 AM
dk threat is actually crazy good on aoe now.

i'd go as far as to say it's the best when in the hands of an experienced dk player, have you seen the threat coefficients for death and decay?

also more mobs on you = more damage = more vengeance = more threat.
so if he's starting the pull his vengeance will be a bit ahead of yours.
also your damage intake on aoe pulls is smoother from block so his vengeance will likely spike up quite quickly.

tbh screw hit and expertise, their effectively dps stats for tanks as threat is a non issue once vengeance is up and running.