PDA

View Full Version : Tanking "new" to wow dont know what class to tank help plz

nightten
04-01-2011, 02:08 PM
hi i am "new" (have a lvl 73)to wow and i wanne tank, but i dont know what class that i wanne i am struggling to choose between a dk and a paladin, i tried tanking in the past with my lvl 73 warrior but that didnt work out that well. Is dk harder or easier than a warr to tank with? the pro and cons from the class and ...
And what is also good in pvp (i like a bg/arena once in a while just for fun)?

sorry for my bad english ;)
ty

Hamhead
04-04-2011, 12:49 AM
Warrior and paladin are probably the easiest to be honest...wouldn't advise DK unless you are familiar with the basics of tanking - i.e. threat mechanics and positioning.

Paladin probably edges better towards the learning curve than warrior as you have less buttons to figure out! But whatever else make sure you have fun playing what you choose else there's no point doing it!

Contravene
04-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I am a Paladin tank who likes to PVP in Ret spec. I am also building my Retro Paladin out for DPS as well becase I like to swap out to DPS sometimes and burst to the top of recount. (Also you can be asked to switch to DPS sometimes) Alternatively Warrior is a great tank and actually Fury Warrior is a big problem for me in PVP.. With your description and in my opinion those are your two choices.

Reev
04-05-2011, 11:52 AM
If you're new to WoW, I'd recommend learning all the encounters comfortably on DPS characters before starting on tanking. When it comes to the class to tank with, do what you like, but I'd say paladins are probably the most intuitive.

sifuedition
04-05-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm with Reev on this. Wanting to tank is awesome and I fully encourage it...after you understand game mechanics better.

There are some fundamentals that other roles don't need to know and questing does not teach you. Play a dps or healer with special attention to how tanks do some things.
1. Positioning. Good tanks never let mobs get their backs and if it looks like they are, they are probably steaffing. Learn to strafe.
2. Pacing. Watch what tanks do about healer mana. Good ones never need to be told "mana" by a healer.
There's more, just watch good tanks.

There are also important things you can't see from watching another tank in-game that some vids may help with.
1. UI. You need to have all important info easily visible and absorbable without looking away from combat. It takes a new tank a long time typically to actually figure out what actually is important for them and what is not.
2. Visibility and awareness. As the tank, you have to see that the un-aware dps/healer is about to face-pull or the pat is bee-lining the healer even before they do. I highly recommend zooming all the way out...then zoom out more. Do a little googling for camera console commands and you will find the default camera max is not the actual max.

Having your abilities second nature is also important and easiest done if you have tanked from lvl 10 up. My recommendation? Play your warrior as dps in groups for a while and absorb what good tanks are doing. Solo old content and pvp as prot for practice. Meanwhile, level a pally as prot for practice in groups. Between the two, you should learn the tanking tricks faster.

Gregasaurous
04-05-2011, 09:16 PM
My first charecter (made after the endgame fo WOTLK, a few months befor the release of Cata) was a prot Warrior. I'm not going to lie, that was no easy thing to do. I did have a understanding of the mechanics of the game from watching my friend play WoW for a while, but starting as a tank took a bit of trial and error and a lot of asking questions.

I would suggest you level a Pally in prot so you can learn to see dungeons from a tanking perspective while the the fights are simple. To learn tanking with a level 73 will take a LOT of trial and just as much error (and some nasty repair bills too) due to more advanced dungeons. And it's also helpful to be able to level in your spec so you can gain a good understanding of what talent points do for you and how attacks/abilities work. This is another reason I'd go with a pally if i were you.

And lastly, I've had one-on-one fights with Pally's in BG's that literally lasted the whole battle. If done right a prot Pally can be as hard to kill as a mage or priest.

Revolver123
04-06-2011, 10:57 AM
My main is a paladin tank and all my alts are tanks. My lowest equipped tank alt would be my DK who has ilvl 356. (Yes I have no life at the moment :)

If you looking to be a serious raider, become a paladin tank. Warriors might be appealing, but understand when it comes to heroic raids, they are currently the worst of the four tanks for single target tanking. If you roll a warrior, you will be stuck as the add tank on all fights with adds and on fights that do not require an add tank, you will be asked to play fury or sit out of the raid.

Paladins have the most versatility. They are excellent single target tanks, they have a useful raid cooldown and they are good add tanks as well (though not as good as warriors at this job due to lack of mobility.)

Blood DKs and Feral druids are good single target tanks as well.

Banterloft
04-06-2011, 12:34 PM
If you're new to WoW, I'd recommend learning all the encounters comfortably on DPS characters before starting on tanking. When it comes to the class to tank with, do what you like, but I'd say paladins are probably the most intuitive.

