PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Herioc Halfus Wyrmbraker

myndflame
04-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Ok First off

What drakes do you want to kill to have the best chance on defeating him is my only questions.

Thank you.

MellvarTank
04-04-2011, 03:51 PM
We pop the nether, storm and whelps off the start. Shield tank (or best geared) takes the storm and nether scion. Whelps die from incidental (while being tanked by one tank) and the other tank takes halfus. (3 tank strat) Once the storm dies (we kill it first) we pop the time warden. The whelp tank and the halfus tank alternate between the time warden and halfus, while the dps kill the nether scion. We usually dps the time warden after the scion dies to about 20%, then switch to halfus and the warden dies from incidental. 3 tank rotation on halfus with the MS stacks at this point, alternating CD's for the roar.

klausi
04-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Raid size?
Regular Setup?
Any paladins present in particular?

In general: you'll always want to free storm (to interrupt nova) and nether (ms won't stack that fast) at the start. More then that depends on my questions asked above.

myndflame
04-05-2011, 08:08 AM
1 Prot Paladin
1Feral Tank Druid

1Spriest
1Feral cat druid
1Fire Mage
1Survival Hunter
1Destruction Lock

1Holy Paladin
1Resto Shaman
1Holy Priest 1

10 man raid

myndflame
04-05-2011, 11:53 AM
so for ten man is it still the same as the strat mell gave me

insanebinn
04-05-2011, 11:58 AM
My guild uses the same tank set up as you guys do. As the previous posts have said storm and scion HAVE to be to released first for obvious reasons.

My guild 2 tanked and we released storm, scion and whelps off the hop. Our paly picked up halfus and had the scion md to him, while we both cleaved for whelp aggro. Once our paly got to 8 stacks of ms he bubbled the stacks off and continued to tank away. Once we hit 8 again I taunted off him and continued the fight taunting off each other at 8 stacks.

This way our paly would be taking the brunt of the dmg and heals could be focused on him for the first bit of the fight. But he was popping cds aswell as getting healer cds to cope with the dmg.

Our tank/heal set up was Prot Paly/Feral Tank RDruid/DiscPriest/HolyPaly

Contravene
04-05-2011, 12:21 PM
It was suggested above to bubble off stacks in Halfus I am commenting to that.

As Prot Pally in normal mode Halfus I typically save my bubble for if both tanks have stacks "oh shit mechanism".. But in the cases I have used it I could not keep the next tank from taking a swipe and restarting his counter on the stacks over again. (Which still works here cuz I grab it bac k at no stacks) If I am imagining Heroic mode to be harder I can't see this as a viable option and I am wondering if I am just missing something. As soon as I bubble/cancel and regardless of any pre or post taunting I use the next highest threat person takes a swipe which is the other tank resetting his counter.. Is there a method here to keep threat through the 50% sudden threat wash?

insanebinn
04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
@Contravene

My paly uses a bubble/cancel/taunt macro. He NEVER loses threat. It happens so damn fast you dont even see it happen lol. We used it for every attempt on our first kill and we had no issues at all. He never lost threat to halfus or the scion for a second, the scion is ez because storm is our first kill target which I tank.

The strat is very viable and has not caused us to wipe or have any problems once.

As far as the "threat wash" I asked him about it and he said he does not think there is one and if there is we never notice it lol

Contravene
04-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks I will try to macro in the taunt with the bubble.. I knew you couldn't be losing aggro for a split second and using this method so I knew there was a secret here.. Thanks man

myndflame
04-06-2011, 10:25 AM
So

Paladin tank, tanks Boss and Scion

Feral tanks Storm and Whelps

Kill storm, swap with the paladin becaose of stacks and tank boss and scion while he grabs adds?

Im a little lost because stacks would kick our ass wouldnt they?

Revolver123
04-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Unless you have a prot pally and feral druid you have to 3 tank this fight. Unfortunately Prot warriors and Blood DKs are not good here in a 2 tank setup. (Prot warriors arent really good for anything except being the add tank).

With three tanks, you can actually release nether, whelps, time, storm at the same time. We had the pally tank storm, time and the whelps while popping all CDs. Had prot warrior start on halfus and kite him with heroic leap until nether engaged. Raid burned down time first and the whelps. Warrior and Blood DK swapped every 8 stacks.

insanebinn
04-06-2011, 12:02 PM
@myndflame

Our paladin tanks halfus and scion, I tank storm as you know and understand. The whelps dont specificaly get tanked by either of us. We just cleave them for aggro, which he usually ends up winning cuz of lol paly aoe threat. Along with this our hunter MDs whelps to the tanks to help keep aggro off of our mage.

This does mean that our paly takes insane amounts of dmg (on that note we are switching to me picking up halfus and storm at the start now, so he will only have whelps + scion) anyways. Once I have to taunt I taunt ONLY halfus thats it, the dmg after that part is MUCH more managable.

By the time I have to taunt storm is usually about dead and we can release time warden, which I then grab because I have cds left over he usually doesnt.

If you do tank swaps properly the tank should not get more then 10 stacks at the worst, last night I had a time where somehow I only had 3 stacks and my tank taunted.

Now with us switching it up to me tanking halfus and storm at the start of the fight. Our paly will pick up whelps and scion. We should of done this in the first place but that is part of learning and this would probebly be a lot better of an idea to try out OR you could go with a 3 tank method as previously suggested.

My apologies for the wall of text but hopefully this will make things better to understand