PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Assassination - Your uses for Cold Blood

Katatonic
03-22-2011, 05:13 AM
So as the topic suggests, I would like to know the various ways you've found to use this rather awesome cooldown, the reasons for it and if it's for AOE or Single target DPS. (if you happen to have theory craft supporting for and against even better)

I'm interested in specific situations rather than just "I use it during Bloodlust/Main Nuke phases" - these are obvious to us all.

I have 3 current additional uses for it:

1 - To give a severe boost to my AOE DPS when used on trash packs sans CC.

After breaking stealth with a garrote I immediately apply a rupture to get both DoTs giving a chance to restore energy through Venomous Wounds then proceed with the FoK spam until I reach a point where my energy regen isn't keeping up (usually after 3-5 FoK with overkill active) then if the trash pack isn't going to die within the next 5 seconds I'll blow Cold Blood for 25 energy and another critting FoK hit.

2 - If my rotation has been broken by something, I have no energy, no combo points to Redirect to my target and I don't have time to wait as Slice and Dice is going to drop.

I'll pop it for the 25 energy, hit Mutilate and then quickly 3 CP envenom. Saves SnD from dropping and with the envenom buff allows me to stack Deadly Poison up quicker on my target, plus the chance for a 25 energy regen through Relentless Strikes.

3 - Smooth Transition from Mutilate > Backstab at 35% health

I'll often reach this point and realise I don't have the energy to Backstab and Envenom before losing my SnD. I could Envenom with 3-4 points to refresh SnD and then hit the Backstabs. However I'll often pop Cold Blood for the 25 energy to get me that Backstab to reach the 5 combo points before Envenoming and then just carry on my usual rotation from then on - it makes the whole transition very smooth when moving from a 55 energy to a 60 energy ability.

(This last one could be prevented with better energy pooling from me below 40% I guess)

So that's my uses, anyone else care to make an offering?

Zxian
03-22-2011, 11:53 PM
I would really recommend against your third use. The first two are valid, although really, there shouldn't be many times that the second case comes into play. Proper energy and CP management should prevent that from happening.

One thing to remember is that as long as you're not capping out on energy, there's no DPS loss in floating a bit of energy. Especially if you see that the 35% mark is coming in soon, start pooling a bit of energy. That way you can start using Backstab immediately, and still save your Cold Blood for Envenom.

Other than that, there really aren't any other valid uses for Cold Blood. It's a minor energy boost, and a guaranteed crit. Just make sure you're tracking your T11 4pc bonus if you have it, since the Deadly Scheme and Cold Blood will both be consumed on your next Envenom.

Katatonic
03-23-2011, 02:30 AM
Yeah, I already pointed out that if I energy pooled a little better around 37/38% that wouldn't be an issue. It's something I'm working on getting used to as I'm more familiar with Combat which feels a lot slower to play (although part of what's recently attracted me to assassination is that it feels very high paced).

Shame there's been little interest in this thread though, would have been nice to hear other peoples uses for CB.

(oh and cheers on the 4 piece heads up).

Krenian
03-23-2011, 06:08 AM
To be honest, I just like the color of the blue it does on my hands ;)

But seeing how this isn't helpful at all:

In a PvP situation, I use it immediately when I go down to sub 20% and I want that target dead. Whether in Arenas or in BGs, I know there's a healer around and I'm expecting them to get a heal, so it usually is a combination of CB/Envenom to really lay the guy out and be done with him. I normally just watch for health pools. The moment someone is low, they die.

Zxian
03-23-2011, 06:18 PM
I actually find Assassination much less spammy than Combat. Even though I'm not properly reforged for it, when I switch to my combat spec, I have a really hard time preventing myself from capping on energy if I'm not constantly doing something. I've never managed to feel comfortable with the energy bursts from back-to-back Combat Potency procs.

With Assassination, the larger energy pool as well as the higher energy cost CP generator mean that at least for >35% health situations, I've got more time to look around and react to the environment. Remember, in PvE Assassination, you want to minimize clipping your Envenoms as much as possible. This means that you've usually got a full 5 or 6 seconds before you need to hit Envenom again (and that's only 1-2 Mutilates during that time).