This. What you don't want to do is ding 85, que for a roic, then find yourself losing hate and being berated by all of the dps and healers. A few of those will turn a new tank to leveling a mage double quick. That being said, learning to hold hate and learning to tank are two different things. Learn your whole toon. Learn how to use all of your tools in new ways to mitigate dmg or save a dps'r pretty little magical arse. Take your time, don't get discouraged and you should be able to play any tanking class.

Best advice for tanking in any MMORPG... Think slow and move fast.

Bung
04-07-2011, 12:21 PM
What class is your toon? If you are currently leveling a tank class (druid, dk, pally, warrior) try cuing some random dungeons and tank. Learn about whatever class you choose from tankspot articles and guides. If you want to tank now I say go for it. I think your question is a little weird because you can't just turn a warrior into a pally. If you are asking what class to start at level one to make a tanking toon I think pally is easiest.

Reev
04-07-2011, 12:36 PM
My main is a paladin tank and all my alts are tanks. My lowest equipped tank alt would be my DK who has ilvl 356. (Yes I have no life at the moment :)

If you looking to be a serious raider, become a paladin tank. Warriors might be appealing, but understand when it comes to heroic raids, they are currently the worst of the four tanks for single target tanking. If you roll a warrior, you will be stuck as the add tank on all fights with adds and on fights that do not require an add tank, you will be asked to play fury or sit out of the raid.

Paladins have the most versatility. They are excellent single target tanks, they have a useful raid cooldown and they are good add tanks as well (though not as good as warriors at this job due to lack of mobility.)

Blood DKs and Feral druids are good single target tanks as well.

Warriors are also excellent single target tanks. Nothing wrong with them. Yes, they're best for multiple adds atm, but they're still quite good single target, and really in a very wide variety of situations. Paladins have strong utility abilities, like the ability to bubble out of most debuffs on debuff stacking things (read Nezir's platform, halfus, etc.), or raid wall. Warriors also have tricks in our arsenal, however, such as heroic leap, charge/intercept, intervene, stuns, and Spell Reflect in addition to our survival cooldowns, plus we're getting a raid laststand next patch and additional short cooldown magic damage reduction. Both are strong for single target, and warriors excel at multi target at the moment. I can't speak to multi-target on other tanks, but I want to dispel the notion that warriors are weak single target tanks.

Gregasaurous
04-07-2011, 01:54 PM
What class is your toon? If you are currently leveling a tank class (druid, dk, pally, warrior) try cuing some random dungeons and tank. Learn about whatever class you choose from tankspot articles and guides. If you want to tank now I say go for it. I think your question is a little weird because you can't just turn a warrior into a pally. If you are asking what class to start at level one to make a tanking toon I think pally is easiest.

Dude, do you know how to read? He said he has a 73 warrior, and he tried tanking a few times and it didn't work to well.

Kerchunk
04-07-2011, 02:22 PM
they are currently the worst of the four tanks for single target tanking. If you roll a warrior, you will be stuck as the add tank on all fights with adds and on fights that do not require an add tank, you will be asked to play fury or sit out of the raid.

Okay, I see you throwing this line down in a lot of threads. Can you back it up with anything besides your own personal anecdotal experience? Perhaps YOUR Warrior tanks just need to improve?

World of Logs shows plenty of 10 and 25-man Heroic kills with record-setting DPS using Warrior tanks.

Just one sampling, of the kills with the Top 25 highest recorded DPS ever for 25-Man Heroic Atramedes, 13 of the fights used Warrior tanks. Top 25 highest DPS on Valioan & Theralion? 23 involve a Warrior tank.

So before you go around telling people they're going to get benched for raids if they're a Warrior, you need to bring a bit more to the conversation I think.

Selene
04-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Okay, I see you throwing this line down in a lot of threads. Can you back it up with anything besides your own personal anecdotal experience? Perhaps YOUR Warrior tanks just need to improve?

World of Logs shows plenty of 10 and 25-man Heroic kills with record-setting DPS using Warrior tanks.

Just one sampling, of the kills with the Top 25 highest recorded DPS ever for 25-Man Heroic Atramedes, 13 of the fights used Warrior tanks. Top 25 highest DPS on Valioan & Theralion? 23 involve a Warrior tank.

So before you go around telling people they're going to get benched for raids if they're a Warrior, you need to bring a bit more to the conversation I think.

I think it is more most warriors suck at threat generation.

Icebreaker
04-08-2011, 04:15 AM
It may happen like the first 10 sec of the encounter. After that it's usually like double lead, if you're doing things properly. And if you bother and do some prepull stuff - the begining is fine too by the way:)