PDA

View Full Version : Tanking New Prot Warrior looking for advice.

Savate
03-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Aloha all. :D

Let me start off by letting everybody know, my Prot Warrior is a character that I literally just made in January. It's a character I've busted my ass on to try to get raid-ready, and up to this point, he has no raid experience at all. He's simply been a heroic-runner to this point.

All I'm looking for is advice on how to get him as ready as he can be for raids. I think I've done a good enough job on him, gear-wise, without actually being in any raids, and I think he's ready to take that step. As of right now, because of the fact that he was a heroic runner, he's gemmed for pure mastery and avoidance. I'm looking for input as to whether or not I should change that and go for pure Stam stacking (which would put him at roughly 160k unbuffed), or if I should leave it as is. As of now with the mastery setup, he sits at 80.07% avoidance unbuffed, which has proven to be extremely useful for heroics, particularly. I'm basically just looking for a general overview from experienced warrior tanks as to what they would change to be prepared for raids, or if I'm good to go as is. :) Thanks for any input!

EDIT: Guess I should add my armory link, as that'd probably be pretty helpful, huh? xD

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/borean-tundra/mal%C3%ADvek/advanced

ironsides
03-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Well done, get the mastery trinket with resistances on use from Tol Barad. Almost BiS, and replace the darkmoon card with it. Sorry to say it but that card is basically a waste of money.

Loganisis
03-22-2011, 06:24 PM
A few small things, but overall pretty good.

First though, I'd second replacing DMC with the Tol Barad trinket (Broken Mirror)

1) You're red gems are parry/stam. Ideally these would be parry/mastery if you're not running hard modes.

2) You have less parry rating than dodge. Reforge dodge into parry. If parry is around 3% higher, roughly, you're going to optimize the benefit of Hold the Line with the increased diminishing returns Parry is subjected to. But right now you're even on the wrong end of the see-saw. So like your gloves, belt, and ring, reforge the dodge into Parry. You may also want to also reforge some reforged hit/expertise from dodge to parry.

3) Replace your heavy savage kits with the Rep enchants on your head and shoulders - Thezane I think. Both give more stamina and then give a tanking stat on top of it.

A few little nit-picky, but nothing big at all.

Tengenstein
03-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Building on Ironsides sage advice, i think there are also 359 tank bracers from ramkahen rep. and likewise get the rep shoulder and head enchants. Additionally, there is quite a large differce in you Parry & Dodge ratings, these should be kept about the same, favouring parry slightly. It is the rating that should be about equal not the percentage chance to avoid.

Savate
03-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Alright, well, I've gone through and made most of the changes you guys have listed. The only thing I haven't done is the rep enchants for shoulder/helm because I'm still working on the rep, and I have to start running TB to get exalted with Hellscream's Reach for the trinket also. But I reforged some of my dodge into parry and actually got it to be exactly 3% higher than my dodge, so I think that worked out well. Also switched out the parry/stam gems for parry/mastery in my red slots. My total avoidance has gone from 80.07% to 80.18%. :) Not a major difference, but every little bit counts. If there's anything else anyone has noticed or can give me tips on, please don't hesitate to ask! And of course, thanks to those of you who have given input already. :D

Veldine
03-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Depending on your guild rank, doing all the quests in Deepholm and 1 round of dailies will get you to revered with Therazene. That should only take you a couple of hours to do too. Pretty quick way to at least get the cheap shoulder enchant and the rings if you want it

Loganisis
03-23-2011, 09:35 AM
And of course the Therzane tabard in heroics for rep. You'll want to get exalted because thats where the best enchants are. If you do the 6,213 dailies in Deepholm and run a heroic a day, you should be there in no time.

Savate
03-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Working on Deepholm quests right now while my guild raids. I sat so some other members could get some raid time. The thing I'm worried about is this character may not even be able to raid because my guild already has a Prot Warrior MT. :(

Hamhead
03-24-2011, 01:42 AM
You keep up the attitude you've shown thus far and they should appreciate that they have a serious raider on their hands so should the call come they should know who to turn to...

I think that the only thing you can do is equip yourself with the knowledge of how to work the boss encounters and figure out your responses to them. Other than that depending on your guild's requirements with regards to raiding maybe look at a couple of pug raids (yeah I know, Shudder...) but at least you will get some experience under your belt...

And as always have fun with whatever you do....good luck!

Katzazi
03-24-2011, 02:01 AM
Working on Deepholm quests right now while my guild raids. I sat so some other members could get some raid time. The thing I'm worried about is this character may not even be able to raid because my guild already has a Prot Warrior MT. :(

If the other prot warrior is good, chances are probably low to get a main spot in this raid. People don't like to switch around their tanks much. Especially if the old one is a veteran prot player and you only tank for about two month. Sure raid-tanking is not very difficult in most cases at least in normal modes. But it's a prominent spot and sometimes needs quick reactions. Even for good players, it needs some time and tanking experience to get to excellent.

But maybe there are others in your guild or on your flist who would like to raid with characters that don't have a spot at the moment. Building a second raid may be something to think about.

Savate
03-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Well, as suggested, I'm doing what I can to get experience since I can't actually raid with my guild. I tanked a 10-man BH last night with him and I'm doing a couple random BoT trash runs just for the practice. He seems to be pretty solid, as I haven't struggled at all and I haven't received any complaints as far as being overly squishy or anything. :)

Loganisis
03-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Well, as suggested, I'm doing what I can to get experience since I can't actually raid with my guild. I tanked a 10-man BH last night with him and I'm doing a couple random BoT trash runs just for the practice. He seems to be pretty solid, as I haven't struggled at all and I haven't received any complaints as far as being overly squishy or anything. :)

That's a big thing too... I'm always asking my healers, even after successful kills, if they noticed anything on damage intake, trying to find out when the damage occurs and better preventing it.

Constant communication with your healers is good thing - be proactive in it :-)