PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Having Dps Problems

Saytal
03-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Hey, I just started being a melee starting when cata came out I was Shadow Priest and did very well with that. But sense i didnt want be a range anymore i became a unholy dk for cata. My problem is that i am pulling around 13k on test dummys and about 15k to 17k depending on the fight. But my fellow guilds are saying that i am not pulling good dps with the gear i have one. I would ask them for help but my guild is mostly ranged dps and i am like the only unholy dk in raids and in the guild. So i was wondering if you guys could help me out to figure out what i am doing wrong.

My current rotation is disease, ss, fs, death coil and using dnd and garocolye and unholy frenz when they are up on cooldown. Also when ever death coil procs i use and a dark transformation.
Thanks for the helps in advanced,

Saytal

My Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/moon-guard/saytal/simple

Netheras
03-20-2011, 09:22 PM
I would read through the newly revamped Unholy DPS thread at EJ for more in depth analysis of what I'm going to say, but here's the link:
http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t120315-unholy_dps_just_act_natural_4_0_6_a/

I was surprised that you didn't have ANY expertise - but then I saw that you are using every last bit of your hit, which surprised me a bit more. I'm not sure that getting more expertise will help your dps, but from my own stand point, I do a fair bit more damage with my current gear which is a bit less awesome than yours. That doesn't mean it is my stats that are helping though, just something to think about.

Make sure you're getting your priority down, as I'm not sure that you have it quite there yet. Diseases first definitely, Dark Transformation you want to have up as quickly as possible, and then after that you want DND and SS. DnD as early as possible in the fight and then drop it every time it is up from CD after that (I usually drop it right after diseases if I know the boss won't be moving). Scourge Strike as often as possible, and use FS to pick up Death Runes for more SS. If you're doing this already then I apologize for wasted space.

As it is, your dps will definitely vary depending on the fight. Make sure you're planning out all of your CD's in advance for specific encounters. For instance, make sure you've drained all of your RP before AMSing the Blackout from Valiona in BoT so that you can get as much RP as possible for multiple DC's. The next time Blackout is cast, your AMS will be up again if you've timed it right. Don't forget about Empower Rune Weapon - its powerful if you know you've got 4 Death Runes that will come up in a few seconds and can get them all up instantly for devastating SS after SS. Pre-potting (using a potion right before the fight starts so that you have the benefit at the beginning, and then being able to use one again during the fight) helps a lot too.

Just noticed that your spec is slightly off - you want at the very least 1/3 in Magic Suppression. You can take that point from Runic Power Mastery, as 1/3 in there is the most you need since you don't want to have more than 100 RP most of the time anyway. Personally I run without it and just gain the full Magic Suppression.

With Improved Blood Tap, you're going to want to get the minor glyph for that - you can probably get rid of the Horn of winter glyph or the resilient grip. Horn of Winter is part of your rotation anyway, so you won't ever not have it up. I have it macro'd to Blood Tap myself.

Aside from that, all I can tell you is that you just have to check things over, test things out, and practice practice practice.

Saytal
03-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the help and that link i been looking at a old one i guess. If possiable could i see your gear and armory link for help if you don't mind. I have been using askmrrobot.com for the help with geting my best in slot gear and it really never says to get experise and also i was wondering what was wrong with me using my hit gear i have right now?

Netheras
03-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Nothing is wrong with using the hit gear you have. Just that personally I have more hit than I need, and I have reforged it all into other stats that I don't have on my gear already.

Definitely not saying that expertise is huge, but was just surprised to see that you had 0 - I have about 18 now and I'm not always behind the boss (my own failing) so I've reforged to crawl back up there and take part of my own problems out of the dps equation.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/eonar/netheras/advanced

That's me... Not terribly impressive, but he works out most of the time. I'm actually going online to find the Dark Succor glyph (cause my healers have a disturbing tendency to let my health drop).

Pastulio
03-21-2011, 10:13 AM
I haven't played my unholy DK since 4.0 during wrath but I think I remember expertise being rather low on stat priority. I am probably wrong as I am sure that many things have changed since then and I was probably ill advised at that time anyways.

sifuedition
03-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Hit and expertise are both low in stat priorities because the only thing we are out on a miss is the gcd. Having said that, it seems hard to end up with 0, lol. Interesting to see it can happen.

If you have not tried it before, get the addon clcdk. It is a rotation helper. Follow it for a while but not to blindly help your dps. Try to see why it is recommending what it does and then how you can do better. For instance, it usually does not recommend dnd so you will want to add that in. Also, you may have to deviate from it to get gargoyle up. I feel it has helped me understand the rotation better by finding where it is slightly wrong.