PDA

View Full Version : DPS Fury Warrior - Bizarre DPS Issues...

Kogen
04-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Okay, first post here, Hello people.
I'll try and keep this as brief as possible... although there is quite a lot I need to explain, so apologies for Tl;dr in advance.

I made my warrior my main in cata, since I loved the class from a PvP perspective. I had only tanked previously, so I was a bit skeptical about trying out DPS, but I eventually decided to play Fury in PvE. I have recently changed from 10man to 25man raiding, and am so far loving it. Except- my dps seems to have taken a turn for the worse.

My Character:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/defias-brotherhood/kogen/advanced

My issue:

When I was raiding ten man in albeit less gear than I currently have, I was pulling between 15-17k on most fights without issue, and pulling a respectable 13k on a target dummy. (around Ilevel 354, with some PvP items)
I generally got praise for the numbers I was pulling for my gear, and decided to try and take it a bit further.
I joined a 25man guild, on the premise that I would be pulling even nicer dps in the heavily buffed environment, but somewhere something has gone horribly horribly wrong.
A SMF also in the guild, with less gear than me pulls 17-20k average in most fights.
I cant seem to get out of the 12-15k bracket (with the latter being rare)
I also have noticed my damage has scaled a tiny amount on the Target dummy, with such a huge difference in gear from what I had before. (Still pulling 12kish on the raiders dummy from behind)
I've raised this issue with a friend of mine, and gone through various reforging(tried crit/hit/mastery) and the issue remains. Now, I don't know what I SHOULD be pulling in my current state of gear, but it just feels like im a waste of Purples at the moment.
I have been having some performance issues in 25man, which I have knuckled down to having recount active (This gains me a k or so when disabled, with me playing at 30fps average) but I still feel my damage is hopeless.
My rotation is how ive read in guides, and I make sure everything is on cooldown if possible.

I have noticed a large dps drop since switching from Blue trinkets (Heart of solace Hc/ Right eye of Rajh Hc) to my epic Alchemy trinket and FoA.
I feel I may be being too reluctant to use cooldowns such as Deathwish and my FoA trinket, only saving them for points in time where the boss takes extra damage (a la magmaw's head being down)

Im basically asking, am I doing something horribly wrong?
Is there something wrong with my gear?
Or could it be something else...

All in all Its getting me down a fair bit, just started heroics and constantly sitting out for being bottom dps, and feeling like im being carried when im putting tons of effort in on boss fights. SO, people of tankspot, help me please :P

Ill answer any questions to help give a better idea of what could be going wrong.

edit- heres an embarrassing log of a Cho kill last week.
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-i1www5yyj9bma2b4/analyze/dd/source/
Thanks- Kogen

Loganisis
04-02-2011, 03:31 PM
First, SMF > TG at this point, and it's going to get a little wider in 4.1.

Stats:

You have 13.01% hit (10.01% from gear) whcih is 5.01% more than is ideal for TG. That hit should be converted into crit where possible.

You should never enchant hit/exp if you have a str option, you can give up haste > mastery to get any hit/expertise you might need.

Landslide > Hurricane > everything else.

40 hit gem in your belt, replace it with at least a 20 str/20hit, if not full 40 str gem.

If you're saving CDs only for specific points, you're losing out.

Unless there's an early burn phase (like exposed head) I'll wait until the tank has suffciient threat, then pop it all (Golemsblood, on-use trinket, DW + Recklessness+CS-->>>gogogogoggo) and then on CD after that unless there's another burn phase coming up where pays to wait a little.

Another point, is with the overlapping of talents in Cata compared to WotLK, you can have nearly every buff (and indeed, every buff important to your class) in a 10 man group, unlike when there was a bigger difference between 10 and 25.

Are you flasking/elixoring?

