PDA

View Full Version : Druid Raiding with Cerebral Palsy

Underdog
03-26-2011, 01:51 PM
This isn't an easy question to ask so I'll just come out and ask it. My Balance Druid is ready for endgame content but my CP limits me to using my left hand for everything. I'm sure you can see problems with this already.....

My biggest issue is I have to fall into this rotation of: Plant myself, DPS, Move to avoid damage, stop then DPS again. I know as a player you can't really afford so much starting and stoping without your DPS falling through the floor. In an "Ideal" situation I can hit 10K (Which might still be low) but in a more hectic situation I can fall to as low as 6K.

I'm not really sure what I can do at this point and I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any ideas. I'm thinking macros might be my best bet. Thanks in advance.

klausi
03-26-2011, 03:27 PM
One quote comes to my mind:

The Balance spec in Cataclysm has a number of interacting buffs and procs, making it currently one of the most complex classes in the game to play well. - Source (http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t110353-balance_cataclysm_release_updated_4_0_6_a/)Well i guess you want as much control with your hand as possible, did you already try a mouse with several buttons? A Razer Naga comes to my mind.

Moving only with your mouse should be possible, that's something lot of us already doing right now. What's about clicking? What results do you got with that? There are seven abilities you'll need to reach all the time:

- Starfall
- Starsurge
- Moonfire
- Sunfire
- Insect Swarm
- Starfire
- Wrath

Another nine abilities you will need frequently or immediately:
- Mushrooms
- Hurricane
- Force of Nature
- Typhoon
- Solar Beam
- Barskin
- Innervate
- Battleress
- Tranq

What addons do you use to track your buffs/proccs and dot uptimes? Having clear information present to work with will help you.

Underdog
03-26-2011, 04:00 PM
My current addon setup is as follows:

-DBM
-recount
-Cooldowncount
-Quartz
-Eclipse Bar Plus
-Titian Pannel
-MiksScrollingBattleText
-Blizzart UI (I'll probably get rid of it as it is no longer updated.)

I also use Auctionlite, WIM, and Bagon but those aren't combat related so I'm not worried about those. As far as my mouse it's just a regular Kensington with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel. I'm guessing that I would be slower using the mouse as opposed to the keyboard, but if push comes to shove I'd be willing to try it, just not with a PUG LOL!

Fetzie
03-26-2011, 04:04 PM
You can get mice with a lot of buttons on the side, which you use with your thumb. I think i have seen one with 12 on the side, plus the normal buttons, and moving the scroll wheel sideway is also sometimes a "button" too.

This would leave you free to use mouse 1+2 for movement (both pushed down is set to "move in the direction you are facing" by default), mouse wheel for camera movement, and the rest for abilities.

Underdog
03-26-2011, 04:31 PM
I'll take that into consideration. I thought of a few ideas during my daily heroic run too. Would anyone know of any macros I could use to maybe lower the number of overall button presses I would need to do. I'll see if I can find a few. To Google! *Old School Batman TV show transition* :)

Destruyen
03-26-2011, 06:36 PM
i would suggest something like: http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.221675100/parentCategoryID.35156900/categoryId.53491100

you can put your keybinds on the pad and use your thumb to move with the d-pad. it still won't be as good as using both hands using the mouse to turn/move but it should be quicker to dps and move and possibly move and dps at the same time once you get comfortable with using it.

Underdog
03-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Only problem with that good sir is I switched to an iMac about a year ago. (I guess I was derp enough to believe most 3rd party WoW peripherals would work in Mac OS X.) In fact I used a pad very similar to that before the switch. Anybody know of anything similar to that which will work on a Mac? I run Windows 7 via VMWare Fusion for all my Steam stuff so as a last resort I can install the client on my Windows partition.

klausi
03-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Would anyone know of any macros I could use to maybe lower the number of overall button presses I would need to do.
Sadly you can't use at least some self created conditions in your macro.. so something like

/cast [starfalloffcooldown] Starfall; [shootingstarsproc] Starsurge; [ismoving,insectswarmalreadyup,nosolareclipse] Moonfire; [ismoving,insectswarmalreadyup,solareclipse] Sunfire; [noinsectswarmalreadyup] Insect Swarm; [nomoving,nomoonfireup,nosolareclipse] Moonfire; [nomoving,nomoonfireup,nosunfireup,solareclipse] Sunfire; [noismoving,starsurgeoffcooldown] Starsurge; [noismoving,eclipsedirectionsun] Starfire; [noismoving,eclipsedirectionmoon] Wrath

isn't possible. Macros used for freeing up buttons quite regulary need one or more modifier, something like

hitting the button casts Starfire
hitting the button while pressing shift casts Wrath
hitting the button while pressing alt casts Sunfire
hitting the button while pressing ctrl casts Starfall

