PDA

View Full Version : Tanking What's wrong with me? Can't hold aggro?

Pdneves
04-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Hello,

I have been having this problem since I read on this forum that hit and exp weren't really needed so I reforged every hit and exp I had (I was almost capped) to mastery / parry or dodge, now the problem is that I keep losing aggro on 5 man bosses, haven't tried yet the 10 man (I am going tonight).
Here is my armory:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/shattered-halls/mackoy/simple

Didn't change spec, rotation or nothing just reforged everything.

I would like to know if there is anything wrong or if I have done anything wrong and if you changed anything on it.

Thank you.

MellvarTank
04-05-2011, 08:31 AM
The heroic bosses don't stack up vengeance enough for you to hit hard. 10 man bosses will, though you need a bit at the start to land at least 1 or 2 attacks. I usually run heroic 5 mans with a 'threat' set of gear (lots of expertise/mastery), and raids with survival gear.

Riz
04-05-2011, 09:04 AM
I notice you have the 346 "Thundercall"...When did u aquire that weapon? I've been geting moixed responces about trash drops no longer being 346..I knew, i had seen players with them...If they were removedfrom the game, but not reducedto those already with them,i could understand, but if you got it recently, plz let me know!

Pdneves
04-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I notice you have the 346 "Thundercall"...When did u aquire that weapon? I've been geting moixed responces about trash drops no longer being 346..I knew, i had seen players with them...If they were removedfrom the game, but not reducedto those already with them,i could understand, but if you got it recently, plz let me know!

Dropped from last boss on Vortex Pinnacle. Got surprised too...

MellvarTank
04-05-2011, 09:35 AM
They added it to the last boss in Vortex Pinnacle's loot list a while back.

Loganisis
04-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Depends on the DPS of your group. If the DPS isn't >12k or smart and not >15k, proper rotation you should probably have enough even with your gear. You're missing a few pieces to max out threat ahead of using hit/exp.

But first, a few questions... Do you use Concussive blow and start working Shockwave in after about 20 seconds so Vengence has had a little time to stack? Do you only use TC to refresh rend when it has less than 3 seconds remaining?

Take the 1 point out of Thunderstruck and the 2 points out of cruelty and put them in Deep Wounds. Deep Wounds is the best 'optional' threat talent you can get, much better than cruelty (I'm going to assume you want to keep Gag Order, otherwise take the 2 points out of there instead of Cruelty for maximum TPS gain).

Replace the glyph of Resonating Power (5 rage cheaper TC) with gylphed Shockwave for a few extra shockwaves (which become your 3rd hardest hitting ability behind SS with SB up and Conc Blow) and the charge glyph I'd suggest replacing with either Cleaving or Heroic Throw.

I'd also glyph Int. Shout over Beserker Rage. It's a nice interrupt on trash (though it does have a 2 min CD), as long as the mobs don't go scattering.

You're also going to gimp your threat generation by losing mastery to hit/exp because you'll block less for less rage generation. I find that outside of a couple of bosses in VP, with high block you're swimming in rage and nailing HS and you shouldn't have a huge issue.

I plugged your stats into WarTotem's spreadsheet after swapping the 2 points in Cruely and 1 point in Thunderstruck for 3 in Deep Wounds

On the pull with no vengence:
Shield Slam with SB UP > Concussion Blow > Shield Slam > Rend > Rev > Dev > HS > HT > Shockwave

At 33% vengence
SS With SB UP > Con Blow > SS > HT > HS > Shockwave > Rev > Rend > Dev

At 66% vengence
SS with SB UP > Con Blow > HT > Shockwave > HS > Rev > Rend > Dev

With that in mind, your open should should something like this:

HT -> Charge + SB -> SS -> Conc Blow -> Rend -> Rev -> (Rotation with SS off CD and leading off)

After a little bit, you probably should go: SS > Concussion Blow/Shockwave > Rev > (TC to refresh rend with less that 3 seconds left or reapply) > Devastate

Make sure to hit every SS you can. Try to use SB on CD for harder hitting shield slams if survability isn't a huge issue.

Pdneves
04-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Loganisis, thank you very much! I't all back to normal, 3 runs and no aggro lost at all.

Dragaan
04-06-2011, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't replace the zerker rage glyph for shout. The free ragecomes in handy. Also, if you're having threat issues, the last thing you want is for mobs not to beat on you.

Shady0309
04-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Depends on the DPS of your group. If the DPS isn't >12k or smart and not >15k, proper rotation you should probably have enough even with your gear. You're missing a few pieces to max out threat ahead of using hit/exp.

But first, a few questions... Do you use Concussive blow and start working Shockwave in after about 20 seconds so Vengence has had a little time to stack? Do you only use TC to refresh rend when it has less than 3 seconds remaining?

Take the 1 point out of Thunderstruck and the 2 points out of cruelty and put them in Deep Wounds. Deep Wounds is the best 'optional' threat talent you can get, much better than cruelty (I'm going to assume you want to keep Gag Order, otherwise take the 2 points out of there instead of Cruelty for maximum TPS gain).

Replace the glyph of Resonating Power (5 rage cheaper TC) with gylphed Shockwave for a few extra shockwaves (which become your 3rd hardest hitting ability behind SS with SB up and Conc Blow) and the charge glyph I'd suggest replacing with either Cleaving or Heroic Throw.

I'd also glyph Int. Shout over Beserker Rage. It's a nice interrupt on trash (though it does have a 2 min CD), as long as the mobs don't go scattering.

You're also going to gimp your threat generation by losing mastery to hit/exp because you'll block less for less rage generation. I find that outside of a couple of bosses in VP, with high block you're swimming in rage and nailing HS and you shouldn't have a huge issue.

I plugged your stats into WarTotem's spreadsheet after swapping the 2 points in Cruely and 1 point in Thunderstruck for 3 in Deep Wounds

On the pull with no vengence:
Shield Slam with SB UP > Concussion Blow > Shield Slam > Rend > Rev > Dev > HS > HT > Shockwave

At 33% vengence
SS With SB UP > Con Blow > SS > HT > HS > Shockwave > Rev > Rend > Dev

At 66% vengence
SS with SB UP > Con Blow > HT > Shockwave > HS > Rev > Rend > Dev

With that in mind, your open should should something like this:

HT -> Charge + SB -> SS -> Conc Blow -> Rend -> Rev -> (Rotation with SS off CD and leading off)

After a little bit, you probably should go: SS > Concussion Blow/Shockwave > Rev > (TC to refresh rend with less that 3 seconds left or reapply) > Devastate

Make sure to hit every SS you can. Try to use SB on CD for harder hitting shield slams if survability isn't a huge issue.

Thanks for the info, I was struggling a bit as well. This fixed everything. Thanks again.

Loganisis
04-08-2011, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't replace the zerker rage glyph for shout. The free ragecomes in handy. Also, if you're having threat issues, the last thing you want is for mobs not to beat on you.

On the pull, no, but it does have a 2 minute CD and breaks on damage, so you want to use it Int. Shout correctly. I usually use it mid fight in Con Blow/Shield Bash/Shockwave are all on CD and things are getting a little hairy.

I find I don't miss the 8 rage gained from Zerker Rage every 45 seconds or whatever the CD is to be of any value. I find saving it to break fears > it's minimal rage gain. Being able to use Int. Shout on trash with no worries about pulling the next pack is nice.

It is however one of those fringe things, and it's not going to make/break and it's not optimal for boss-fights- Zerker rage would be better there.

Pdneves, Shady - great to hear :-) The hope is always the advice helps.