Better minds will help more than this, but from an early glance... here ya go.

swelt
04-04-2011, 04:19 AM
I'm no fury pro, but I would suggest that this is likely to be down to technique. SMF is only marginally better than TG (although I think the smoother rage income makes it is easier too, which exaggerates the difference)

Since you have another fury warrior in your group, you have an excellent point of reference. The log you posted isn't ideal for comparison, try to get a log in which you and the other warrior are both raiding and on a fight which doesn't see your running all over the place (twin dragons or maloriak perhaps?). Then go through the logs and compare: are you getting similar numbers of bloodthirst/raging blows/cs/hs hits or are the patterns different. If different, try to work out why. Then look at 'buffs gained' and check for things like death wish, zerker rage, recklessness, trinket effects etc and check how many times you are doing it compared to him.

You've mentioned a couple of things that could be relevant: you suffer low fps (this hurts, review your addons and graphic settings) and you are hesitant with dps cooldowns. I myself suffer from the latter when I play offspec, the temptation to wait is something you need to overcome. If he is getting 3xDW and you only 2, there's a big chunk of damage.

Revolver123
04-06-2011, 11:09 AM
With fury, you need to play perfectly to keep up with other DPS classes. Currently, fury warriors are on the low end of the DPS so it will take a bit of effort to keep up. While having only 8% hit is recommended in the current patch, in patch 4.1, which is slated to hit soon, you will want to start stacking hit again. This is because fury auto attacks are getting a 40% damage increase and warrior burst abilities are getting a 33% nerf. To compensate for the burst nerf and to take advantage of the auto attack increase, you will want to make sure your auto attacks are not missing. The stat priority in the next patch is Strength > Crit > Hit > Mastery > Haste. Though mastery and haste are almost tied for prioritizing.

Loganisis
04-06-2011, 10:29 PM
With fury, you need to play perfectly to keep up with other DPS classes. Currently, fury warriors are on the low end of the DPS so it will take a bit of effort to keep up. While having only 8% hit is recommended in the current patch, in patch 4.1, which is slated to hit soon, you will want to start stacking hit again. This is because fury auto attacks are getting a 40% damage increase and warrior burst abilities are getting a 33% nerf. To compensate for the burst nerf and to take advantage of the auto attack increase, you will want to make sure your auto attacks are not missing. The stat priority in the next patch is Strength > Crit > Hit > Mastery > Haste. Though mastery and haste are almost tied for prioritizing.

The bold is wrong. Fury's ceiling is lower than other specs, but higher than other specs as well. It's actually kinda in the middle. Top-end Progression Raiding Guilds might go low on fury because they have access to other melee that has a higher ceiling, but for the vast majority of guilds, a Fury Warriors output versus any other DPS's output for most fights will come down to the ability of the two players in question.

It varies by the fight, but you can see the 'rough' ceiling for each spec compared to the others. http://stateofdps.com/

And Fury IS NOT overly complicated. I don't know SMF's rotation, but it's roughly the same as TG I think with Slam/RB swapping places based on the level of mastery a player has.

BT - RB - BT - Slam. CS on CD (usually), stack DPS CDs. For TG, HS when rage > 80, not sure the guideline for SMF.

Every class has things you have to do in order to be successful.

The itilizced is not entirely accurate. http://www.wowhead.com/patchnotes=4.1.0-ptr#warrior

RB is getting buffed by 20% base and Fury is losing 6 of it's 8 base mastery. Essentially the total effect of mastery is reduced by .34 which is NOT a 33% nerf. The result is based on gear levels. If you have 12 mastery in game right now, you're losing 50% of your 'base' mastery benefit. If you have 18, then it's 33%. However, the ~20% buff to RB (100% weapon damage to 120%) will offset this to a degree (it won't directly affect the loss to DW though).

As for hit trumping mastery and mastery = haste... I'm HIGHLY skeptical this will be the end result... I could speculate as to why, but I don't have math to show, so it would be hersay... just that my guess is that hit > mastery to some level of gear, then mastery > hit (my guess is when you can get back to current levels of mastery) and both > haste always... well... maybe at lower levels haste would be greater than hit as the two would interact to a degree, but again, at higher gear levels, I think you'll find the same rating distribution.