But i guess with a one a two button mouse that's also not an option. You can combine several shapeshifts/travel options for movement like

#showtooltip /cast [swimming] Aquatic Form; [indoors] Cat Form; [combat] Travel Form; [flyable] Swift Flight Form; Swift Stormsaber /dismount [mounted]

but that won't help you really upgrading you dps. You might want to risk a glance here ( http://www.wowwiki.com/Useful_Macros_for_Druids ) to get a general idea of what's possible and what's not.

As far as my mouse it's just a regular Kensington with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel. I'm guessing that I would be slower using the mouse as opposed to the keyboard, but if push comes to shove I'd be willing to try it, just not with a PUG LOL!
Well you got basically five options here:
a) moving and playing with your keyboard
b) moving and playing with your mouse
c) moving and playing with a mouse/keyboard combined device like the one Destruyen posted above
d) moving with your mouse, playing via clicking
e) moving with mouse and playing with your keyboard

a) if i got this right this is what you're using right now
b) requires a mouse with more buttons like the Razer Naga. Advantage of mouse movement: you can turn around way faster and control your route more precisely
c) biggest advantage here should be the usage of at least one modifier freeing up a half of the buttons you have to press
d) something you could try out right now. Use a bar addon and cluster up your seven important dps'ing abilities next to each other and close to the center of your attention
e) will be the slowest and most uncomfortable i guess

Underdog
03-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Overall I'm viable for endgame where I'm at currently but you know how PUGs are.....the slightest inconvenience and everybody wants to kill each other. I'm in a good guild that knows about my disability and can work around it just fine. I suppose it really doesn't matter what others think as long as you do everything you can to maximize your potential if you're going to raid.

Really my only problem till now has been with PUGs. Maybe TotialBiscuit was right. PUGs need to die LOL! I think I might stay where I'm at for the time being and once a raid spot opens up I'll see what (if anything) needs adjusting on my end. I found the Elitist Jerks Balance Druid thread and I'll be using that as a reference. Thank you again everyone! :)

Pyorrhea
03-27-2011, 02:11 AM
Tip of the hat to you!

I remember, when we started of in Wrath that our Restro Shaman at that time had CP. He also has Arachnophobia, so lets just say when we where doing 'Maexxna' we had our ears full of it on vent.

That said, he was one of our best healers and did not limit himself to his life challenge. I did speak to him in admiration, as to how he can play so well with while having CP.

All came down to macro's, which made him able to move and cast with one hand. Still, I don't think anyone will be able to fathom how it would be to play with the use of only one hand. Even with macros.

Besides macro, the Razor Naga should be helpful. It has a whole side panel of buttons. If I had only one hand to use, this is what I would get.

Quinafoi
03-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Eclipse Bar Plus

Change to BalancePowerTracker (you will also find that referenced on the Elitist Jerks article by Hamlet).

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info18000-BalancePowerTracker.html

It shows the future state of Eclipse Power (including current spells in the air and the current spell you are casting). This allows you to accurately change your priorities at the right time. For example, you don't start casting Starfire cause you proced a Lunar Eclipse, you start casting Starfire cause your Wrath/Stasurge casts already traveling to the target will proc a Lunar Eclipse before you finish casting Starfire.

Underdog
03-27-2011, 11:57 AM
"In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders

Love that sig! I'll try switching and see what happens.

Grimsleeper
03-28-2011, 02:56 AM
There is one other option that you might want to look into.
Game Commander 2. It allows u to give commands or “press button” using your voice.
I use it for FPS games at lan parties, after a couple rounds they usually confiscate my microphone ;)

A couple more and I have to fight them off in order to keep my keyboard. Lol

sifuedition
03-29-2011, 08:55 AM
The previous post sounds awesome. Another thought is look into the n52. It has about 9 buttons with modifiers and has a joystick at the thumb. That could give you good enough access to keybinds while moving.

Selene
03-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Something to maybe look into is a foot petal system depending on the limitations on movement from your CP.
I know you said you were limited to your left hand and having a Mac makes it harder to find accessories, but just a possible suggestion.

Reev
03-30-2011, 02:24 AM
I've never known third party peripherals to fail to work on the macs I've owned. Are you sure you've checked for the appropriate drivers?