Katatonic
03-24-2011, 01:16 AM
I actually find Assassination much less spammy than Combat. Even though I'm not properly reforged for it, when I switch to my combat spec, I have a really hard time preventing myself from capping on energy if I'm not constantly doing something. I've never managed to feel comfortable with the energy bursts from back-to-back Combat Potency procs.

With Assassination, the larger energy pool as well as the higher energy cost CP generator mean that at least for >35% health situations, I've got more time to look around and react to the environment. Remember, in PvE Assassination, you want to minimize clipping your Envenoms as much as possible. This means that you've usually got a full 5 or 6 seconds before you need to hit Envenom again (and that's only 1-2 Mutilates during that time).

I guess I should explain what I mean by faster. Although yes, you're hitting buttons less frequently - I feel more of a sense of urgency when playing assassination.

Shorter SnD duration (even with cut to the chase), when switching targets I'm always looking to minimise my Deadly Poison x 5 stacking time so I'll usually make sure I envenom just before switching to my new target. On multiple targets I'm always trying to apply multiple ruptures while keep my DP stacks on all too either through switching targets or with FoK.

It just feels a lot faster, i'm constantly making choices where as a combat rogue I really don't anymore (maybe i'm just playing combat wrong).

Tyserus
03-24-2011, 10:11 AM
I've been known to use it when I'm in a one of those "run away from the boss" fights, have only 4 CPs and SnD is about to drop. I pop Cold Blood, stick em' with a 4pt Envenom to get that crit and refresh my SnD, then run. I know it's a waste of a cooldown, but it keeps my rotation fluid so I can focus on not standing in stuff. :)

Zxian
03-24-2011, 11:40 AM
I guess I should explain what I mean by faster. Although yes, you're hitting buttons less frequently - I feel more of a sense of urgency when playing assassination.

Shorter SnD duration (even with cut to the chase), when switching targets I'm always looking to minimise my Deadly Poison x 5 stacking time so I'll usually make sure I envenom just before switching to my new target. On multiple targets I'm always trying to apply multiple ruptures while keep my DP stacks on all too either through switching targets or with FoK.

It just feels a lot faster, i'm constantly making choices where as a combat rogue I really don't anymore (maybe i'm just playing combat wrong).

The only case where keeping rupture going for VW procs that I can see as being necessary would be on Halfus if your group decides to burn down the whelps first (and you're not on interrupt duty). Keep a bleed going on Halfus or a drake, and then just spam FoK. If there are 4 targets or less, you're better off just going for a single target scenario (you're likely trying to focus on a particular mob anyways at that point). If there are many more than that, it's likely trash, and max DPS doesn't really matter, so just FoK away.

You're right that Assassination has a more priority based playstyle than combat. Although using 5pt Ruptures as combat is better overall, I find it hard sometimes to work that into my rotation and still find the time for Eviscerate finishers. I also find that there are more situations as combat where having redirect available for a target switch (to keep Bandit's Guile up) is difficult, while hitting Envenom just before a switch can help you get your DP up and running more easily.

I've been known to use it when I'm in a one of those "run away from the boss" fights, have only 4 CPs and SnD is about to drop. I pop Cold Blood, stick em' with a 4pt Envenom to get that crit and refresh my SnD, then run. I know it's a waste of a cooldown, but it keeps my rotation fluid so I can focus on not standing in stuff. :)
Don't bother. Just keep the combo points you have, and if necessary, restart SnD again when you're able to attack the target. You're spending a fairly valuable cooldown, combo points, and energy just in order to keep a buff going that isn't going to do much (no point in having more attack speed if you're not attacking the target). Furthermore, the point of Envenom isn't the damage it does - it's the buff you get from it that's important.

Run away from the boss, pool your energy, hit SnD on the way in, Mutilate to get Rupture going (since this has also likely fallen off), and then back into your regular rotation.

swollenpickles
04-05-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm a bad rogue, but in all honesty I found that cold blood was (like an on use trinket) one of those things I'd forget to use. So I've just macro'ed it in to Envenom.