PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Mercy Miscecordia

SalElmo
03-22-2011, 12:39 PM
To all those much wiser but patient pilgrims,
I very much need some expert insights on how I can improve my ineffective tanking. I did research on TankSpot etc. I thought I laid out a useful series of abilities/weapons etc. However, I really got criticized last nite by the dungeon team saying "they were really pissed that they were dying because of tank that doesn't know what he's doing. Also, that I shouldn't Q as a tank. i'm lagging. That I'm not drawing rage. (I have trouble identifying the right target) Defenisve Action Bar:
1.Charge
2. Thunderclap
3. Shield Slam
4. Rend
5. macro: [mod:shift.target mouseover,exist,targetassist/targettarget][mod:shift]Taunt:[=mouseover,exist,targetassist/targettarget]Challenging Shout
6. Thunderclap
7. Devastate
8. macro: /cast Heroic Strike
/cast Cleave
9.Vigilance
10. Victory Rush
I am thinking of putting this macro in action bar
-- macro: /cast Shield Slam
/cast Shield Bash
/cast Shield Block
/cast Shield Wall

Quinafoi
03-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Putting a button bound to "1" is meaningless if the user does not push the "1" key.

Now if I told you my DPS rotation looks something like 173544442732522222522476344544..., what does that mean to you?

Telling us where you put your actions doesn't tell us anything about how you use them. You need to provide a lot more information about what you are doing wrong (generating threat, AoE tanking, survivability, movement, ...). And then tell us about what you are doing in order for people to advise you in the correct way of doing it (where your mistakes are).

Quinafoi
03-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Sorry if that may have come accross a little offensive, but it's hard to offer advice to someone about what they are doing wrong when we don't have any knowledge about what they are doing. Put some more thought into where your problem areas are, tell us what you're doing and then someone with some knowledge about the particular subject matter can advise you on what looks wrong. Otherwise without any idea of what's going on, you're basically asking for a blanket guide in how to play your class, all the generic generalized advice instead of what you specifically need.

For the benefit of others who may try to offer you advise blindly, this is pretaining to a leveling Protection Warrior, currently mid 50s so still in pre-BC content. At least that will provide some basic context to people so they know they aren't advising someone on end game raiding (least not yet).

MellvarTank
03-22-2011, 02:27 PM
For very basic advice:

1) Mark a kill order. If they pull aggro off of you when they are attacking the wrong target, TS for them. If you don't mark, it's your bad. If they don't follow the mark, it's their bad.

2) You don't have a lot of tools and vigilance is pretty well useless unless someone is constantly pulling aggro (DPS DK in blood presence, etc.). Ignore it. You should be using Cleave for multi targets (rage permitting) or heroic strike for single targets as filler, shield slam is your single highest threat ability, devastate to stack sunder armor, and you should have Revenge as far as I recall (though I could be wrong, it's been a long time since I was sub level-80 on my warrior). If you are spec'd into blood and thunder, after you charge/shield slam/thunderclap/cleave/revenge you can rend/thunderclap again. Filler is devastate/cleave. Make sure you swap your target as well, but keep threat on your first kill target.

I would recommend you ditch the macro's too. I don't like the looks of any of them, they don't seem particularily useful.

Loganisis
03-23-2011, 12:15 AM
To all those much wiser but patient pilgrims,
I very much need some expert insights on how I can improve my ineffective tanking. I did research on TankSpot etc. I thought I laid out a useful series of abilities/weapons etc. However, I really got criticized last nite by the dungeon team saying "they were really pissed that they were dying because of tank that doesn't know what he's doing. Also, that I shouldn't Q as a tank. i'm lagging. That I'm not drawing rage. (I have trouble identifying the right target) Defenisve Action Bar:
1.Charge
2. Thunderclap
3. Shield Slam
4. Rend
5. macro: [mod:shift.target mouseover,exist,targetassist/targettarget][mod:shift]Taunt:[=mouseover,exist,targetassist/targettarget]Challenging Shout
6. Thunderclap
7. Devastate
8. macro: /cast Heroic Strike
/cast Cleave
9.Vigilance
10. Victory Rush
I am thinking of putting this macro in action bar
-- macro: /cast Shield Slam
/cast Shield Bash
/cast Shield Block
/cast Shield Wall

A) Is 1 an easy to reach key for you? If it is, you should replace charge with a more used ability. Having it as a secondary ability (e.g. shift+1 or something like that) would be better for less used abilities.

B) I don't use macros much - is your #5 using Taunt AND Challenging Shout on the same click? That seems overkill and counter-productive (a good waste of a long CD on Challenging shout if it's use isn't needed), plus Challenging shout is an AoE fixate, not a taunt. Targeting a creature outside of the range (based on you) isn't going to do you any good.

C1) I don't think your macro will work. And its purpose is confusing, it seems like you are trying to do too much with it and it's going to be a negative because of that. You have 2 abilities on the GCD with no timer built in (SS and SW) so you won't get the shield wall with it, I don't think.

C2) Why would you meld three distinct abilities that all have different uses into a single macro? With Shield block tying to 2 of them.

Shield Slam is a Threat ability

Shield Block is an increase in damage mitigation and a threat ability for any SS used while it's up.

Shield Bash is an interrupt which is only useful if the target is casting an interruptable spell.

Shield Wall is a major defensive CD.

Mixing all of them up together is going to hamstring your ability to best use the tools you have. You're trying to build a threat/mitigation/interrupt macro and I just don't see the value of it.

If you do end up macro-ing Shiled Block and Shield Slam togther, make sure shield block is before sheild slam, so when you do get heavy repercussion you'll get the damage/threat bonus from that.

Now, on to the points you bring up:

1. Lagging - are you? This doesn't really have much to do with your skill, but does impact your effectiveness.

2. Threat (rage) - how do you prioritize your threat tools on a trash pack? How about on a boss? Knowing which abilities you use will help identify any abilities used too much/too little.

Without more info as Quinafoi states, it's going to be hard to suggest improvements.

Without more information, Mellvar's suggestions are good to follow. err... edit... even with more information they're still going to be good to follow.

Hamhead
03-23-2011, 03:03 AM
Your tree fell in a forest and no one was about yet you ask 'what tree was it!'

You're really asking for a shot in the dark here chap...however there's general pointers that people offer and all are solid..here's my tupence worth..

1) Charge can be bound to a mouse button, I use a gaming mouse and find it handy to have it bound to middle mouse and sheild bash to thumb button.. That way I can charge and sheild bash without ruining the location of my hand and mouse.

2) Rend and thunder clap followed by shockwave should always be an opener, follow this with spreading devastates around for sunder armour stacks..the glyph can help by double teaming sunders on a nearby opponent - 2 sunders - 1 hit.. then switch target and repeat.

3) As Mellvar stated..control the fight by marking the first kill with a skull and then focus agro control on that..they pull a mob you have a taunt, they pull it again..they aren't following the fight and not helping you.

I have to say the macro's you have aren't looking anything crash hot...abandon them for now and just focus on the basics..learn the job you've subscribed to and then learn the flourishes.