PDA

View Full Version : Tanking help me out and point me in the right direction

Exander
03-23-2011, 06:56 AM
I am back from a vacation of about 4months. I was tanking halls when the gm told me not to tank like this was still lk. It made me look at everything - spec/gear/gems/enchanted. So I read up on things and tried to follow what I have read.

I am missing some enchanted as I can't find what I need in the ah and no one in the guild can do the. Also I am about to make the crafted chest and purchase jp pants.

My toon - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/uldum/rednaxe/simple

Bovinity
03-23-2011, 06:57 AM
What exactly went wrong? What specifically was the GM complaining about?

Exander
03-23-2011, 07:20 AM
I was aoe all the mobs on the first pull. Broke all kinds of cc. Yea I was fail. That's why I am here. To not be so fail.

Bovinity
03-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Oh, ok. Well, then gear isn't what you look at if you're having an issue with your play.

Start getting used to marking kill orders and CC targets. On pulls where its possible, try to make sure the combat is taking place away from the CC'ed mobs.

When you're the tank in a 5-man you're basically also the leader of the group, so you have to be the one laying all this out so that DPS/CC is happening in such a way that it makes your job that much easier. Communicate with people on how you're going to pull things, when and where you want the CC to happen, things like that.

Eventually it just becomes second nature and you don't really have to think about it so much, but when you're just re-learning it'll take some effort.

Exander
03-23-2011, 08:03 AM
I have been educated on playstyle. I have adjusted my taking.

What I am asking is "am I gearing/gemming/etc correctly? Look me over and tell me what I need to change/fix. I want to get it right.

Loganisis
03-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Gemming (until hardmodes):

Yellow/Prismatic = 40 mastery
Red = 20 parry/20 mastery
Blue = 20 mastery / 30 stamina

1. Do not use PvP gear, unless it's 362+ level. Resilience does nothing for tanking PvE anymore. Get your rep up with the Ulldum faction I can't spell and get their tanking bracers. Until then, grab the first wrist drop you find with mastery on it. We talent for crit-immunity now, so resilience has no affect in PvE.

2. Don't ever gem/enchant for hit/expertise unless (and these are the only times):
A) You are on interrupt duty, then you need hit (until 4.1 then you can drop all hit)
B) You are running hard modes and need the push TPS so DPS can go all out as soon as possible

So replace your glove enchant with mastery.

3. Spec out of Blitz and Blood craze. Put those point in Deep Wounds and 1/3 in incite or 1/2 in cruelty.

4. Replace your beserker rage glyph with an intimidating shout glyph so you don't send mobs running to pull other packs when using it (it's actually a fairly effective interrupt for trash packs).

5. Make sure every item has Mastery on it. For example your belt and legs should both reforge parry into mastery. And your Finger trinket should reforge parry into mastery.

Exander
03-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Now that's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Exander
03-23-2011, 10:04 PM
I got some upgrades and made changes. Look me over and tell me what you think.

Loganisis
03-23-2011, 10:22 PM
It looks pretty much textbook. Save for the DPS wrists XD

Exander
03-24-2011, 05:41 AM
Yea the wrists were an upgrade to the PvP ones. But you gotta work with what ya got.