PDA

View Full Version : Warrior SMF -- Hit vs Mastery (Both current & in 4.1)

Squirrelnut
04-01-2011, 11:05 AM
So... as progression continues different gear options become available and I received my first heroic lava spine to complement a normal one. Since neither of my TG weapons are heroic I figured it was an ideal time to switch to SMF especially considering the 4.1 mastery nerf which will hurt TG a lot more then SMF.

With that being, said I am looking to min/max as much as possible and I am curious as to people's thoughts on Hit vs Mastery.

With TG I always went 8% hit > mastery > additional hit however now that I am going SMF and with incoming mastery nerf + white swing damage buff I am wondering if things are changing to go hit > mastery up to a certain point beyond 8%. If that is the case any ideas on what that hit % would be before mastery evens out with it?

One immediate big change I could make would be to replace my Fury of Angerforge with License to Slay, however I hesitate to do that considering I am already at about 10.5% hit and I see other SMF Warriors I respect such as Landsoul still with about 8.5% hit.

Thoughts? I am doing decently well right now ranking in the top 150 on WoL Heroic Atramedes 25m last night with my first SMF attempt but I want to continue to improve and min/max as much as absolutely possible.

Parse review (bad benchmark fight I know but I was tanking most other fights): H Atramedes 25 (http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/8g7lvjiqsu564wt5/details/11/?s=7745&e=8089)
Damage done:
1. BT - 2,078,174 (30%)
2. Melee - 1,509,538 (22.4%)
3. HS - 808,262 (12%)
4. RB - 759,520 (11.2%)
5. Execute - 461,911 (6.8%)
6. Slam - 391653 (5.8%)

With that being said if Melee white-swing damage is getting a 40% damage buff that would mean .4 x 1,509,538 = 603,815.2 more damage for a total of 2,113,353.2 making it my highest damage beating out BT? It sure seems like if that is the case some additional hit may really become worthwhile come 4.1 to take more advantage of that buff.

EDIT: One point to mention, I know many people have higher hit because it is 'easier', I am most interested in highest possible DPS potential if everything is done perfect, not what is easiest. With that being said I do want to account for bad RNG just in case.

Deathwish238
04-15-2011, 02:15 PM
I ran SMF with two Soul Blades until a week ago...I loved it. SMF's biggest advantage is its consistency and excellent rage generation.

I would highly recommend: Str > 26 Expertise > 8% Hit > Crit > Hit Cap > Mastery > Haste. Mastery is less important now and will be less important in 4.1 than high Hit and Crit. You'll have plenty of rage to be using Heroic Strike often and it will more than make up for the loss from not stacking Mastery.

SMF really wants all the Hit and Crit possible because Crit = Flurry for more white damage and Hit is obviously more white damage too...and as you noticed the majority of our dmg comes from white damage already and it's only getting buffed! Mastery does little for your top three damage abilities while Crit and Hit will allow for more BT crits and HS uses.

Insahnity
04-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Squats has a lot of experience raiding with different ways to go TG. Aggathon can back me up on this one.

squats
04-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Its already been stated on EJ several times that high hit will be best.

the nerf to mastery will put hit well over it for the foreseeable future

Deathwish238
04-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Its already been stated on EJ several times that high hit will be best.

the nerf to mastery will put hit well over it for the foreseeable future

The nerf to mastery and the buff to white damage will keep Hit as our best stat for a long time.

Thegreatme
04-18-2011, 06:49 AM
I really fail to see why people are saying that mastery is getting nerfed. it's not. the value of mastery is staying the same, as it's still going to give the same DPS gain per point (+/- like 2 dps) as it currently does. The only thing that is changing is how much of it we have. maybe it because people think the non-linear nature of our mastery is much more concave than it really is. it's practically linear and it will never get to a point were we will see any noticeable results from the increasing returns, unless blizzard intends for us to be rolling with a a couple hundred thousand mastery rating some time this expansion.

hit is getting a very significant buff, and because of the fact that hit is fairly close to mastery in terms of value currently, once this buff goes live it's going to be better than mastery. it's that simple.

squats
04-18-2011, 07:42 PM
The lack of base mastery and the mastery needed to make up the difference is what im refering to as a "mastery nerf". It would require a lot of mastery to make it up. causing mastery to be less desirable than it is right now.

Asmalya
04-21-2011, 03:28 AM
ya true mastery doesnt get nerfed but +40% autoattackdmg will buff hit and haste more. so mastery only gets devalued in our statprio. i think this is the reason most people call out nerf.