PDA

View Full Version : The Weekly Marmot - Dealing with RNG

Lore
03-15-2011, 08:00 AM
r4gcUDeYu-Y

Follow me on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/devolore) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/devolore)!

Riz
03-15-2011, 08:05 AM
1st...BAM!!!

Rng- Think Chess...Plot your moves, see 5-10 moves in advance..Be Proactive instead of Reactive...

Edit: I agree, seeing someones UI with 1 6 space action bar just boggles the mind...Wheres your oh shits? having ONLY the main rotation buttons out i just dont understand...

Lore
03-15-2011, 08:08 AM
This might be the best preview frame yet.

Banhammer72
03-15-2011, 08:36 AM
RNG ? huh

Is that the same as "Shit Happens!" ? :D

Bung
03-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Are we related or are you reading my blogs?

Bashyou
03-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Is that a new place or did you just make it REALLY dark?

Bashyou
03-15-2011, 09:30 AM
1st...BAM!!!

Rng- Think Chess...Plot your moves, see 5-10 moves in advance..Be Proactive instead of Reactive...

Edit: I agree, seeing someones UI with 1 6 space action bar just boggles the mind...Wheres your oh shits? having ONLY the main rotation buttons out i just dont understand...

i run 8 fully stocked action bars. on my hunter. basically if it can be on a action bar, it is.

Therec
03-15-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Right now my 10-man is working on Nefarian and we have "that guy" in our raid group. He's our add kiter in phase 1 as well as one of the interrupters during phase 2. If he dies in phase 1 kiting adds it's because either the RNG didn't spawn the adds in the right places so he couldn't group them well, or because the RNG caused Onyxia's lightning to be active while he's on the edge of the kiting path, killing him. In phase 2 if he misses an interrupt it's because the RNG caused him to not have enough runic power (he's a DK) for the interrupt at the time. I tell him that it's his mistake and that he needs to correct it in some way, but he refuses to accept that it's his fault.

Sorry for the rant, love the videos lore, both the Weekly Marmot as well as PST. I enjoy Legendary as well. Keep up the good work.

Uranos7
03-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Love the new Diggs Lore! :cool:
Welcome to the 21st century. ;) (JK)

Yes I have seen the same person blame the RNG over and over again, and have Lifegripped them out of one situation only to see them get in another. :rolleyes:
Although we are very forgiving if a person is still learning the fight we use the 3 strikes rule. If they do the same or similar thing 3 times then they aren't learning from their mistakes and are out. :eek:

Rennadrel
03-15-2011, 09:59 AM
I think RNG comes in a lot of different forms. Classes that rely on proc generation, like Frost Death Knights, or getting free uses of Inquisition or Templar's Verdict was a Ret Paladin, then there is raid RNG sometimes. HM Atramedes is one of those fights that I find can be a bit RNG heavy, especially during air phase when he decides to target the guy hitting the gongs, or if he does a sonic breath while everyone is dodging discs so the person he targets has to run back the opposite way.

Voldra
03-15-2011, 10:05 AM
New diggs is lookin good Lore.

As for the RNG, I've never really blamed anything on it. So I'm in agreement with you for the most part that yes, it's other peoples fault for dying 90% of the time for doing stupid things like standing in the fire way to long or not running and then something explodes on them.

One thing I have noticed though in raids is once one person dies, it tends to turn into a chain of other people dying shortly after until a wipe occurs. Thats just from what I've seen.

Kanzer
03-15-2011, 10:12 AM
My favorite weekly marmot to date I think. I've had to explain this many times to 'that guy'

enreldt
03-15-2011, 10:20 AM
The only "stupid RNG wipe" thing I've seen in Cata raiding would be the occasional horrible Gravity Well spawns on Twilight Council.

Katzazi
03-15-2011, 11:13 AM
I like the new setup. :)

Well there are a little bit too much reflections, but well, I think you will try to be the guy to improve, even if they are not RNG based...

Anyway, while I've seen wipes because of the RNG they are very seldom. I never would blame RNG for a wipe. If you do that, you have to thank RNG for a kill eventually. And I've seen more kills because of nice RNG than wipes because of undealable bad RNG. Sure, there may be wipes with RNG involved. But must times players ar just not up to where they could be to deal with this situation. If the same situation would happen some weeks later it would probably not be a problem.

But what I hate moste, are those players blaming the RNG when they pull aggro off of the tank "Uhh I got so many crits, I could not do anything there". They just could have stopped to do something for a while. And then there are those who blame their bad dps on RNG. Sure you may be very unlucky, but most classes have at least something to cover some unluck. But even when not - if they have high dps because they are lucky, they don't thank the RNG either.

Krenian
03-15-2011, 11:36 AM
I enjoyed the part where you were on Paragon's blog, and then it cut to another scene and Tankspot's page was back.

Heh heh heh XD

Shosanna
03-15-2011, 12:15 PM
love the new set up :)

Reev
03-15-2011, 12:32 PM
I hate it when my guildmates blame things on RNG. RNG can make things more difficult, but that doesn't mean it's bad design. Same goes for dps. Using bad RNG luck as an excuse for poor dps is silly. Fire mages complain of it all the time. Work with the mechanics, not against them.

krilz
03-15-2011, 05:27 PM
There are some cases of RNG that I just hate on 10-man. H: Maloriak for example had this awful element where the add tank could be targeted by Flash Freeze which meant that if your tank had 6-9 adds on him, he was dead in a second. Really. 190k hp to 0 in 1 second. And there's really no way you can predict that. Thank God, Blizzard realized this as well and have done numerous fixes to it and we hardly see it anymore as it pretty much meant a wipe anytime it happened.

