PDA

View Full Version : The Weekly Marmot - Dealing with Younger Raiders

Lore
03-29-2011, 11:18 AM
lRWgVgp8tME

Follow me on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/devolore) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/devolore)!

Kazeyonoma
03-29-2011, 11:35 AM
wait... i'm 25 and i am not supposed to like justin bieber? but...

Quinafoi
03-29-2011, 11:51 AM
wait... i'm 25 and i am not supposed to like justin bieber? but...

Are you still in withdrawal that Cartoon Network isn't making Justin Beiber and Spaghetti Cat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xS_CEQWdk) as proposed by Parry Gripp?

Gnurken
03-29-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm 35, who is Justin Bieber?

Doc309
03-29-2011, 11:54 AM
funny but most of lore's advice to younger raiders, is as true for any raider....

Doc309
03-29-2011, 11:56 AM
that kid with the hair? that seems to think he's too sexy for his pants...
my GF is an elementary school teacher i'm sure she knows...

SaCu
03-29-2011, 12:30 PM
How old is Lore ?

Jaen
03-29-2011, 12:31 PM
It's no different than real life. Imagine you and your circle of friends who do X activity. Softball, Hockey, Bowling league, whatever.
Sometimes they can fit, sometimes not. Sometimes it's totally weird and uncomfortable, sometimes it clicks nicely.
Good advices, Josh. TY

Scottpoet
03-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Best intro ever

Trorg
03-29-2011, 12:50 PM
so what is mrHRHurd7Ws?

Murgsfurry87
03-29-2011, 01:46 PM
YES Daft Punk... thank you Lore thank you.

Xzeraa101
03-29-2011, 01:48 PM
You tell em lore!!!!

Bobsmash
03-29-2011, 01:56 PM
My issue with young people.....

school

I raid in the mornings.

Quinafoi
03-29-2011, 02:01 PM

school

I raid in the mornings.

It's not morning everywhere.

Ion
03-29-2011, 03:55 PM

school

I raid in the mornings.

Damn kids...get a job.

And get off my lawn.

And get a haircut.

Arkanon
03-29-2011, 04:53 PM
My PC froze when your face popped up on your own screen.

P.S
Are you suggesting that a 13 year old cannot understand the finer points of CSI? (like the gore).

Bashyou
03-29-2011, 05:39 PM
I seem to be missing the "full screen" button on new uploaded youtuve vids. Its only happened in the last few uploads.

Kazeyonoma
03-29-2011, 05:49 PM
I seem to be missing the "full screen" button on new uploaded youtuve vids. Its only happened in the last few uploads.

fixed! ;]

Bashyou
03-29-2011, 06:19 PM
fixed! ;]

Wow thanks Kaz!! that was quick!

oldmantanky
03-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Concise, brutally honest, and very informative, Josh. Might I humbly suggest that you consider a Daily Marmot episode on the same theme, but addressing the other end of the age spectrum? I'm 43, and WoW is my mid-life crisis (cheaper and safer than a motorcycle or a mistress, and moderately less stresfull on my marriage). I'm probably in a hopeless minority, but it might be helpful for younger players to know how to deal with middle-aged players in their guild. Perhaps how to recognize those strange polite folks with good spelling and grammar in chat? The ones who have alts with maxed trade skills, who are more than happy to craft you items for free and even throw in mats ('cause it's all play money to them)? Those nice players who help you get past a tough boss while you're leveling, and who actually have their class researched and know how to gem and enchant their humble (yet improving) gear? There can be some benefits to having an older player around, we're not all useless.

Zeppelin535
03-29-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm 35, who is Justin Bieber?

Who is Justin Bieber, more like who is Neil Young? (http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/article/962878--bieber-fans-on-twitter-don-t-know-who-neil-young-is)

Therec
03-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Another great Marmot.

I've had mostly bad experiences with younger players, but they weren't serious raiders, just children of guild members who turned out to be very needy and annoying. I have seen serious raiders still in high school however, the top guild on our server who's 8/12H 25 man has 3 or 4 in the main group.

Just wondering, but if I told you on my app to the guild that I was going to DPS harder, better, faster, and stronger than any other raider, would that be an instant invite?

Bashyou
03-30-2011, 05:01 AM
Justin Bieber got shot. He was killed. Hay if i see it on the internet, its true right?

Krenian
03-30-2011, 06:57 AM
Haters gonna hate. S'all I'm going to say.

Pwnbroker
03-30-2011, 09:16 AM
In my experience, the kids are typically better players as far as skill goes. My problems have been with the emotional meltdowns that can occur with more frequency. The whole attendance thing-not a big deal, people can or can't make raid times, and that issue is simple and easily resolved. The problems are when someone gets stepped on and instead of addressing it maturely and with dialogue instead of a freak out temper tantrum. Biggest example is the guild bank robbery and trade chat tirades about the guild. Been through both of those with 16 year olds. Thats the thing I worry about.

wormspeaker
03-31-2011, 09:21 AM
There can be some benefits to befriending an older wow player that some younger players might not consider.

Wow. That didn't sound creepy at all. They should totally come over to your house and hang out in your basement. You can ask them to show you their mosh. (Reference to a creepy CK commercial.)

I know you didn't mean it that way, but it sure sounded bad.

In my experience being the middle aged guy in the guild isn't really a problem as long as you resist the temptation to tell the kids to get off your lawn. If you're having problems in this regard, then maybe your mid-life crisis is a little more severe than you think. Tone down the neediness and I think you'll be fine.

oldmantanky
03-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Wow. That didn't sound creepy at all. They should totally come over to your house and hang out in your basement. You can ask them to show you their mosh. (Reference to a creepy CK commercial.)

I know you didn't mean it that way, but it sure sounded bad.

In my experience being the middle aged guy in the guild isn't really a problem as long as you resist the temptation to tell the kids to get off your lawn. If you're having problems in this regard, then maybe your mid-life crisis is a little more severe than you think. Tone down the neediness and I think you'll be fine.

Yeah, it does sound really creepy and needy upon further review. I should have been more careful in my self-editing, and I meant befriend in the "adding a person to your friends list" context. What I really meant to say was "Old folks aren't all useless or no fun, you can actually benefit from running a dungeon or being in a guild with one, don't write them off." Sorry about that.

Glitch77
04-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Being mature is to knowing when to act immature as being exemplary is to knowing when to set an example. Forgive the cliche 'age means nothing', but the many living or rested examples in each age group of my personal life experiences have taught me that each individual is capable of setting a decent or poor example. It has been imperative to me to strengthen ties between all age groups. I tell them this...

Old one: "How long you gonna carry that baton?"

Young One: "Don't let the baton hit you in the face."

Every time I say either a baton hits me in the face. >.<

Lore, you won my first post with this video. Congratulations, but don't celebrate without me. ;)

Edit: Being my first post I thought to add public credit to my choice in registration.

wormspeaker
04-02-2011, 07:24 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZVk21Pco-c&feature=player_embedded

One of the things you need to remember when you're the old guy in the group, you often have to source your references for those who are too young to get them.

Carighan
04-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Did anyone else get seriously distracted by the right half of Lore's face being noticeably brighter than the left? ^_^

Toushiro
04-02-2011, 04:33 PM
I've watched CSI since I was 13. I'm only 20 or am I.