PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Exp'd Tank - Trouble on Halfus Fight

Findoan
03-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Like the post title says, i consider myself to be more experienced and knowledgeable than a new tank, but i ran into a problem this evening that i've never had, and can't figure out. The other tank in the reg 10m Halfus fight was a DK, and we tried having him pull Halfus while i tanked the Nether first, and when that failed, we tried vice- versa, neither to any avail. My taunts were missing about 90% of the time- literally.

I'll link my armory so anyone interested can check out my gear/ build etc, but to sum up i am exp capped, ilevel 349, fully gemmed and chanted (as optimally as feasible), with a hit rating of +2.21%. I know this isn't hit capped, but here's the other thing i know- i can't remember the last time one of my taunts missed on a boss fight, let alone so many times in a row that the other tank died waiting in vain for me to get Halfus to stop Mortal Striking him to death. His stacks were up to 22 when he died. This happened to us about a half dozen wipes in a row before we gave up and went to BoT. But just to let me know that my keybinding wasn't broken, or maybe the keyboard itself, (or maybe just to really get my blood pressure up) about one in ten or twenty taunts would work.

So here's what i know- we had a mini-patch/ hot fix this week. Taunts 'hitting' are dependent on hit rating. I haven't ever in my six year career of tanking in WoW been hit capped. I haven't ever had a taunt miss three times in a row. I've done the Halfus fight successfully several times with this other tank, and never had this problem. I had my Vigilance on the other tank, and it was refreshing taunt appropriately, and i was spamming it as often as possible. I could see my poor little dwarf screaming his head off, all to no avail.

Here's what i don't know- wtf happened tonight that hasn't ever happened in that fight, or in any other, to my memory. So i need help, guys. What happened tonight, what's changed, what am i doing wrong? Or am i correct to put in a ticket to Blizz and ask for the gib bat to stop smashing my face?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/hellscream/findoan/advanced

Loganisis
03-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Logs? There would be an uproar everywhere if taunts were reverted to missing again.

Honestly... I wonder if you wouldn't find the other tank has a taunt in his rotation that made him immune. I know it sounds basic, but in cata taunts don't miss and the probability of multiple misses in a row (assuming viged him for unlimited taunts?) is going to very minimal like you said.

Logs would probably be the only way to tell for sure.

Findoan
03-18-2011, 11:01 PM
I wish we had taken some sort of logs, but we didn't. Also, after wiping so much, i doubt any of us are eager to hop back in there again. And to take away from my claim of being older and wiser, i had forgotten that taunts didn't miss anymore. (i took an 18 month break after Ulduar/ before ToC) So it definitely sounds to me like maybe we should have walked away earlier, before the burn out bug bit us all, and submitted a ticket and done a different raid.

I'll ask the OT to double check his rotation, but neither of us use macros, so i'd be surprised if he was making that mistake that many times in an evening. Once or twice, we all do it, sure, but i literally stood back and watched my poor little dwarf scream his head off 8x in a row to no result.

Thanks for your input, Loganisis.

uglie
03-18-2011, 11:31 PM
To me it sounds like the other tank has taunt in his rotation. Have you ran with the tank before? I''ve had melee swings miss 3 times in a row but never a taunt.

Loganisis
03-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Opening a ticket would probably not have done anything... the most likely cause is taunt-immunity from somehow working a taunt into his normal rotation. Not really something a GM can fix if this is indeed the problem.

Prexie
03-19-2011, 08:10 AM
OT had either death grip or dark command in his rotation (more likely), or you weren't targetting proper target for taunt (less likely).

Either way, taunts don't "miss" anymore.

Findoan
03-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the valuable input, folks, truly appreciated. Now that i know/ have been reminded that taunts no longer 'miss', that at least lessens my sense of guilt and questioning my own abilities any further. I'll bring it up with the DK, but like i've said- he and i have lots of experience running as MT/ OT, swapping out the roles, and i'm fairly certain he doesn't run macros. I'll direct him to this thread, and maybe he and i can figure out where to go from here. Thanks again for your 'halp!' guys!