Illidra
03-30-2011, 09:22 AM
reev that particular razer thing doesnt have mac drivers.

neither does my fucking logitech mouse -.- but meh getting the spectre soon anyway so /care

Reev
03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Logitech has Mac drivers for their mice. They suck, but their pc drivers suck too. I used the logitech driver for my mouse on my Mac for a long while before deciding it was crap and getting a 3rd party driver. I still use the logitech driver for my pc, but it sucks. May have to look into a 3rd party option.

Quinafoi
03-30-2011, 11:12 AM
/cast [starfalloffcooldown] Starfall; [shootingstarsproc] Starsurge; [ismoving,insectswarmalreadyup,nosolareclipse] Moonfire; [ismoving,insectswarmalreadyup,solareclipse] Sunfire; [noinsectswarmalreadyup] Insect Swarm; [nomoving,nomoonfireup,nosolareclipse] Moonfire; [nomoving,nomoonfireup,nosunfireup,solareclipse] Sunfire; [noismoving,starsurgeoffcooldown] Starsurge; [noismoving,eclipsedirectionsun] Starfire; [noismoving,eclipsedirectionmoon] Wrath

Deja vu?

EvilOromis
03-30-2011, 11:57 AM
I strongly suggest you invest in a WoW gaming mouse. I use the three buttons near the top for run forward/strafe left/strafe right. Two buttons under it can be used for Wrath and Starfire. Two buttons on the left side for moonfire & insect swarm. Then there are another four buttons on the left and two on the right side which you can use for cd's such as Mushrooms/Force of Nature/Starfall/Starsurge/Typhoon/Innervate.

I haven't played Balance druid since end of wrath so sorry if my idea of your rotation is a little off. Just trying to help.

ironsides
03-30-2011, 03:48 PM
I agree with everything said here, you need to be able to move instantly while dpsing, macros wont do it for you, you need a mouse with a lot of buttons as everyone has been suggesting.

Heladys
03-30-2011, 05:34 PM
If your'e looking at the N52, take a look as well at the Logitech G13. Similar concept but with a little joystick that's easier to control accurately, and more buttons than an N52 as well.

What I dont know is whether it has Mac drivers available. I suppose I could check but I'm lazy.

Edit: Okay I got off my butt and checked and there are Mac drivers for it.

Selene
03-31-2011, 02:27 AM
I strongly suggest you invest in a WoW gaming mouse. I use the three buttons near the top for run forward/strafe left/strafe right. Two buttons under it can be used for Wrath and Starfire. Two buttons on the left side for moonfire & insect swarm. Then there are another four buttons on the left and two on the right side which you can use for cd's such as Mushrooms/Force of Nature/Starfall/Starsurge/Typhoon/Innervate.

I haven't played Balance druid since end of wrath so sorry if my idea of your rotation is a little off. Just trying to help.

Biggest problem I see with all the suggestions for different mice for him to use are almost all of them are for a Right-Handed user, and he said he is limited to Left-Hand.

I agree with everything said here, you need to be able to move instantly while dpsing, macros wont do it for you, you need a mouse with a lot of buttons as everyone has been suggesting.

Does anyone know of a mouse that has all the buttons for a Left-Handed user though? Since a lot of the extra buttons are for use with a Thumb which is where his pinky would be.

gd_void
03-31-2011, 08:22 PM
First off Thumbs up for even trying i know a few people that have just said 'i cant do this' and left it at that.

I'm Not exactly sure how CP affects people however i will take you at your word that you get no usage out of your right hand
That being said however if you can get some usage as someone mentioned before using modifier keys (alt/ctrl/shift) would be of a great advantage to you.

I found a few Options for you

#1 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153066
Ambidextrous mouse 9 Possible buttons (including Wheel UP/Down and Press)

#2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826141005
An Option bout all i can say about it, yea it's weird I Think(Honestly cant be sure here) it has Eight buttons.

#3 http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.182251700
This is In my opinion the Strongest option, Only Seven Buttons (including wheel up/down, press) it is a Strictly left handed model

Now Just to Go waaaaay off the beaten track You might want to consider Something like

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WMEHYG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000IMZHL2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02ZX5FQFDQXWPKYGWW7H

I'm Completly unsure as to wiether or not the joypad can be used like a mouse or not but if it can sounds like the answer to all of your problems. However Even if it isn't able to be used like that If one of the buttons is a Tab you should still be fine. It would make you a (omg the horror) a keyboard turner but what can you do.

Just a couple of things to consider hope this helps, best of luck.