There's also the dreaded element of RNG on H: Chimaeron whether the tank will avoid double attacks or not during Mortality. We've been opting for 3 tanks on this to counter that somewhat since it allows us to end up with at least one Break-free tank with all his cooldowns up so in worst case scenario he'll be able to hold out for at least 10-20 seconds. It's frustrating, but not unbeatable.

H: Atramedes is not too much RNG-based, it's actually one of our favorite fights because the RNG is not very present at all. H: Conclave was frustrating but not because of RNG, just because the sheer amount of damage put out; if you fail somewhere, you're dead = wipe, since our only combat rez is a druid tank (well, we have Soulstone but that one has it's obvious flaws).

Prinz
03-15-2011, 09:14 PM
I joined a raid with another guild on an alt last week and during Valiona a hunter died to her flame breath. When asked he said, damn I moved to avoid the meteor and then got breath on me. Having a hunter as my main I asked if he popped deterrence, he replied... whats that? I just lol'd and told him to learn his class :p

Pers3us
03-16-2011, 03:11 AM
I most definitely stickied this video on my guild forums.

Lore, I need to find you and shake your hand at Blizzcon this year. I can't promise that it will not be a drunken handshake, but that all depends on when I happen to stumble across your path.

Of course I have to shake Mike B's hand first, just in case he feels left out.

Striked
03-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Love the new set up! Also I love the stuffed animal that's just chillin' in the back of the room. =D

Katzazi
03-16-2011, 04:42 AM
Also I love the stuffed animal that's just chillin' in the back of the room. =D

Is it a unicorne? think it's quite scary. As a female it reminds be of many very bad things I definitly want to forget... I think only girls below a given age should be alowed to own something like that. Well if Lore reads this he will probably start the next marmot with kuddeling it, just to scare us even more. On the other hand - he playes a paladin - they are expected to love pink.

Hnetto
03-16-2011, 05:18 AM
I think the only issue with RNG in the current raid tier was Maloriak Flash Freeze. That could take down a tank in about 1 second depending on the position of the adds. Of course you can deal with it by making sure you are never close to the adds when Flash Freeze is off the cooldown, but it's an odd mechanic.

Thank god the days of stupid RNG are done. I remember back in BWL doing Vael fight and one night he simple decided that he was going to put burning adrenaline on each healer of the raid one by one. :(

Nice new setup.

Deathsvalor
03-16-2011, 06:51 AM
"RNG made me fail."

Translation: This is easy, or at least it was supposed to be. It was easy last time. RNG made it hard this time and I just could not deal with the difficulty nor do I want to. I will wait until it is easy again and then I will succeed.

Harekrsna
03-16-2011, 06:54 AM
Every guild seems to have at least one of "that guy," and I find it especially annoying when that guy is the guild leaders best friend or girlfriend or some other significant person who is just there making a mess of your raid night.

So the guild I am in right now has a mage who is "that guy" and every time I'm looking at him because I know hes going to be the one who I waste my CDs on to keep him alive. The funny thing is that I went and healed for another guild who was working on Cho'gall and they had a mage who is that guy too, he would be the only one getting past 25 corruption before the last phase of the fight. Constantly getting hit by corrupting crash.

As usual I like your logical approach to all things WoW, keep up the good work Lore!

The setup you have going is definitely more modern, like the screen in the background I'm sure you can find some useful things for it in the future! Maybe consider moving the Starcraft poster, as cool as it is I think you are going to have a hard time getting rid of the glare. :]

Riz
03-16-2011, 07:30 AM
I'm sorry, but RNG has always been a factor in WoW...Why is it suddenly the new "FotW" to blame everything on RNG?

Edit: I should be morespecific...I wasnt bashing the video in ANY way, shape, or form..Its an excellent video...No, im refferring to the players who seem to have just learned what RNG is, and it has suddenly become the most popular "scapegoat" for the mistakes made...Love the Vid actully, as I usually do!

Katzazi
03-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Because people have learned that they probably should not blame healers and tanks anymore?

Hnetto
03-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Well blaming the tank or healer can get you killed several times in a row (i tend to let complainers die so they can learn from their mistakes :P), blaming RNG will only get you killed as many times as you are incapable of executing the fight properly. :)

So yeah, RNG is a better scapegoat.

Mwawka
03-16-2011, 05:01 PM
If you don't let them blame rng, they'll go back to blaming lag. What it comes down to is accountability and the fact that those who accept some, learn from their mistakes and those who don't become 'that guy'. Great players even look at situations that weren't their fault and try to figure out if they could have done something to save thecsituation.

Marke522
03-17-2011, 06:07 AM
I wonder if any of the bad players that blame RNG are actually going to see this video. :(

Katzazi
03-17-2011, 06:24 AM
If they do it they will use it to blame other people who did not cover the RNG to help them.

sakkdaddy
03-17-2011, 08:21 AM
As a raid leader myself for a few years now, this is one of the main frustrations I have had in the past with some of my raid members. It's great when people recognize bad situations that weren't expected before, and can tell the rest of us exactly what happened so we can plan a way to avoid it. It's really frustrating though when people just blame RNG and don't really make an effort to avoid those bad situations in the next pulls.

Almost everything in WoW is perfectly controllable, so RNG is rarely a good excuse for dying.