PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Is there a Block chance and Mastery Cap for Prot Pally?

Brah
03-12-2011, 07:11 PM
As the subject states I am wondering if there is a block cap and mastery cap where I need to be aware of and start thinking of having to reforge mastery away into Dodge/Parry? I am getting geared up enough now where I believe I am able to start thinking of tanking tier 11 content. I have over 2100 Mastery ... just shy of 49% block. Also, did I hear correct that Str doesn't improve your block rating?

I apologize for the noob questions as of late but I quit wow before ICC was released beyond the first 4 bosses and came back a month or a little more late after Caty was released.

Fetzie
03-12-2011, 07:49 PM
As a paladin you can hard-cap your mastery rating. This hard cap is dependent on your avoidance values.

When your dodge chance + parry chance + miss chance(5%) + block chance is equal to or more than 102.4%, your mastery (i.e. block chance) is capped. You will, however, need a lot more than 2100 mastery to cap your block, it is about 4000 mastery rating at current avoidance values.

Brah
03-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Holy Mastery batman! not as in the holy spec but you get what I mean.... In other words I dont have to worry about hitting the Mastery Hardcap anytime soon...... I was mousing over my avoidance stats and when I seen i had over 2100 mastery rating I was thinking holy crap I have mastery coming out my ...... ears. Almost ready to snag the epic Boots and Backpiece from rep so Ill be going up..... but not that much as my boots already have mastery on them so the major gain will be on the backpiece.... but that will probably just put me at or just above 50% block... Which should be pretty good for gear atm im assuming.

Thanks for your replies and info Pyrea.

Dedic
03-12-2011, 09:48 PM
The mastery cap exists but is unobtainable by paladins in any gear at this point. You want to get dodge/parry to their respective points of diminishing returns and reforge/gem/enchant the rest into mastery. Diminshing returns is well documented, so I won't state them here. Just look it up if you're not sure.

klausi
03-12-2011, 11:24 PM
The mastery cap exists but is unobtainable by paladins in any gear at this point.
You can reach it rather easily without gemming for pure mastery and ignoring all socket boni or enchanting dps rewards with mastery over the tanking ones.

This does not include proccs from Windwalk enchant or any trinkets but requires picking up two trinkets with mastery.

104.39% - http://chardev.org/?profile=74248

Other options include picking up Alchemy for the passive stamina/mastery trinket and running with either Armor or Prismatic + Mastery elixir.

After all you need close to 4.000 mastery and 3.500 avoidance rating to achieve this goal.

Fetzie
03-13-2011, 06:44 AM
You can reach it rather easily without gemming for pure mastery and ignoring all socket boni or enchanting dps rewards with mastery over the tanking ones.

"rather easily" = full 372/379 heroic raid gear? Excuse me if I am wrong, but most people aren't going to get that kind of gear until Firelands...

klausi
03-13-2011, 11:43 AM
What else could you aim for at this gear stage if you could manage it with 346/359 gear? :)

~ 95% avoidance at 359 is totally possible without the mastery elixir/alchemy stuff, that's not as good as being unhittable but noticeable close to it http://chardev.org/?profile=74597