PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Cata Instance Advice

madoracl3
04-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Hi.

Long time player of WoW, but playing my first Tank. So far I am enjoying it to no end - it presents a new challenge and forces me to adopt a new style of play, and I love it. Currently I am in Wrath, and in Wrath and before that Outlands I have had no issues with the bosses in various instances. But before too long I will be tanking Cata instances.

I do not want to be the responsible party for a wipe in Grim Batol or something because the tank didn't know the fight. Is there a decent website, blog, anything with some details on the various Cata bosses geared towards tanks so I will know what I need to do when I get there?

If it makes any difference, I am playing a Blood spec'd DK.

Krenian
04-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Well, you could always try either wowhead.com and wowwiki.com to go see the areas and the bosses.

Normally those two places have a lot of information about the instance and the bosses, as well as their mechanics and attacks they do. The more you know about what enemies will do in a fight to you, the better you are ready to take advantage of this knowledge and do well in an instance.

However the best way to really test out stuff is doing the instance yourself and watching what mobs and bosses do. This will let you learn from your mistakes and see where your strengths and weaknesses are. In the end, you are responsible for your own skills and determining what you must work on.

My suggestion is just to go with it and learn. The part of WoW that's most fun is noticing what are the new things that you must react to. Wipes happen! Don't beat yourself too much if you wipe once or twice, it's a learning curve. In the end, you'll get better, notice the few differences in each boss and react accordingly.

But if you want pre-emptive knowledge of the areas, I would suggest reviewing their abilities no the two sites above.

klausi
04-03-2011, 04:28 AM
You also could try the bossinfo addon (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/bossinfo.aspx), it gives you (and your party if you want to) a decent overview what to expect :)

Buffalowings
04-04-2011, 02:02 AM
However the best way to really test out stuff is doing the instance yourself and watching what mobs and bosses do. This will let you learn from your mistakes and see where your strengths and weaknesses are. In the end, you are responsible for your own skills and determining what you must work on. What also helps is join the instance as a dps. This way you can (most likely) see a tank do his thing and look at the way he is tanking it. There is no guarantee this is the right way but it might give you a first impression on how the boss is done.

mistraele
04-04-2011, 02:09 AM
heres a TL-DR for grim batol.
1st boss - tank him, avoid blitz, pick up all adds cept for the purple one.
2nd boss - tank him, avoid standing in bad stuff - run away when he has mace. pop CDs on dual wield, and step through himn when he does his shield fire thing.
3rd boss. tank him, face away from dps. take him away from the spawning ele adds - which should be dpsed down.
4th boss - tank him, run to centre of gale vortex thing when he casts it. hope ur dps is good enough to down the 2 adds.

Buffalowings
04-04-2011, 02:28 AM
heres a TL-DR for grim batol.
1st boss - tank him, avoid blitz, pick up all adds cept for the purple one.
2nd boss - tank him, avoid standing in bad stuff - run away when he has mace. pop CDs on dual wield, and step through himn when he does his shield fire thing.
3rd boss. tank him, face away from dps. take him away from the spawning ele adds - which should be dpsed down.
4th boss - tank him, run to centre of gale vortex thing when he casts it. hope ur dps is good enough to down the 2 adds.

This! and:
When tanking the second boss make sure too start tanking him near the stairs so you have enough space to move away. When he casts "pick weapon" take a step back so when he picks the mace you won't get picked up.
On the last boss don't take the boss too the adds. I think he will cast some sort off buff; Don't know for sure if it is the boss being too close or the add not dieing fast enough tho

Theotherone
04-04-2011, 10:13 AM
On the last boss don't take the boss too the adds. I think he will cast some sort off buff; Don't know for sure if it is the boss being too close or the add not dieing fast enough tho

I think, it's add not dying fast enough, I usually pull the boss over and help dps down the add on the side with only one dpser and never noticed a boss buff. I've healed it where tanks do the same thing and never noticed any increased damage or anything.

Mortor
04-05-2011, 02:44 AM
When i tank last boss as a DK i slow the two adds to give the dps more time to nuke them. So i allways tank the boss pretty close to the hallway where the adds come from.