PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Tanking gear check

gd_void
03-18-2011, 07:44 AM
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/thrall/oit/simple

While I realize I'm wearing 3 dps pieces still(Helm/shoulder/cloak) I'm wearing those pieces just because they have the highest EH out of what i have available to me right now. I'm getting the BoE Epic blacksmithing chest piece crafted soon as well. But I'm Wondering If so far I'm Doing it right as far as Gems/Reforging goes.

Also had a few other random questions

1. EH is still the way to go right? I cant see the game having changed so much that eh is actually bad.

2. I'm a JC, I have the 'MDPS' Mastery/STR(use) trinket would that be better to use then one of my STA trinkets?

3. I've been playing in an Almost Wraith like rotation Using runes dumping RP, Should i prioritize RS over HS?

4. Bloodworms? I Keep running into people who swear buy them but they still seem so so to me, the STR Bonus from Aboms might seems like it would provide more Survivability then a splash heal could.

4.5 If bloodworms are really worth it would it be better to move my points from Crimson Scourge into bloodworms?

5. Enchants I don't Want to Enchant anything below a 346 because it'll more then likely soon be replaced, but i cannot decide on what to enchant for my bracers, I'm leaning heavily towards haste, just to get my runes back up faster, opinions on this?

Right now i'm only Tanking Heroics(five-mans) I'm rather Overly Cautious about moving up into raiding due to the fact that i want to make sure that i am ready, So right now i'm looking at grinding Three more reps(dragonmaw, Hyjial, and Thraz) and 5500)to buy helm/shoulder/gloves) to be raid ready in my mind, do you believe this is a good path or will i be ready before that actual point?

Thanks For any Advice you give in advance.

Netheras
03-18-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm a little surprised you wouldn't have already gone and read up on DK tanking in Cata.

Go now, and reap the benefits: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?71144-Cataclysm-Death-Knight-Tanking-Satorri-s-Guide-to-the-Bloody-Future

That done, I'm surprised that someone finally picked mastery outright. So for gemming/reforging I think you've done alright. There's a lot more information over at EJ that you also might find to be helpful: http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t110102-blood_dk_endgame_tanking_4_x/

@your questions -

1. EH is not bad. Stamina is not as important anymore, but its still up there. Mastery seems to be the more solid choice in terms of avoidance/mitigation, with dodge/parry coming in a close second. You probably won't need to actively seek stamina until you hit heroic raid content.

2. Trinkets are a fight to fight basis, but as mastery is pretty awesome it doesn't hurt to use it. The trinket from Tol Barad is considered one of the better mastery trinkets in the game.

3. Constantly use RS as it has a 45% chance to activate a "random" rune that is asleep. It keeps your runes flowing. Because you can choose not to use your second blood rune (and maybe use Blood Tap and then another ability after) you can pull up one of the runes that you just used on Death Strike. DS is your most important rune ability, especially when you are stacking mastery.

4. The Strength bonus from Aboms might is pretty small compared to the bloodworms. The only reason to take Aboms might is if your raid does not have the 10% attack power bonus. The Bloodworms have a much more noticeable effect and combined with Vampiric Blood and other healing effects, they can really add to your healing done. That and the fact that they smart heal anyone close to them is an added raid benefit for your melee.

4.5 Yes. Crimson Scourge is good for AoE and for a small runic power benefit from the free BB procs, but you're also probably able to take the points from Aboms might just as easily.

5. Haste has an impact on rune regen, that's true. It might not be greater than the avoidance/mitigation you get from other enchants. There isn't a whole lot of math on the haste as a valuable stat, so I can't comment on its effectiveness.

@your spec:

There are a lot of DK tanks that do not use Lichborne, which is fine, but if you are looking for another survivability cooldown, this spec - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jcGr0sMruszG0obZ0b:so0zk which is made for 10 man (interrupts needed) gives you all the survival points. The Lichborne macro is as follows:

#showtooltip Lichborne
/cast Lichborne;
/cast [@player] Death Coil

So that when you use it, it Casts Lichborne, and then Death Coil on yourself for the healing benefit DC gives to Undead. To get the full benefit from this, you'd need the DC glyph, and to be at 130 RP ahead of time. It is a very planned CD, so it takes a bit of practice to master. Using VB at the same time can also greatly increase the healing from this CD.

That's all I have without rehashing a lot of what is already available both at EJ and in the Guide by Satorri.

gd_void
03-18-2011, 09:24 AM
I read the dk tanking guide here on tankspot, there is quite a few 'Personal choices' in there however. I have not read the EJ Guide however I'm now reading that now. When you say 'Stamina isn't as important anymore' I think of the rumor i keep hearing that 150K unbuffed is a magic number right now, to start raiding content is that true or just someone making things up?

Netheras
03-18-2011, 10:07 AM
I don't think its difficult to reach that point. Without a stam trinket I'm at 139k unbuffed and I don't have the best leg enchant either. Both of those would push me to 146k at the least. I'm in mostly 346 gear and a few 359 rep pieces. Just as a reference.

So no, I don't think you have to be at that point. You just have to be smart with your Death Strike, especially stacking mastery. I have mine up to 22.5 which is 140% Blood Shield. And I'm not a JC.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, I'm sure you could throw in a few half gems when your gear offers +20 mastery here and there for socket bonuses, and get more health that way (half mastery half stam).

Contravene
03-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Enchant and reforge your butt off to get optimal.. It makes a HUGE difference such as the healer will stop complaining. I am a Pally Tank so specific help I can't offer.