PDA

View Full Version : Priest New with shadow priest

Cutash
03-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Hello ppl. Im new at this class/spec and have been reading a lot, but i havent figure out a good shadow rotation :( if some one can tell what have been working for shadow ill be very thankfull

kingcomrade
03-17-2011, 01:07 AM
Keep your dots up, use mind blast on cooldown, use shadowfiend and archangel on cooldown, otherwise mind flay. People make a big deal about opening rotations but it hardly matters, it's the first 10 seconds of 6 minute fights. Mind Spike 3x + Mind Blast adds.

Nicki
03-17-2011, 05:25 AM
err not quite, you want to mind blast with atleast one shadow orb you 'can' miss one mind blast without a shadow orb but 2 in a row will mean you lose the buff Empowered Shadows (which you should aim to have about 80-90% uptime) however shadow orbs can be a bit random at times, which is why the openning rotation conversation seems so meaningless these days because essentially you rely on luck to get the most damage there have been pulls where I have had all my dots up and cast 3 mind flays and still not gained a shadow orb.

On adds it depends how much health they have and how many there are; Multidoting is by far the most effective dps with 3 adds up that have a decent ammount of health while you do a combination with 5+ having some dots rolling and mindsear (make sure emp shadows stays up though). Then you have to decide whether you dot with VT+SW:P or just VT as VT is a good damage per cast and once you start casting alot of dots mana can go quite fast. Basicly Mind Spikex3 + Mind Blast is limited to heroic dungeon trash but does find some use on some raid encounters but its a rare situation.

On rotation for bosses; get your dots up and keep them up refresh at the 4-5 second remaining mark unless you can perfectly time it. Then use shadow fiend so you get more than one use and damage out of it. Now flay until you have a shadow orb and mind blast to get empowered shadows up, Then mind flay until 5 stacks of Dark Evangelism are reached and pop archangel. Now its just a case of keeping everything up and watching your mana as at lower gear and mistaken casts you might struggle for it so you will need to throw in SW:D casts which return mana through Masochism and if anything gets below 25% you want to cast shadow word: death twice in most cases unless you have a 3 orb mind blast ready.

However you should read the Elitist Jerks thread and the many guides floating around the internet (guide threads usually have more information on the following pages then in the actual guide!) Shadowpriest.com has a number of threads discussing spellcasting too.

Blue
03-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Get an addon that has a timer bar, for spell casts, that takes into account server lag. If you can develop the timing of your casts, it will greatly improve your dps. I recommend Spellflash, or Fortexorcist, but there's probably others...

Agree, on the Mind spike/Mindblast/Shadow Word:Death, for trash mobs, and dailies...any fight will be short...otherwise, "dot 'em up!"

Just remember, only use Mind spike, as an opener--otherwise it kills all your dots, which is almost always a bad idea.

For me, the classic Boss opener, is VT (or Mindspike, if I want a sharp opening burst--but be careful--time that wrong, and you'll be hitting Fade!). Generally, I still go with Mindblast next, with or without orbs, then instant dots, and Mind flay...etc. Sprout the wings, when they are aura-licious (at 5 stacks)!

Oh, and if you're talented for it, try to work in a step or two of movement, when you're hitting instant casts...this will help produce the shadow clones of yourself. A small increase, in dps, but no sacrifice to do, as movement seems to be greatly expected, in this expansion, anyway.

1stormchaser
03-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Below are a couple macros which should give you an idea on a good, but not the best, rotation. They allow for your cool-downs to expire and your dots to take their full advantage. A lot of players either won't admit to using macros or they really don't use macros. Some fights macros are a good idea while other fights they don't allow the time needed. When you find yourself running, using an instant cast like Devouring Plague will keep your dps up since there is an initial damage upon hit. With that being said, on the start of any fight it's always best to start with VT.

Macro for most Boss fights.
/castsequence [nochanneling] reset=target/10 Vampiric Touch, Devouring Plague, Mind Blast, Mind Flay, Shadow Word: Death, Mind Flay, Mind Blast, Vampiric Touch, Mind Flay, Shadow Word: Death, Mind Flay,

Macro for trash below 800 HPs.
/castsequence [nochanneling] reset=target/10 Vampiric Touch, Mind Blast, Mind Flay, Mind Flay, Mind Flay, Shadow Word: Death,

As for using Mind Spike, I haven't found a good use for it. To me, it's a waste.

Pseudocide
03-21-2011, 05:46 AM
Macros are awesome. I played my Shadow Priest for the first time in a month last night for a BH run. I did 17.1k on Argaloth, with a 354 ilvl, while only using a macro. I get mine from shadowpriest.com. Squinky has a great thread there with different macros for different haste/latency levels.

Pastulio
03-21-2011, 10:02 AM
power auras and fortexorcist are your best friends if you take a little bit of time to learn how to set them up properly.

1stormchaser
03-21-2011, 10:06 AM
I did forget to mention that SWP should be your first spell but I believe that should be common knowledge. As far as Empowered Shadow goes, I've found that it procs quite often (I use Proculas addon) and it shows to have an uptime above 80%. SWD is weak but the mana you gain is priceless.