PDA

View Full Version : PST - Episode 21

Lore
03-18-2011, 04:30 PM
nYckCjIrf14

This week:

I respond to the FLOOD of questions after Weekly Marmot #73
How do I deal with players that just aren't improving?
Why is weekly maintenance still necessary?
Is it possible to raid with a hearing impairment?
and more!

Scottpoet
03-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Great episode

Dittles457
03-18-2011, 05:49 PM
to the question about server maintenance lasting 6-8 will most likely include patches for the server operating system and firewalls, its not just the realms and instance content that is being fixed.

Endevor
03-18-2011, 05:50 PM
I agree with Scottpoet, great episode. Also great use of the cause and effect fallacy pointing out just because something is on the PTR means it's going to be released.

Nattravn
03-19-2011, 12:35 AM
EVE Online actually have daily downtime. They take the server down 1 hour every day at 11.00 GMT. :)

WrestlerMonkey
03-19-2011, 12:37 AM
To answer every bad player question ever asked. "You can teach ignorance, but you can't fix stupid"

Scottpoet
03-19-2011, 03:16 AM
Had a mage from a pug/wipefest tell me today "I can't aoe the adds. I am an arcane mage." (H Stonecore, Corborus_boss_1)

So while I agree with Lore there is a fine line between being helpful and holding someone's hand, I also think there is a fine line between holding someone's hand and trying to reach through the computer monitor to strangle a them to death.

Therec
03-19-2011, 11:24 AM
As to why men play female characters, I know that at least with humans any woman model looks better than that hare-lip male model.

Zenxion
03-19-2011, 01:02 PM
I know of one guild that is pretty high up the world rankings that raids without vent/TS/Mumble:

http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/eu/ravencrest/Borked

Never mind, that's EU.

Not sure if there's anything similar on US servers.

Prinz
03-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Independence, Lightbringer EU are 7/13hc in 10 man and we dont use vent. Means everyone needs to know what to do and no hands are being held. Its weird, harder to call for cds, but cant argue with 7/13 hc.

Harekrsna
03-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Yet people never believe me when I say "They look better," or the joking way "I'd rather stare at a females butt all day than a mans."

But yeah, I played female blood elf because they looked better than male and the male ones would probably make me more likely to be gay than playing the female characters (seriously blizzard, did you have to make BE males so metro!)

Then when I rolled a druid before Cataclysm hit I rolled Tauren and I felt that the males looked better so I rolled a male Tauren.

Basically here is the race/gender breakdown for what I'll play.

Male: Undead, Gnome, Tauren, Orc, Troll, Human, Dwarf
Female: Undead, Troll, Human, Dranei, Blood Elf, Night Elf

The other race/gender options are just ugly and unacceptable for me. It is kind of like how I would never play one of those cat classes male/female in Everquest because they were just disturbing to me. But I loved Frogloks!

cutelowbie
03-19-2011, 09:24 PM
I gotta say I really liked the response to the question about the guild only downing Halfus maybe once every other week. I'm so tired of seeing raiders with bad attitudes towards people who just dont take it as seriously as they do.

doom1992
03-20-2011, 04:24 AM
About RNGs, every kind of RNG has a solution, its just finding out what causes it and find a way to deal with it. For example I was tanking Maloriak yesterday, and I got consuming flames, ran out the group as the MT, and got 1 shotted with the flame thrower. We said, it's RNG, because its unlikely to happen again, then it happens a couple attempts later, so we said, right, something needs to happen differently. I decided that I would stay in the group, ranged would move back, and as I get hit by consuming flames, I would pop shield wall, to survive through it, getting rid of the RNG factor.

Btw, Chimaeron, the break debuff isn't too hard to survive. Yes its a big healing reduction, but the boss hits incredibly slow, so just have a tank with relatively high expertise (to avoid the boss getting an extra hit when you get parried), and slow his attacks, and plus the tank only needs to be over 10k hp, so with 3 healers, you can certainly get a tank to 10k hp quickly. Of course on the offtank that eats double attacks, we would have time to fully heal the offtank even if he did get a stack of break. In our 10 man runs we don't get rid of break. Yesterday the offtank died very soon in the fight, which was due to someone standing too close to him and getting parried on a double attack. I managed to solo tank the boss to 20% with break stacked up and double attacks on me, so break isn't that much of a big deal, (I have high dodge and parry + trinkets for both, to avoid double attack killing me)

Katzazi
03-20-2011, 04:43 AM
just have a tank with relatively high expertise (to avoid the boss getting an extra hit when you get parried),

Bosses don't have parry haste at the moment. Expertise is not needed as any kind of survival stat.

Anyway, I think Lore was speaking about heroic Chimaeron. You have to tank the boss through feud on heroic mode and to be able to do that, your tanks switch around so the debuff may be fall off for the next feud.

Harekrsna
03-21-2011, 02:54 AM
About RNGs, every kind of RNG has a solution, its just finding out what causes it and find a way to deal with it. For example I was tanking Maloriak yesterday, and I got consuming flames, ran out the group as the MT, and got 1 shotted with the flame thrower. We said, it's RNG, because its unlikely to happen again, then it happens a couple attempts later, so we said, right, something needs to happen differently. I decided that I would stay in the group, ranged would move back, and as I get hit by consuming flames, I would pop shield wall, to survive through it, getting rid of the RNG factor.
All the groups I've run with all they do is leave the tank stacked w/ the rest of the raid members; it is easily healed through from what I can tell as a healer.

feralminded
03-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Wow I never even knew about the closed captioning option before. I turned it on and it was better than I imagined. Sure it made some funny mistakes but it was generally understandable.

I used to have one of my main-healers be deaf and he did very well. He always prepared for every fight and knew what to do better than the majority of the raid. Healing assignments were done in text in a special channel anyhow so it was a non-issue in the end.

mad_hatter_md01
03-22-2011, 07:41 AM
my only comment....Kim-er-on.

It's Kai-mare-on.

Camon
03-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Great show as usual Lore. One other tip I would give to people gearing up for heroics/raids after dinging 85 is to look at the rep gear from the different factions. Some of the 346/359 gear I'm still using like the tanking cloak from Guardians of Hyjal.
Keep up the good work. =)